Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Torsion Axle problem

JakeGiron

I noticed last night while getting ready for a 200 mile lake trip that the torsion axle on one of my wheels tandem axle extreme trailer carrying 23 LSV was pushed up some. I adjusted the spindle a few teeth and put the tire back on. It helped bring the tire down about an inch to inch and a half. The front tire is still carrying more of the load but it is definately better. Will I be OK pulling the boat 200 miles like this? What other options do I have?

This happened to one of my friends, and every time he raised it - it dropped faster and faster. I hate to be the bearer of bad news - but I would not drive 200 miles with that axel - it will probably fail (highly likely) and your wheel will be burning your fender.

I know it's just a matter of time before mine do the same - his boat is one year older than mine - and same crappy Extreme Trailer.

Just had the same problem 2 weeks ago. UFP warranteed both of my 8 year old axles. They are located 60 miles fom me. Cost to me was $35 in gas for driving my truck to go pick them up. THANKS UFP!

To save my vacation that I was just leaving to drive 120 miles to the lake for a week on a houseboat, I was told by Dennis at UFP that I could weld the spindle to the axle tube to get me going. I spent about 2 hours and did just that. Saved my vacation and and have now towed over 350 miles this way with no worries. I now am in the process of painting my new axles and will probably install them next week. If I don't get it done, I am not worried as I will continue towing on the welded one till I can swap them out.

I have now replaced my axles with the new ones. Getting those spindles off the splines is the worst part. Use a big hammer they will move. If anyone ever needs a spare axle to use in an emergency and my SMP old ones will work, I have one good used one that will work in a pinch.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you give a few more details on how the axle fails?

I think I have this same problem. My front axle on the right side is carrying less weight. The headscatcher has been it is getting worse. Our ride home from the river had the tire hitting the fender. Tire is ruined.

Does the spline spin in the axle tube?

Thx

Yes that is what happens. You can force it back down into the correct position, then weld the top of the spindle to the axle tube to get by till it is repaired. I towed mine for 400 miles like that untill I had time to pick up, paint and install my new ones.

null_zpsdc619b5f.jpgThis is what I was doing the morning of my weeklong houseboat trip to Dale Hollow. Not the way I wanted to start out but ended up well. I only got 2 mles from home when it failed, it could have been worse.

Edited by dalt1

UFP warrantied both my axles as well. My trailer is a 2002. I was pleasantly surprised. I still need to pay for shipping and of course installation. Plus new fender, tire, and paint.

Apparently they had significant manufacturing problems then.

Thx for the reply.

• 1 month later...

Denny,

I'm a little slow responding...thanks for the pic. I thought that was what you were describing, but wanted to make sure.

Only another 75 or 80 days and I hope to be back on the water!

Greg

null_zpsdc619b5f.jpgThis is what I was doing the morning of my weeklong houseboat trip to Dale Hollow. Not the way I wanted to start out but ended up well. I only got 2 mles from home when it failed, it could have been worse.

and I thought I was the only other one that welded with Crocs on my feet :biggrin:

and I thought I was the only other one that welded with Crocs on my feet :biggrin:

Remember, this the Friday morning of the start of my Houseboat vacation week. Surprised I even bothered to put pants on over my shorts!

Denny,

I'm a little slow responding...thanks for the pic. I thought that was what you were describing, but wanted to make sure.

Only another 75 or 80 days and I hope to be back on the water!

Greg

Take care over there.