Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Skim style for smaller rider

WakeGirl

I know how people here love to help each other spend money. :lol: So I thought this could be fun, even if I won't likely make this purchase until this winter.

Yesterday I rode -BS-'s CWB Tsunami & I really liked it, but it was too big. We've talked a little about speeding the boat up a little next time, & that might work. But my instinct is that I feel like I should be on something smaller. One of my hesitations that I've had for so long about upgrading is that so many of the newer boards are built for heavier people (even if they say that they're a one size fits all), & they end up riding so high on top of the water that I can't get any dig or traction (if that makes sense). The Tsunami is the first of this style that I've ridden that I felt like I could really ride well, except that I was in the back seat the whole time just to keep off of the stern. Other than that, I loved everything about it.

Requirements:

Budget: Under $500

Skim style board

For rider weight of less than 130 lbs. (please no "one size fits all", most of those in reality are one size fits all men)

I think it needs to be a thinner profile like the Tsunami. Many boards have a thicker profile, & for me that (usually) translates into way too much flotation.

So other than the Tsunami, what else?

Maybe the Ronix One? I see that comes in a 52", & after talking with a few people at some of the retailers that carry both, the One is actually a little thinner in profile. Anyone out there ridden the One & the Tsunami, & if so how did they compare?

Other possibilities:

Liquid Force TC Custom Skim 52"

LF Doum 54"

???

I rode the LF TC skim 52" last weekend at the AWS surf demo. The board has good stability for a skim and is still responsive. Out of the three riders, including I, who rode the board, the only issue we found was that the board dipped it's nose quite a bit. You could definitely spin surface 360s, generate airs, and do shuv-its with the board. For a wakeboard company, not a bad skim board. If I were you, and you don't mind waiting, pick up a P5 Danielo Pro Carbon on sale in the winter. I picked up the '13 P5 Daniel Pro Carbon model for $550 from BoardCo back in February. Everyone who rode the LF TC custom also rode my P5 Danielo Pro Carbon and we all agree'd that the P5 outperformed the LF TC custom in every category. Best of luck on your search!

Edited by MCObray

of the 4 Phase 5 boards we have, the Scamp has become our favorite.

Phase5Scamp.jpg

awesome! was going to suggest the scamp too, but it's a bit smaller than WG was asking after. It's like riding a lunch tray.

I have had 2 phase 5 boards. My danielo pro is 4 years old, haxalium(sp?) core, although I didn't use it this season because I upgraded. It is a 3/4 " thick and 56" board. It has been nothing but durable. There are a couple small dimples on the underside but nothing that has affected the ride of the board. I upgraded this year to the danielo pro carbon diamond because it was a little thicker and longer as I was perling the last board because it was too small for me. (195 lbs). I love their boards, they are fast and slick. super fun to ride, easy to do tricks but definitely a more advanced board. I also have an IS swallow quad fin board that is super stable and fast, especially when you pump but not as fun in my opinion as the phase 5 boards.

I don't know if u are looking at used, but I am selling the danielo pro. I can send pics if u r interested.

Good luck!

We have had a Phase 5 oogle for 3+ years now and its definitely held up fine. No cracking or anything. The Ronix One is definitely fragile however... In our local dealers shop last year he had about 7 or 8 all lined up he had to send back for warranty because something had happened to them...

I have a couple of new Phase 5's at our shop. Trident and Icon. Both new. Feel free to take the Icon for a try before you buy. I also have a IS Tako you can demo

Edited by skurfer
  • Like 3

Our crew has about 9 boards we ride off an on. The Daniello Pro Carbon 54 is the favorite of the under 150 lbs riders. It has about a 4 ride learning curve, but is extremely fast and nimble once you get a feel for it. One of the biggest parts of progressing is being able to catch back up when you fall back in the wake, and that board is super fast to recover. We don't have pearling issues like we do with the Inland Surfer Sweet Spot, but the Daniello does require you to keep your weight on your toes - weight on your front foot heel side is going to stop the board because it is so thin. It is an extremely durable board - going on 5 years old, scratched up, but no dents or other problems.

