Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Houseboat. Kids. Life jackets?

jetskipro550

Do kids under 12 have to wear life jackets on houseboats in California even when boat is stationary (anchored, docked, on shore)?

The marina we are renting from says its the law, I call BS...anyone know for sure?

Sent from my T.E.D. 'Toilet Entertainment Device'

I did not see it there, but found this

California
What age must wear PFD: 12 years of age or younger.
Vessel Length: 26 feet or less.
When PFD Must be Worn:
Approved PFD Styles: Type I, II, III or V
Exceptions when PFD does not need to be worn: If the child is in an enclosed cabin, or on a sailboat if restrained by a harness tethered to the vessel.

considering they are in an enclosed cabin on the house boat, you would not need to. I would want them wearing one while in motion anyway. Heaven forbid something happens in the middle of the lake and you can't get to the other side of the boat to get to them. I wouldn't let my three old out side of the cabin without one. Only takes a second to look away

Thanks for the replies! I figured they were either stating their own policy, or just clueless to the actual laws.

We're going with a 9 month, 2.5, and 5 year old, so I'm brining a 1/2 dozen bungy cords to secure all gates and a few panels that I can use to block off the top and bottom of the stair cases. I plan to secure the panels by drilling holes and zip tying them to the railings. Just a little extra peace of mind on top of life jackets and parenting...

• Like 1

I have not houseboated yet because of this. Certainly would like to in the future, but I would not ever want to go with any persons that were not capable of swimming if they fell off.

Thanks for the replies! I figured they were either stating their own policy, or just clueless to the actual laws.

Unless they own a Malibu we'll go with clueless. :)

I have owned a houseboat for 25 years or better. I can tell you that my kids are now 13 and 11 they have been on the water before they were born. We have always made them wear one until 5 or 6. If the boat is under way my kids wear them to this day they even wear them when in the malibu (lsv23). Thats my rules all kids under the age of 16 when the boat is in motion. They can swim i have no doubt it is the weekend warriors that bother me

I know that on our marina it is posted that kids under 12 must wear a vest. It is not the law but a liability because the do not have rails at all points. This was just post at the marina last year. Must be an insurance thing.

My neighbors and I were just talking about taking a TN or KY houseboat trip and the main concern is the kids, ranging mainly from 6-10 and being strong swimmers for the most part. Do you houseboaters mainly let them go without, unless they are playing in the water? I'd mostly be concerned later in the day/evening when the adults start drinking a bit and aren't watching the kids as closely.

Of course, accidents can happen, but do these things rock or shift where people/kids end up in the water when they weren't intending?

We have a timeshare on powell and the kids have to wear them anytime the houseboat is underway. We actually got pulled over by the coast guard last year to thank us for having our kids in jackets while the house boat is moving.

When I was younger my mom was adament about life jacket use by my sister and I, we would wear them all day. In the houseboat, on the 'bu, on the top, the time we could take it off came around dinner time when the 'bu got tied up, and many adults were now on the houseboat with watchful eyes.

Do you houseboaters mainly let them go without, unless they are playing in the water?

Of course, accidents can happen, but do these things rock or shift where people/kids end up in the water when they weren't intending?

They don't shift a bit once they're beached and tied up. There really isn't any significant movement while underway either. That said, the kids always need life jackets while underway. We don't let them upstairs or on the bow while underway either. During the day, it's always a judgment call.... If they're playing in or around the the water, for sure. If they're inside; no.

HBs Generally do not move when tied to trees on the beach. But during freak storms (which only seem to happen to me) they can move quite violently, enough that I smashed a door frame with my head last week and a friend fell and cracked his elbow.

For little kids, Bart's sporting goods has those Lycra type swim suits with float panels. Last year we used those for a few of the younger kids 3-6, to cover that time when we were not under power or swimming. The kids seemed to like them.

I have not houseboated yet because of this. Certainly would like to in the future, but I would not ever want to go with any persons that were not capable of swimming if they fell off.

Don't let kids stop you from houseboating. It's some of the best times you'll spend with your family. More work with kids, but then again, isn't everything? :)

We houseboated on Shasta with our (mobile) 1 year old last year. I was kind of freaked out before we went about the lifejacket/water safety thing. Rightfully so, but really........it ended up being such a non-issue. I mean, it was blatantly obvious when she needed a lifejacket and when she didn't.....and she wore one plenty. But that said, it really wasn't half as big of an issue as I imagined it would be. Between good parenting, a lifejacket, and plenty of good friends to help keep an eye out; it was easy stuff. Actually it was much easier than the island camping we do because there was plenty to entertain her inside, doors to secure the place, and they really only have access to the front and back of the boat.

Now, the upstairs on the boat?! Totally different story. We actually didn't spend much time up there because it was just too nerve-racking. Even with the gates closed it just freaked me out because I just didn't ever trust they were latched. Plus, there was no way to secure the slide. When we were up there I was following her every step.

The top is really the only place that I'm somewhat worried about, but that's why I'm bringing my homemade 'gates' for the staircases and slide. Bungies to keep the existing gates shut. Luckily it's just our family going so I don't have to worry about friends leaving gates open or not being on alert

My neighbors and I were just talking about taking a TN or KY houseboat trip and the main concern is the kids, ranging mainly from 6-10 and being strong swimmers for the most part. Do you houseboaters mainly let them go without, unless they are playing in the water? I'd mostly be concerned later in the day/evening when the adults start drinking a bit and aren't watching the kids as closely.

Like others have said, they are pretty darn solid once on shore. The real dangers are the steep staircases when wet and the obvious water surrounding 90% of the boat. My plan is to let go without the jackets when not legally required or we're not in the water. They won't go in the water without us, so as long as we're on the boat and everything is secured, they don't have to wear them. I'll probably make the little ones go up/down the stairs from the inside so they are never outside the railings...not 100% sure, will mainly just play it by ear once we get down there. I'm not overly worried about it...

HBs Generally do not move when tied to trees on the beach. But during freak storms (which only seem to happen to me) they can move quite violently, enough that I smashed a door frame with my head last week and a friend fell and cracked his elbow

Same here. Seems like everytime I rent one I think I'm in a protected cove the first night and a huge storm rips through. Don't get complacent and think because your on a 60' boat wind won't move you. I woke up to the boat being pushed off the shore and seeing my bu between the hb and shore. Definitely a stressful moment on what was supposed to be a relaxing vacation! I now only tie to trees and large rocks. No more using the spikes...