Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Skim style for smaller rider

WakeGirl

Have a Phase 5 prop - ridden twice. Bought new a month ago and would like to sell.

Still available? I have been looking at different boards recently (been trying to get away for 'wakeboard' brand surfers) what is the size? I am 6'4" 235 but rode an island surfer 4'2" without any issue last weekend (praise the surfgate) pm me if still available!

Take skurfer up on his offer.....you can stop at his shop on the way up, and timed well enough, stop back by on yor way back. We can have the ronix there for you same day. My experience is that you can't demo enough boards. Hey I've bought a board I thought would be awesome and had it on Craigslist the next day because it was terrible. My gut feeling though says you'll like that ronix.

I demo'd then later purchased my soulcraft from skurfer fwiw

Edited by Ruffdog
martinarcher

I bought a Victoria from one of the members here and it was mistakenly the wrong size S instead of M. It wasn't quite big enough for me obviously, but I am very interested in picking up the same board in a M or L size. It fit in my board racks and was very well made. It sure seemed like a board that would last. I wish I could demo a bigger one. After talking with the company, they seemed like a great company to deal with - just wish they weren't in CA. :Doh: It was a really fun board, but being so small I had to constantly on my toes/front foot after throwing a trick. Just my experience with Victoria boards.

And that's what I'm afraid of, that I'll get the wrong size. I've read many really good things about their boards, & I love the idea of supporting a smaller company. I emailed them last night about a source in this general area, so we'll see what they say.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Update....

So last Friday I was all excited because I had a local hookup on trying out a Phase 5 board for my day on the water with -BS- & Ruffdog. I was late getting out the door, so when I stopped to pick up the board I didn't take the time to look at it & the guy nice enough to loan it to me was on the phone. So he gave it to me, I put it in the car & headed out to the river. Get there, & didn't even realize until it's my turn that it isn't the Icon that I picked up, but the Razz which is much bigger/thicker than the Icon. And unfortunately it rode like that for me, way too big & I was in the back seat the whole time. We did speed up the boat a little to compensate, but it was still too big & too floaty. From what I've read, the Razz is thicker in profile by a bit, & the Icon has a different rocker & tip so it would probably be very unfair to think that they'll ride similarly. I did like how fast up the wave it was, but I really had very little control over it most of the time so I can't really give a meaningful review on it because of that. Ruffdog & -BS- both rode it since it was their size, & hopefully they'll post reviews of it.

I was never able to find anyone local selling Victoria Skimmers & it's just too much money for me to lay out on something that is a complete unknown.

Anyhow, I found a spectacular deal on a leftover '12 Ronix One so I ordered it (ended up being under $300). I don't usually like to buy something like this without riding it first, but I read everything that I could find about it & it really sounds like it may be what I'm looking for. And for the price, even if I hate it & have to sell it next spring I won't lose much, if anything on the deal. So it should be here mid-week & I'll be able to use it for the annual end-of-the-season blowout up at Lake Billy in a couple of weekends. I'll post my thoughts on it after that, since there doesn't seem to be much info out there from people that have actually ridden it.

I have been riding the Razz for a little over a month now. BS's description is spot on. True skim is what it is. You really need the nose pointed away from the wave with your toes curled and pressed into the wave to continue surfing. No real turning because you will pearl. Shuvs and speed down the line pretty awesome. This is the only Skim I have ridden. This experience leads me for a desire to try a true hybrid. Phase 5 Model x or Colt. I have a feeling those boards would be pretty awesome.

This thread needs to keep going. We need to start a "Trade Your Wakesurfer Thread". It would be awesome to experience all these boards.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity Afun, would you be willing to share what you weigh?

195lbs down from 217....5'9

The razz may be the only skimmer that is 1 inch thick. You really know when your on the wave because its so smooth. Hard to describe it.

Update....

So last Friday I was all excited because I had a local hookup on trying out a Phase 5 board for my day on the water with -BS- & Ruffdog. I was late getting out the door, so when I stopped to pick up the board I didn't take the time to look at it & the guy nice enough to loan it to me was on the phone. So he gave it to me, I put it in the car & headed out to the river. Get there, & didn't even realize until it's my turn that it isn't the Icon that I picked up, but the Razz which is much bigger/thicker than the Icon. And unfortunately it rode like that for me, way too big & I was in the back seat the whole time. We did speed up the boat a little to compensate, but it was still too big & too floaty. From what I've read, the Razz is thicker in profile by a bit, & the Icon has a different rocker & tip so it would probably be very unfair to think that they'll ride similarly. I did like how fast up the wave it was, but I really had very little control over it most of the time so I can't really give a meaningful review on it because of that. Ruffdog & -BS- both rode it since it was their size, & hopefully they'll post reviews of it.

I was never able to find anyone local selling Victoria Skimmers & it's just too much money for me to lay out on something that is a complete unknown.

Anyhow, I found a spectacular deal on a leftover '12 Ronix One so I ordered it (ended up being under $300). I don't usually like to buy something like this without riding it first, but I read everything that I could find about it & it really sounds like it may be what I'm looking for. And for the price, even if I hate it & have to sell it next spring I won't lose much, if anything on the deal. So it should be here mid-week & I'll be able to use it for the annual end-of-the-season blowout up at Lake Billy in a couple of weekends. I'll post my thoughts on it after that, since there doesn't seem to be much info out there from people that have actually ridden it.

Did you order the 4'4" or 4'10"? I see evo has both for $283 shipped....