The second favorite board of the smaller riders in our group is the LF Doum 54" Much less expensive, but rides similar to the Daniello - a touch harder to spin, and a little more stable, but otherwise very similar.

Our crew has about 9 boards we ride off an on. The Daniello Pro Carbon 54 is the favorite of the under 150 lbs riders. It has about a 4 ride learning curve, but is extremely fast and nimble once you get a feel for it. One of the biggest parts of progressing is being able to catch back up when you fall back in the wake, and that board is super fast to recover. We don't have pearling issues like we do with the Inland Surfer Sweet Spot, but the Daniello does require you to keep your weight on your toes - weight on your front foot heel side is going to stop the board because it is so thin. It is an extremely durable board - going on 5 years old, scratched up, but no dents or other problems.

The second favorite board of the smaller riders in our group is the LF Doum 54" Much less expensive, but rides similar to the Daniello - a touch harder to spin, and a little more stable, but otherwise very similar.

I have been watching this thread as well since I have been wanting to upgrade from my IS Blue Lake and was wanting something almost the same as WakeGirl's specs (only I am a little heavier @ 150). Thanks for the good review of both of those since those are what I have narrowed down my search to.

Lots of good stuff already in this thread. If you're ever in a position to demo a Day1 Skitzo, you should give one a try. They're 4'7 and take a little practice if you're not used to riding a glass/foam board, but oh man, they're good once you get the hang of it. (my wife rides one, and she's ~120 pounds as well.)

http://day1wake.com/

My next board will likely be a Day1/Addixion. I'm hoping to demo one soon with the rider who helped design it.

Inland Surfer OOZE. its rated for only up to 150lbs, but I ride, Im 200lbs and its a very fun board to ride. $300-350.

Has slots for 3 fins, but if you are getting into spins, likely will want to remove the center fin so it will break loose.

Its very light.... so you can really man handle it. Even though I'm 50lbs over the weight limit, its as fast or faster than any others other there. And its durable, and fits in board racks.

th_2E930512-04B9-4D45-9850-355FA1DBB4AC-

Look at the Victoria Pixie or Factor. What is great about Victoria is that they actually make boards for smaller riders. Most companies stop at 51", but that is still too big if you're under 150. The Factor has a 48" model, and the Pixie has a 48", 46", and 45" model. My girlfriend is 115 and rides the 48" Factor and loves it. She used to ride my 50" Factor, but now she really enjoys the added control of riding a board her size.

Phase 5 and Inland Surfer make great boards, but they dont have a model that is ideal for below 150 lbs.

Look at the Victoria Pixie or Factor. What is great about Victoria is that they actually make boards for smaller riders. Most companies stop at 51", but that is still too big if you're under 150. The Factor has a 48" model, and the Pixie has a 48", 46", and 45" model.

Don't you ride for Victoria?

On another note, that's pretty sweet. At times I feel that my "51 P5 is just a few inches short for my frame, which in turn leads me to wanting to try a shorter, say 48", board.

Wow, I leave town for a few days & look at the info that you guys have for me. Kudos to you all.

I have a couple of new Phase 5's at our shop. Trident and Icon. Both new. Feel free to take the Icon for a try before you buy. I also have a IS Tako you can demo

Heya skurfer, remind me again, which shop is yours?

I have been watching this thread as well since I have been wanting to upgrade from my IS Blue Lake and was wanting something almost the same as WakeGirl's specs (only I am a little heavier @ 150). Thanks for the good review of both of those since those are what I have narrowed down my search to.

Awesome! Feel free to hijack & ask any questions that you have. Us little people need a voice too. :biggrin:

I feel like I need some time to digest what I just read. Seems like Phase 5 is a favorite among smaller riders.

Don't you ride for Victoria?

I do.

I actually sell more Inland Surfers and Phase 5s than I do Victorias though. I always try to get people on the board that works best for them regardless of the brand. But when it comes to boards below 51" there just isnt another brand to suggest. Phase 5 makes the scamp, but that board is more for below 80 lbs.

