Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Evening full of different problems

So last night went out on the lake, cruised out to the other side of the lake no problem. dropped in the water to board and upon deep water start boat topped out at 8mph. with no significant increase in noise or RPM from the engine. I installed Perfect Pass last week, I pretty much knew it was the throttle, made sure my servo motor cable was fine, and turned off the boat to do the servo motor tightening test. then boat ran fine.

It ended up doing it one more time and it made me uneasy and I started thinking fuel pump, but I'm wondering what you guys think.

After that later in the evening. temp had been at 160 all evening and then I noticed it started running hot. but here's where most of my question is, the gauge clusters caught my eye, because my oil gauge was dancing...I had no idea why and it was weird, and I look over and the temp gauge is around 200+, crud...so I shut'er off and opened the hatch to paddle back to the launch lol.

Here's what I'm thinking I'm going to do (comment on if I've covered the regular bases)

check impeller/ replace.

check fuel pump PSI and maybe check injectors (I used to have vapor lock issues, so maybe not using seafoam is catching up to me with all the d@mn ethanol in our gas)

and then I'm thinking I might need to just check my servo motor and make sure that everything is working there, I think that was the easiest of my problem.

I just got sketched out since I was having a plethora of problems.

one minor thing that had me thinking last night. I see a correlation with this, but not necessarily any causation. the engine temp skyrocketed and the oil gauge started dancing shortly after I turned the heater on for my younger sister after she got out from wakeboarding. I doubt it, but I was thinking about that..

for reference 98 sunsetter vlx monsoon

So last night went out on the lake, cruised out to the other side of the lake no problem. dropped in the water to board and upon deep water start boat topped out at 8mph. with no significant increase in noise or RPM from the engine. I installed Perfect Pass last week, I pretty much knew it was the throttle, made sure my servo motor cable was fine, and turned off the boat to do the servo motor tightening test. then boat ran fine.

It ended up doing it one more time and it made me uneasy and I started thinking fuel pump, but I'm wondering what you guys think.

After that later in the evening. temp had been at 160 all evening and then I noticed it started running hot. but here's where most of my question is, the gauge clusters caught my eye, because my oil gauge was dancing...I had no idea why and it was weird, and I look over and the temp gauge is around 200+, crud...so I shut'er off and opened the hatch to paddle back to the launch lol.

Here's what I'm thinking I'm going to do (comment on if I've covered the regular bases)

check impeller/ replace.

check fuel pump PSI and maybe check injectors (I used to have vapor lock issues, so maybe not using seafoam is catching up to me with all the d@mn ethanol in our gas)

and then I'm thinking I might need to just check my servo motor and make sure that everything is working there, I think that was the easiest of my problem.

one minor thing that had me thinking last night. I see a correlation with this, but not necessarily any causation. the engine temp skyrocketed and the oil gauge started dancing shortly after I turned the heater on for my younger sister after she got out from wakeboarding. I doubt it, but I was thinking about that..

From what you typed it sounds like an issue with the perfect pass you installed.. Is the perfect pass set to 8 mph? If it only did that twice but ran fine other wise, I wouldnt think mechanical issues I would start looking into the install of the perfect pass.

I dont have any experience with a heater on a boat.. IDK how it produces the head, IE is it electric or does it produce heat from the water running through the engine like a car? I doubt a boat that year would have a closed cooling system but if it does obviously the first thing to check would be your coolant level. If it does not have closed system then your impeller may be going bad or thermostat have be sticking. Oil pressure gauge acting wierd in conjuction with the heater leads me to think voltage spike or ground issue.

Sorry not much help since Idk much abot the boat but thats my input.

Don't know about the throttle issue, but for the temperature check the ground on your heater. Same thing happened to me last year one night when I turned the heater on, cut short the night. Boat ran fine the next day, and next time the temp spiked I turned the heater off and the guage went back to normal. Had the ground replaced over the winter and has been fine this year.

with that said (thanks for the input) let me add a tangent to this. I have been thinking about adding another grounding bar to clean up the mess that it is. there's ring terminals on top of each other. and I've seen some corrosion on the factory installed grounds for the gauges. Can I run from the old ground bar to to a new one like this and clean up the grounds? is that how I would do it?

440a09c4-03ae-41c1-a358-629149f78226_300

check impeller/ replace.

Same exact issue, also running the blower adds 20 degrees. Limp mode 2x this week. Each time i run My digital laser thermometer over the engine, no one spot on engine over 170 degrees. After temp gauge shoots up, it immediately falls back and behaves.

check impeller/ replace.

Same exact issue, also running the blower adds 20 degrees. Limp mode 2x this week. Each time i run My digital laser thermometer over the engine, no one spot on engine over 170 degrees. After temp gauge shoots up, it immediately falls back and behaves.

Real Boat Mechanic (as opposed, but not necessarily better than Internet mechanics) came out on Lake to look at it, checked all out and told me I need a new gauge cluster, no sign that engine has been hot.

Thanks Boz! this makes me want to replace all sorts of stuff, but it's like there's no problem at all? hm.

I'm going to get back out on the water with a thermometer and check this out.

I'm still not convinced (ya know? :whistle: ) just to make absolute sure that everything is running okay

Perhaps you have an intermittent fault with the engine coolant temp (ECT) sensor that feeds the ECM or a grounding issue on the temperature gauge sensor (single wire one)? This temp sender will have 2 wires that connect directly to the ECM. Perhaps also clean the battery terminals and unplug, reconect the cable to the ECM in case it has a bad conneciton on one of the pins.

If you remove the 2 wire temp sensor and put it in some water of a known temperature these are the resistances you should see on your ohm meter ,or at least similar and heading the same direction.

degC degF Ohms
150 302 47
140 284 60
130 266 77
120 248 100
110 230 132
100 212 177
90 194 241
80 176 332
70 158 467
60 140 667
50 122 973
45 113 1188
40 104 1459
35 95 1802
30 86 2238
25 77 2796
20 68 3520
15 59 4450
10 50 5670
5 41 7280
0 32 9420
-5 23 12300
-10 14 16180
-15 5 21450
-20 -4 28680
-30 -22 52700
-40 -40 100700

Follow the hose from the outlet of the impeller and it should go right to the inlet side of the trans cooler. that's where the 'screen' will be. It's more like a perforated plate. You'll see it.

And it would not hurt to disconnect both inlet and outlet hose from impeller housin, just to take a look.

Nice job....now you better go clean those tweezers and put them back before your wife sees what you have used them for.

We all understand....but sometimes they don't....

EDIT: And to be serious for a moment, if I were you I would totally remove the hose from the impeller to the trans cooler and flush with water, if you haven't done so already. Some debris may have fallen back to the low point of that hose, and the first time you start the engine, it will all work its way back up to the trans cooler screen..

Edited by RTS

Well then found some more in there! Thanks RTS

Didn't torque wrench it but tightened the plate on the new impeller by hand (could take the old screws off by hand) but after I start it up on the lake and go past idle I'll check to see if the impeller changed position at all.

Ashamed to say it, but that impeller was 15 years old. Preventative maintenance can do ya wonders ;)

post-18256-13749622020144_thumb.jpg

Edited by mnhays

Ashamed to say it, but that impeller was 15 years old. Preventative maintenance can do ya wonders ;)

Let's see...member of this site for over a year...over 500 posts....and you got a 15 Year old shredded up, cracked up, chewed up Impeller?!?! :fingerwag: You shoulda known better... Especially since you obviously have the wrenching skills...I see your head band miner's light in that one picture!

I say that rates 3 out of 5 shovels...on the shovel to the head scale... :)

Edited by RTS

I get it I'm embarrassed! Haha, yeah it's pretty sad. I just said, hey it hadn't broke...I learned alright..

You get a pass, some razzing, but a pass. But if this happens again......