Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power Wedge Fuse

Hey All,

I know there are a ton of write ups on the PW.

I was out surfing last night with TrickyNicky and at a heavy ballast and 9 MPH I went to stow the wedge and ended up blowing the 20 AMP fuse. Anyone else ever blown the fuse before? Do you guys think the fuse is underrated for the job? Anyone else put a 25 or 30 Amp in? I mean in the future I might just not raise the wedge at its limit of 10 Mph under a high load, but one would think the system could handle it given it was within the parameters of the owners operating manual.

What do you guys think?

On a side note.... If you guys ever want to see a surf wave completely disappear go from 30 ft of water to 1 ft of water instantly. Wow!!!!! We also hit something on the bottom of the lake which I'm still nervous about!

Ryan

I have a 2007 VTX with the power wedge, and I'm not 100% certain, but I think mine is a 30 amp fuse. When you are blowing fuses it may be a problem with the Lenco actuators. I have had one freeze up and one still trying to work, and this blew my fuse. Replaced both actuators and all is good now. If you feel it may be the actuators, I unbolted them from the wedge, screwed them up and down manually a couple of times to make sure they were not frozen, then tried to run them (wedge still not connected)to make sure they worked before reconnecting the wedge. Note: The power wedge has a "safety" built into them so that it will not try to go up unless "moving forward". It will take 2 people in your driveway, one to spin the speedo paddle wheel under the boat to simulate moving forward, and one to operate the power wedge.

Hey All, I know there are a ton of write ups on the PW. I was out surfing last night with TrickyNicky and at a heavy ballast and 9 MPH I went to stow the wedge and ended up blowing the 20 AMP fuse. Anyone else ever blown the fuse before? Do you guys think the fuse is underrated for the job? Anyone else put a 25 or 30 Amp in? I mean in the future I might just not raise the wedge at its limit of 10 Mph under a high load, but one would think the system could handle it given it was within the parameters of the owners operating manual. What do you guys think? On a side note.... If you guys ever want to see a surf wave completely disappear go from 30 ft of water to 1 ft of water instantly. Wow!!!!! We also hit something on the bottom of the lake which I'm still nervous about! Ryan

Or maybe what you hit on the bottom of the lake damaged or knocked the wedge out of calibration.

Hmm..wedge was actually up at the time we hit, no biggie though. I'm going to replace the fuse with the 20 amp and just monitor the situation :) Ill keep y'all updated!