Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Line X Platform

Headhunter 2317

I took my terrible looking platform to the local Line X Dealer today. I'll be going with black instead of a color. $100.00 and I will never have to maintain it again. The price was $200 if I wanted a custom color.

I figured a colored one would look Pimpish. He said I can pick it up at the end of the week. I'll be sure to post pictures.

Yeah, I'd like to see the end result. I've heard of several people people doing this but was the maintenance of the teak really that big of a pain?

We are probably going to do this this summer. Please post pics of it when you get it back! Did you have to do anything speacial to the platform before the line-x was applied? Besides the obvious "rough up" did you finish it off with sealer of any kind or did you sand it all the way down to get rid of the old teak oil? Do you have a wedge door? Does the added thickness of the line-x get in the way of the wedge door opening and closing?

I've seen black and grey Line-X® on boats before.

Pros> No maintenance it will take alot of abuse and It looks a little better than beat up teak.

Cons> It looks a little better than beat up teak.

Line x is a great product. I have a line-x liner in my Tundra and it has been awesome. My only beef with it is that over time it has began to dull...not shiny like when new. I have seen other liners from different manufacturers, however, that have not held up nearly as well as my line-x.

That being said, I wonder how long it will look good on a platform that gets a lot of exposure to the sun?

Make sure you have them spray it with a finer pattern...the one in my truck is so coarse it would not feel too good on skin!

Line x is a great product. I have a line-x liner in my Tundra and it has been awesome. My only beef with it is that over time it has began to dull...not shiny like when new. I have seen other liners from different manufacturers, however, that have not held up nearly as well as my line-x.

That being said, I wonder how long it will look good on a platform that gets a lot of exposure to the sun?

Make sure you have them spray it with a finer pattern...the one in my truck is so coarse it would not feel too good on skin!

They can spray some extra coats of clear on it for not very much more. They reccomended this when I was talking to them about getting a tower box done in smooth black.

Man, the platform in the pic looks pretty rough. That seems like it would do a number on your "junk" if you were sitting on it. I'll keep my smooth teak, thank you very much.

According to the guy that is going to do it, he'll be able to work around all of the hardware without causing any problems with the function of them. He says he can adjust the spray thickness very easily.

I priced a new fiberglass platform. YIKES!!!!!

Here is a pic I found over on WW, in the thread it says that the line-x job is 2 years old...I think it hold up pretty well Biggrin.gif

Why would you do that to teak. Cry.gif

I have a Line-X in my truck as well. About every 6-8 months, I power wash the bed real well, after cleaning it with a hard bristle brush and some simple green. I then apply some 303 (or other non-silicone based UV protector) ant then wipe off immediatley. Remember to Apply sparingly!!!!!!!!!!!! I than wash it with car wash solution so that dirt doesn't stick to it and to get rid of some of the slickness. After this, it looks almost new for several months. :)

BTW, I have had Line-X and Rhino Liner and the Line-X holds up better, FWIW.

I have a Line-X in my truck as well. About every 6-8 months, I power wash the bed real well,

blah blah blah,

some more blah blah blah.

After this, it looks almost new for several months. :)

Dang, I thought the point of this mod was to get away from all the labor? Crazy.gif

I have a Line-X in my truck as well. About every 6-8 months, I power wash the bed real well,

blah blah blah,

some more blah blah blah.

After this, it looks almost new for several months. :)

Dang, I thought the point of this mod was to get away from all the labor? Crazy.gif

This blah blah blah was regarding the back of a truck.............

On a swim platform blah blah blah, you'll not want to put any UV stuff, just use it, blah blah blah :)

Man Stewart,

That's a lotta work. I second the simple green. I just use a stiff bristled push broom to scrub all the walls and it comes out looking new. I do keep the bed covered at all times with a hard tonnaue cover though.

I considered the Rhino lining that I have in my truck, they offer a conditioner that you apply when it starts to dull, but I just don't think it looks good enough for the platform. I went with Cetal.

But there is something to be said for a nicely preped teak platform. It takes very little work to clean / oil and looks beautiful when done. You can't really say that about plastic. Sure, it's now pretty much maintenance free, but I think it loses some character.

I got the platform back from LineX today and I am very pleased with the outcome. The finish is smooth to the touch but rough enough to keep you from slipping. Total Cost $106.00. Tracie is downsizing the pics for me so I can post them on here.

I'll put a picture on my Avatar for now.

post-87-1144841532_thumb.jpg

Edited by Headhunter 2317

Cool!!!......I had considered doing this to my fiberglass platform because the Tantrums have a neoprene cover over the fiberglass and mine has a few cuts.

Having it Line-X would be the least expensive path for my application.

Headhunter, did you use the Line-X place near Southern Poly Tech. in Marietta.

Thanks Tracie. Just the Transom Decal. The sides were a lot of $.

I am saving money for stereo upgrades now......I need a sub, amp, ect....After dropping $920 on a bimini, the CFO is clamping down on BU expenditures...... Think she would notice a set of NVS Addictions on the Tower?

Edited by Headhunter 2317