Wow, I leave town for a few days & look at the info that you guys have for me. Kudos to you all.

Awesome! Feel free to hijack & ask any questions that you have. Us little people need a voice too. :biggrin:

I feel like I need some time to digest what I just read. Seems like Phase 5 is a favorite among smaller riders.

www.nwboatsports.com

I do.

I actually sell more Inland Surfers and Phase 5s than I do Victorias though. I always try to get people on the board that works best for them regardless of the brand. But when it comes to boards below 51" there just isnt another brand to suggest. Phase 5 makes the scamp, but that board is more for below 80 lbs.

i disagree the Phase 5 scamp is for riders of all sizes including guys over 200#. even the girl in the pic is over 80# (i can say that without fear).

I would suggest not getting a board bigger than an icon.....if you are not going to get the scamp (a scamp is only $250).

Edited by Cervelo

I do.

Wakemitch: That is interesting. I have always thought that the weight limits that Phase 5 posts for its boards are generally too high. For example, the Daniello is listed with a top weight range of 200 lbs. We have found that the board gets sluggish if you are over about 170, and works best for 110 to 150 lbs. Haven't ridden the Scamp, so can't comment on that.

Thanks WakeGirl! I am also trying to digest all this info and seem to be opening up on a few other boards that I have not thought/known about as well.

Look at the Victoria Pixie or Factor. What is great about Victoria is that they actually make boards for smaller riders. Most companies stop at 51", but that is still too big if you're under 150. The Factor has a 48" model, and the Pixie has a 48", 46", and 45" model. My girlfriend is 115 and rides the 48" Factor and loves it. She used to ride my 50" Factor, but now she really enjoys the added control of riding a board her size.

Phase 5 and Inland Surfer make great boards, but they dont have a model that is ideal for below 150 lbs.

Wakemitch, what Victoria board is good for a rider 135-150 lbs for a skim style board that I will not outgrow in skill level? Just looking at the Victoria webpage, I am thinking a Factor or Factor PCX possibly. Is there another one I should be considering and what size would you suggest? Looking for a good comparison to the Daniello Pro Carbon.

I can't speak to the durability of the Phase 5's much, but I can tell you that Daneilo Carbon Pro has zero channeling and close to zero rocker.....which means it is one slippery ride. I've only rode it for one set, so take my opinion for what it's worth, but that board is at the far end of the skim board spectrum. IMO, the Tsunami is more in the middle. So, if you're looking for something that rides like the Tsunami, this isn't it.

That said, I can see why people fall in love with them tho: easy to pop & easy to spin. I found the board fun for those reasons, but no fun for taking big turns on. Also, I pearled the thing a ton.

Anyone rode the Hyperlite Shim? I saw that in the board shop the other day and it peaked my interest as something that might be in between the Tsunami and Danielo...

Oh and that Ronix One is a really smooth fun ride. Good enough to get me off the Tsunami for almost a season. Eventually, it proved itself just a tad undersized for me..... which translated to a ton of work at the back of the wave. It definitely fits the bill for your "less buoyancy" request tho. The thing seats itself like the tsunami or composite board, but has zero channeling and a single fin so the ride feels oh, sooo smooth. Fun to take turns on, really easy to spin, really smooth feeling when riding fakie, easy to pop. I wish they had one appropriately sized for me. Definitely a fragile board tho. Fine in the surf racks, definitely do not want to drop it and miiiiiiight just chip if..... say..... a board flew out of the racks (on the very first day you rode it) and hit you/it. :whistle:

Hey B,

Regarding the Ronix, you said it was smooth....can you elaborate on that? As in predictable with good flow but without being too slippery? I'm assuming that it's fast, responsive, etc, similar to your Tsunami based on your comments on how they compare. Can you find out what size that one was that you were riding? I'm asking because I'm not completely sure that I want a board that is at the far end of the skim spectrum. After some thought & all of this reading, I think that I may be better off on a board that is a little closer to having hybrid characteristics, & it sounds like that Ronix may fit the bill. Heck, if CWB made a smaller Tsuanami, we wouldn't be having this discussion. :lol: