Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1999 Response LX Won't Start

Daughter had it out. Said it died while tubing (I know that probably killed it) like it ran out of gas. Fuel gauge currently not working. Restarted and made it to our pier. Added two tanks of fuel, but it would not start afterward. Turns over steady, but won't fire, like it is out of fuel. Vapor lock? Any thoughts?

I had a similar issue with my 'new to me' 99 response last month, but not quite as dramatic. I could start up but anything other than idle left me with exhaust smelling of fuel and then power disappearing.

Turned out to be a loose wire at the coil so spark was not getting to the cap efficiently. The coil terminal was worn/corroded so the spark path was not great and in addition the wire could not hold on anymore. Replaced coil, rotor, cap, plugs and wires, works very well now.

Easy and relatively inexpensive project, even for a non-mechanically inclined guy like me. Hope this helps.