I want more time on the razz! I actually had a lot of fun demoing that board and after -BS- tried it I was skeptical. Going from a pure surf style board was a big jump but truthfully I had a lot of fun. I wish I could justify the purchase because it would sure be fun to ride when your in the mood to switch things up. I felt there was a ton of stuff to explore and didn't even touch the surface. The diamond I tried a few years ago didn't compare. It just was t enough board for a 220 lb guy on a wave from a 21 foot boat.

The day I rode the razz I was probably in the 204-205 range same as -BS-

And sheesh the comments from the boat, tough crowd. Something about me being the correct weight for that board at 240? Haha.

Edited by Ruffdog

I want more time on the razz! I actually had a lot of fun demoing that board and after -BS- tried it I was skeptical. Going from a pure surf style board was a big jump but truthfully I had a lot of fun. I wish I could justify the purchase because it would sure be fun to ride when your in the mood to switch things up. I felt there was a ton of stuff to explore and didn't even touch the surface. The diamond I tried a few years ago didn't compare. It just was t enough board for a 220 lb guy on a wave from a 21 foot boat.

And sheesh the comments from the boat, tough crowd. Something about me being the correct weight for that board at 240? Haha.

Do you have a Razz? What surf style board are you coming from?

Nope. I just demoed the board along with -BS- and wakegirl. I wish I could justify the purchase cause it sure added a new element to surfing. Can't have it all I guess.

Oh, I currently ride a soulcraft fangtail 4'10. So I don't know if you can get two boards more polar opposite :lol:

9610458692_98a055f7c8_b.jpg

My Razz. These boards are very nice, but it takes a while to learn how to surf it. Anything smaller than 4'8 is really not made for a normal sized man. I agree with you Ruffdog. The x-large Danielo has peaked my interest. That will be the only size I will co sider.The Soulcraft, Walker Project, Shredd Stix, and Inland Surfer are known to be the best real surf style surfers out there.

Did you order the 4'4" or 4'10"? I see evo has both for $283 shipped....

I ordered the little one. Funny that Evo has brought that price down. I had them price match another site at that price from their original "marked down" price on Monday of $354. Heckuva deal on that board. Mine should be here tomorrow. :yahoo:

What's really funny about that is that out of the 2 of you, I would have guessed that B would have liked it much more, just because of him being closer to a skim rider than you are. But he hated it, & you had a huge smile on your face the whole time you rode it. Pretty funny.

As far as the weight thing, I just meant that even though it's rated for what, up to 220ish? It's so loose & fast that I'd bet a really big guy could work that thing pretty well.

• Like 1

I ordered the little one. Funny that Evo has brought that price down. I had them price match another site at that price from their original "marked down" price on Monday of $354. Heckuva deal on that board. Mine should be here tomorrow. :yahoo:

What's really funny about that is that out of the 2 of you, I would have guessed that B would have liked it much more, just because of him being closer to a skim rider than you are. But he hated it, & you had a huge smile on your face the whole time you rode it. Pretty funny.

As far as the weight thing, I just meant that even though it's rated for what, up to 220ish? It's so loose & fast that I'd bet a really big guy could work that thing pretty well.

I think it was -BS- that jokingly made the 240 comment.

I love Evogear. Every time I order from them it's a good experience. When I called on Monday to place the order, the guy on the other end looked at the price match & said, "man that's a REALLY good deal on that board", & he said it as if he were genuinely excited for me. No attitude or problems with the match, just genuine excitement at scoring such a good deal. They shipped it yesterday & it arrived this morning. Probably helps that they're just up the road in the Puget Sound, but still. It got here FAST!!

Anyway, I was doing my happy dance earlier & the neighbors probably thought that I'm nuts. Now I have something new to try at the end of the year pow wow at LBC. Can't wait to get out on it! :yahoo:

Thanks to this thread I picked up a Ronix One Skimmer. Someone stole our Kayak and I had a little insurance money in my pocket. It had been ridden once and still had stickers on it for $305. Ugly board but it rides nice. Not much to compare it, we were previously riding a CWB Ride which was our only other experience.

WG, i didn't read all the posts, But wanted to offer a different idea. We have a 5' ocean Starr surfboard, quash tail performance shortboard. My daughter and I ride it as do other 'light' riders. It is sooo much fun and so fast.

We did buy it in Cocoa Beach Fl while on vaca, but so worth every penny.

Don't discount ocean boards, they are fun! We even take a 9' out and it is so much fun.

Update.

I finally got to ride the Ronix One over the weekend. Smooth is a good word for it, as -BS- put it. It definitely has more "traction" or grip in the water than the Phase 5 boards that I've ridden (Razz recently that I commented on earlier in the thread & years ago a Prop). It doesn't spin as fast as the P5 boards do, but that could just be me still getting used to it - although now that I think about it that's not quite it. It doesn't initiate the spin quite as easily or quickly as those 2 P5 models, but once you get it going it spins nicely. Then again, the ride isn't nearly as loose as either of those P5 boards either. It is predictable with what you ask it to do, & it reacts quickly & well to pumping. I did spin a 360, but didn't ride out of it (ended up on top of the wave, Ruffdog you know that one!). Most of the people on the boat were able to ride it, even though it is the smaller 4'4" size. I need more time on it because I was pearling the tip badly, especially at first. Toward the end of the weekend I was getting the feel for how to react when the nose began to dive & was getting to where I could save it many times, but it's one of those things that only time on the board will fix.

Anyway, I think that for the money it's a good solution for smaller riders at the 4'4" size. Pretty easy to get up on & ride if you've done little to no surfing (as was the case with a few on the boat this weekend), but for the most part I don't think that it will limit a person's progression. I'm not sure if it's something that will be a transition board for me or one that I'll have for a long time, but I'm happy with it for now given what I paid for it. Anyone looking for an all around boat board should probably add this model to the list to try.