Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hydrofoil for wakesurfing

longboarder3069

Do you know if someone sells a specific hydrofoil for wakesurfing?

Or if Malibu has a project to produce one? Maybe a specif version of the Wedge?

Sorry for my english & greetings from Switzerland.

Are you talking about a different wedge that would go on the boat or a board that you ride with a hydrofoil on it? Sky Ski is coming out with a hydrofoil board that you stand on, although from what I understand you ride it like a wakeboard rather than surfing it. I'm sure that's the next evolution for it though.

Welcome to the site. :)

Are you talking about a different wedge that would go on the boat or a board that you ride with a hydrofoil on it? Sky Ski is coming out with a hydrofoil board that you stand on, although from what I understand you ride it like a wakeboard rather than surfing it. I'm sure that's the next evolution for it though.

That would be cool!!!

Foil-N will have one this summer I think & I asked him to give me a ring if he's over at the Cove with it. Another fun thing to try, although I'll have to start selling equipment to make room if we decide that we like it. :)

Making an apperance at the NW WOW would be a great tool to promote the new product and it would be free advertising! I know I would love to see one in action...or even try one!

would this be a metal hydrofoil on a board that you stand on? and would that not be dangerous?

From the way that Chris from Foil-N described it, Sky Ski's version is a modified version of what Ronnie posted. It will have bindings similar to the newest wakeboard bindings (the ones that look like snowboard boots). As for the danger factor, well none of these sports are completely safe & I would hazard a guess that it won't be any more dangerous than a regular Sky Ski (helmets are pretty standard). The thing with this is that you don't go nearly as fast as a standard Sky Ski - the good foilers are doing 26-28mph (maybe even faster I suppose), whereas with the stand up you go maybe 20-21mph. Still fast enough for a wicked faceplant. :)

Welcome to the board!!! You're our first member from Switzerland Yahoo.gif

Malibu doesn't make a surf specific wedge and to the best of my knowledge doesn't have any plans to either. I'd recommend the wedge 23 for your boat. Some like it for surfing some don't. It's really personal preference.

I don't understand how the surf one gets push.

Cuz surfing is board surface area plus edge getting push from the top of the wave.

The foil is running under the water surface with very little surface area.

Must be some big wave energy just under the water surface.

Welcome to the board!!! You're our first member from Switzerland Yahoo.gif

Malibu doesn't make a surf specific wedge and to the best of my knowledge doesn't have any plans to either. I'd recommend the wedge 23 for your boat. Some like it for surfing some don't. It's really personal preference.

Thanks for your answers.

With all the ballast, the additionnal weight and the wedge 23, we are able to create a wake with goes up to the chest.

As we are away from the ocean, we use the wake to practice "real surfing". We are able to do take-offs, bottom turns and even aerials.

But we would happy to create a bigger wake... maybe a small tube?? :blush:

If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks