Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Relay install

Mjlee1985

Getting the boat ready for the se wow and I think I need to put a relay in the mix on my system! Three amps and a Zld all running off the remote on the hu. All power and ground are running off battery directly. When I start the boat I get a poping sound from just the sub. Very annoying... All this talk about relays makes me think this is the solution? Hu and Zld are locate at the helm all amps are inside the observation seat area. Batterys are in the rear locker. I need a detailed description on exact how to wire a relay and what relay to get, thanks crew..

I always run a relay when turning on 3+ products with the remote wire.

post-12034-0-22278800-1374849789_thumb.g

Any Bosch type relay will work. You can pull power and ground from the battery cables near the amps or the HU, or the ZLD, whichever place you choose to put the relay.

Let us know if it fixes the issue or not. I'm not sure it will in this case but I still recommend adding it.

In any case, a relay is a good idea given the number of components. That is a very light circuit that is unforgiving in the event of a mistake and an expensive one to repair. A relay is cheap insurance.

However, if the input mute circuit on the sub amplifier does not function correctly, the relay may not help.

David

I always run a relay when turning on 3+ products with the remote wire.

attachicon.gifrelay_for_remote.gif

Any Bosch type relay will work. You can pull power and ground from the battery cables near the amps or the HU, or the ZLD, whichever place you choose to put the relay.

Let us know if it fixes the issue or not. I'm not sure it will in this case but I still recommend adding it.

What this guy said^^^

So are we talking a new amp is this isn't the fix? Just left the auto parts store with the guy pretty much yelling at me that relay would do anything, he said a capacitor is the only fix... I finally just told him I've asked that question on here before and it has been shoot down as a bad idea for marine use and I just wanted a relay matching the diagram.

Yes there are capacitors you can install just to prevent the hu/eq from shutting off before the amps to prevent the pop or thud. I'm sure he wasn't talking about a stereo capacitor, yes those are a bad idea.