Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Installing new seat skins

I could use a little advise from anyone who has installed new seat skins. I just received my skins from the amazing Chee and I have read all the advise posted so far. However, I am having trouble with one little detail. On the seat bottoms there is a flap of material that goes between the two separate foam blocks and is stapled down to the plastic. This was obviously stapled prior to the foam blocks being glued down. How on earth do you staple that flap down with the foam blocks already glued down? I can't seem to get my stapler in that separation.

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

I could use a little advise from anyone who has installed new seat skins. I just received my skins from the amazing Chee and I have read all the advise posted so far. However, I am having trouble with one little detail. On the seat bottoms there is a flap of material that goes between the two separate foam blocks and is stapled down to the plastic. This was obviously stapled prior to the foam blocks being glued down. How on earth do you staple that flap down with the foam blocks already glued down? I can't seem to get my stapler in that separation.

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

When I did them i just pulled the small piece of foam and stapled it down. After stapling it down i glued the foam back on and finished the seat.

And now for the unsolicited advice:

Before you pull the original skin, mark the position of the piping on the seat base so you know where the piping was originally located. This will increase your odds of having all the piping line up from cushion to cushion when you're done. Believe me, if you're doing this yourself and you've never done something like this, it will take some time. Mark stuff, pay attention when you pull it apart and I hope you have a crap load of staples. One more thing, have fun with the corners and especially all the curved pieces. :crazy:

Having just completed this project not too long ago, I don't envy you but it's great when the job is done.

Thanks for the advice. That is about what I figured I had to do. I was not going to do this myself but then someone tripped on my separated seat cushion getting into the boat and took a header. The shops won't be able to get to it until winter and I can't wait. The seat bottoms and sunpad are all I intend for now.
On another note a few helpful tipsters suggest steaming the foam to get it back in shape. I was planning on setting up my camp stove and a big kettle to do this. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again

I am considering buying some skins off a member here when I get some disposable cash, if he still has them. How difficult of a job is this? In retrospect would have just paid someone to do it? Also, I want everything redone, did you guys plan to pull off side panels & the walk way panel as well? How do you even get all those things off & on?

Edited by racer808

Make sure you buy "rust proof" staples. I had some for the skins we replaced this week, but not enough and finished up with stainless. One of my former boats had a replacement cushion and the person that made it didn't use "rust proof" staples and it was an ugly mess for me to fix.

"Rust proof" will be on the box.

Edited by rabiddawg

I don't have much advice about the steaming. I didn't steam mine because the foam was in pretty decent condition.

As for staples, I used these

Stanley TRA706SST

I picked up a couple of packs at Home Depot. I quickly decided that many more would be needed. I ended up ordering 10 packs from amazon and used almost all of them.

Consider I replaced every skin in our boat, a 2001 Wakesetter VLX.

If I needed to do this again I would have no problem doing it myself. I'm way too picky to hire out something like this, regardless how "good" the person doing the work is.

We did the sun deck pieces first then moved on to the seat bases. After all these were done we took a break and enjoyed the boat for a while. Over the winter we pulled every panel of of the boat and did them one by one and it took a good bit of time.

If you plan on doing ballast, running stereo wires, moving batteries etc this is the perfect time to do it as there won't be much left inside the boat. Look at it as the perfect opportunity to learn almost everything about how the inside of you boat is put together, just beware, it's not always pretty. ;)

I just did the seat that almost killed my father. The one that everyone steps on to get in the boat. Not really a big deal to do if you have a 15 year old helper. I pull and stretch and he staples. A good work out for the forearms. One thing we learned quickly is to staple the excess well inboard of the final trim line and get the general shape worked out by stapling every 3 inches or so. This allows you to pull staples and adjust your lines if necessary. Then come back in with your trim bead at about 1/2" in from the edge and start at the folded seam. Staple every 2 inches around the entire edge and then come back and infill along the entire length. No gaps. Trim the final and pull the staples you used for fitting it out.

I also did not pull off the foam to staple the interior seam. I just separated it well enough for my helper to get a stapler in there and work. This is definately a two person job. One would be crazy to try this alone.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the advice. That is about what I figured I had to do. I was not going to do this myself but then someone tripped on my separated seat cushion getting into the boat and took a header. The shops won't be able to get to it until winter and I can't wait. The seat bottoms and sunpad are all I intend for now.

On another note a few helpful tipsters suggest steaming the foam to get it back in shape. I was planning on setting up my camp stove and a big kettle to do this. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again

Did you ever do any more of your interior? I'm about to dive in, and want to do it myself if possible. Did you end up trying to steam any foam?

If anyone paid an upholster do install the skins, I would appreciate an idea of the cost. I am a stickler for details, but fear that this may be beyond my skillset; EVERY TIME I step into that boat I'll be looking at that work. I don't want to regret it.

If anyone paid an upholster do install the skins, I would appreciate an idea of the cost. I am a stickler for details, but fear that this may be beyond my skillset; EVERY TIME I step into that boat I'll be looking at that work. I don't want to regret it.

I'd say you're looking at $1200-2000 based on prices I've seen here. It's one of those things that you should research yourself and just do it. It's a lot easier to be mad at yourself for a few minor imperfections than someone else that is supposedly a professional and you paid money to. Being a stickler, you will find imperfections, I can spot them on brand new 100k+ boats.

Unless you can get this guy

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/46770-new-interior-project-complete/

Edited by Ndawg12