Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Line X Platform

Headhunter 2317

looking at those pix, it appears that they just shot Line X over the entire platform, and did not dismantle the platform and shoot each piece separately. If that is true, then how will it hold up to the flex of the different sections?? I know that when I walk on my step, depending on where I put my foot, one board will flex much more than the one right next to it. This would cause cracks in the Line X application, wouldn't it?

This would cause cracks in the Line X application, wouldn't it?

You might think so but, Line-x has some flex. It's actually like a skin. I drilled through some on an edge of my truck's tailgate and where the Line-x ended, you could peel it up.

The only thing that would concern me is the water that is now trapped inside the wood. They obviously didn't shoot in between the slats. Now, when that platform is submerged, water is going to get in for sure but, have a hard time getting out/drying. I picture that platform rotting in about 5 years. I do think it looks good, though.

Edited by Pistol Pete

Headhunter,

If you wind up getting a H/B as we discussed, and you find your BU tied up to it all day in the sun and you then step off the H/B onto that black platform, I'm confident you'll be wishing you might have sprung the extra $ for a lighter color.

Not that I would know Whistling.gif

looks good anyway.

Edited by LS-One
In 5 years I hope to be enjoying my 247.....

With lots of little waffle looking scars on the bottom of your feet :lol:

Edited by LS-One
Headhunter,

If you wind up getting a H/B as we discussed, and you find your BU tied up to it all day in the sun and you then step off the H/B onto that black platform, I'm confident you'll be wishing you might have sprung the extra $ for a lighter color.

looks good anyway.

My demo Line-X truck had all the colors we offered sprayed in a stripe pattern over the entire truck. The black area of the Line-X is by far the coolest to the touch in the San Antonio sun. We did two bay boats, one with light gray and one with black. It was amazing how much cooler the black was. If you look closely at the black it has tiny silver reflective material in it.

Don't try this with the black Rhino liner. It's smoking hot.

This would cause cracks in the Line X application, wouldn't it?

You might think so but, Line-x has some flex. It's actually like a skin. I drilled through some on an edge of my truck's tailgate and where the Line-x ended, you could peel it up.

The only thing that would concern me is the water that is now trapped inside the wood. They obviously didn't shoot in between the slats. Now, when that platform is submerged, water is going to get in for sure but, have a hard time getting out/drying. I picture that platform rotting in about 5 years. I do think it looks good, though.

Teak does not rot because of it's natural oils. I wouldn't be worried... Thumbup.gif

Headhunter,

looks good anyway.

My demo Line-X truck had all the colors we offered sprayed in a stripe pattern over the entire truck. The black area of the Line-X is by far the coolest to the touch in the San Antonio sun. We did two bay boats, one with light gray and one with black. It was amazing how much cooler the black was. If you look closely at the black it has tiny silver reflective material in it.

Don't try this with the black Rhino liner. It's smoking hot.

Have you ever done a trailer? How did it turn out?

Hmmm.... I still like the look of teak au naturale.

Concerned about UV damage and sun bleaching??? I took my platform to a local canvas shop. They kept my platform for a few weeks in the off-season. Found some left-over Sunbrella. Did my mini job in-between larger jobs. Cost just under $100 US. Used it all last season. Attaches underneath with velcro. On-off in under 60 seconds.

I get the best of both worlds. Good looking teak with minimal refishing.

Have you ever done a trailer? How did it turn out?

We've done M/C and car haulers with Line-X with excellent results. I've never seen a boat trailer done but most of the bay boat trailers in South Texas are galvanized.

Hmmm.... I still like the look of teak au naturale.

Concerned about UV damage and sun bleaching??? I took my platform to a local canvas shop. They kept my platform for a few weeks in the off-season. Found some left-over Sunbrella. Did my mini job in-between larger jobs. Cost just under $100 US. Used it all last season. Attaches underneath with velcro. On-off in under 60 seconds.

I get the best of both worlds. Good looking teak with minimal refishing.

I agree that these covers are well worth the money. I got one in the screaming sacs group buy because I was having a problem without the dirt that collects on the rubber pad (fiberglass platform) took half the day to clean off so we didn't track it into the boat.

Mine has three straps to keep it in place.

I will be doing the Line-X at some point also. We have had it in all our trucks and for the platform, IMO, it is a great idea. We have the fiberglass platform and while it is VERY new, I'm curious to see how long it keeps up especially with our lab on it since it's the only place he doesn't wear his booties. I am also concerned about the edge with wakeboards and such scraping the edges. If this happens quick enough, I will scrap off the pad and have it sprayed.

I will be doing the Line-X at some point also. We have had it in all our trucks and for the platform, IMO, it is a great idea. We have the fiberglass platform and while it is VERY new, I'm curious to see how long it keeps up especially with our lab on it since it's the only place he doesn't wear his booties. I am also concerned about the edge with wakeboards and such scraping the edges. If this happens quick enough, I will scrap off the pad and have it sprayed.

I refuse to let you do that to your boat!! Biggrin.gif

That thing is brand new, the dog is so well behaved he will not do any damage,the rubber is thick, and besides you can't Lin-x the Malibu logo.

I refuse to let you do that to your boat!! Biggrin.gif

That thing is brand new, the dog is so well behaved he will not do any damage,the rubber is thick, and besides you can't Lin-x the Malibu logo.

DAMN!! Alright, alright......I won't seem so anxious to do that. Sheeesh. Biggrin.gif

I can tell you that it has been great in two days on the water. Never really got warm in 85 degree sun. The texture is perfect as well. A little grippy without being rough. So far, I am very impressed.