Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Whats it worth? 2008 VTX wakesetter

llong27

Looking into purchasing the above Malibu. Wondering what it is worth and anything to look out for. The boat has 108 hrs on it, 4 ballast tank, power wedge. I dont know what else to add. Please ask questions. Trying to figure out how to post a picture.

Replace bushings if they haven't been. It isn't the strongest tower out there (probably the weakest factory tower). But it does look good.

anything that i need to inspect to make sure its not breaking or cracking? What are my options to make it stronger or upgrade too?

If your skiing, make sure it has a diamond hull!! Very important.

As for the tower don't worry about it. I have the predecessor to your tower and I've had no problems with it. Yes it isn't the best tower but it's a fine tower. Upgrading the tower can be up to 10k. They don't have breaking issues they just begin to rattle sooner than others once you start adding weight.

EDIT: If you care to post the ad people will have a much better idea of it's worth.

Edited by TrickyNicky

How important is the hull? This boat has the wake hull on it. I am a skier, but by no means a pro, grew up sking behind jet boats so I am thinking this will be great improvements anyway. The majority of the time it will be used for surfing, boarding, and tubing.

Link for the pictures.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A25oqs3qqwxs9

Edited by llong27

How often do you ski? What speed and line length?

To put the hull in perspective it seems most skiers can see a definite difference between the wakes at slalom speeds and find the wakeboard wake the same with either hull. Contrary the wakeboarders find the exact opposite.

I have not skied in 20 years. Once i get back into it, it woul be only me and probably everytime we go out. I am used to skiing with a 100ft rope behind the jet boats.

How important is the hull? This boat has the wake hull on it. I am a skier, but by no means a pro, grew up sking behind jet boats so I am thinking this will be great improvements anyway. The majority of the time it will be used for surfing, boarding, and tubing.

Link for the pictures.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A25oqs3qqwxs9

Nice boat! After a quick search on only inboards I would say it's worth at least 45k (but I really don't know).

FYI this has the same tower as mine. With that tower setup (Pretty much identical to mine weight wise), I think you'll be fine. To be honest the only rattling I get is when I have boards on it and I believe it's the boards, not the tower.

I have not skied in 20 years. Once i get back into it, it woul be only me and probably everytime we go out. I am used to skiing with a 100ft rope behind the jet boats.

By the sounds of it you'll be absolutely fine with the wake hull. The diamond really comes into effect at speeds above 30mph and for those of us cutting quite hard.

Do take note that you are buying a wakeboard boat so skiing at slower speeds will produce a significant wave (same with the VTX diamond).

Aside from all that you have a really nice all-around boat you are looking at!

When I was sking i would try to ski at around 30-31 mph. Does the faster create a smaller wake?

With the tower what causes it to rattle?

By the sounds of it you'll be absolutely fine with the wake hull. The diamond really comes into effect at speeds above 30mph and for those of us cutting quite hard.

Do take note that you are buying a wakeboard boat so skiing at slower speeds will produce a significant wave (same with the VTX diamond).

Aside from all that you have a really nice all-around boat you are looking at!

It's the other way around Nicky. The wake on a wake hull builds a lot more below 30mph. Above 30, they're pretty similar with the diamond hull being softer.

When I was sking i would try to ski at around 30-31 mph. Does the faster create a smaller wake?

With the tower what causes it to rattle?

Faster in any boat will make a smaller wave, hence surfing at 10, wake at 20 and skiing at 30. The diamond hull gives lift at speeds above 30 and gives a significantly smaller wake than the wake hull (heresay).

As for the tower "I" only get a rattle when boards are in and I have some lake chop. I'm really unsure on what others results are as I've heard various things and maybe they're just pickier. (I really don't want to lead you in the wrong direction or give false expectations)

You can and should solve both these problems with a test drive. Is the boat local to you? Go for a test drive and bring your boards and ski and see what it can do and if the tower moves or rattles.

Oh & I'm with NIcky, this boat will likely be just fine for you with what you're coming from. That said, there are some tricks that you can use to get around it being a wake hull. A little weight in the bow can help a little, so you can play with that. Skiing on a shorter rope to get into that sweet spot when crossing the wake will help too. Finally, speed up just a little. If you can get over 32mph, you'll find it to be pretty good.

It's the other way around Nicky. The wake on a wake hull builds a lot more below 30mph. Above 30, they're pretty similar with the diamond hull being softer.

I don't want to get into another wake vs diamond discussion but than we raise the question why would anyone buy the diamond hull if it's just softer? Isn't the purpose of the downturn at the transom to lift the diamond hull boat at speed. The way I have personally summed it up from all my reading is:

"Slalom skiers can tell a difference at ski speeds but not wake speeds and wakeboarders can tell a difference at wake speeds but not slalom speeds."

I don't want to get into another wake vs diamond discussion but than we raise the question why would anyone buy the diamond hull if it's just softer? Isn't the purpose of the downturn at the transom to lift the diamond hull boat at speed. The way I have personally summed it up from all my reading is:

"Slalom skiers can tell a difference at ski speeds but not wake speeds and wakeboarders can tell a difference at wake speeds but not slalom speeds."

No, you misunderstand. The diamond hull makes a difference at slower speeds with regard to size, & at higher speeds with regard to quality. (EDIT to clarify, when comparing the wake/diamond variants of the same hull.)

Case in point, take an the old 21' SV23 hull vs. its diamond variant on a direct drive boat. (I do this because I have intimate knowledge of these 2 boats.) Above 32 mph the wake size is very similar, but the wake behind the diamond is much softer. Speeding up tends to harden a wake, & that's where the diamond shines because it negates that effect, that's the effect that its increased lift has at that point. Now, drop down to 28 mph & the wakes in terms of hardness/softness are very similar (slowing down softens a wake), but the wake behind the wake hull is much larger.

I hope that makes sense. Your last line sums it up perfectly, but hopefully my explanation gives the why behind it.

No, you misunderstand. The diamond hull makes a difference at slower speeds with regard to size, & at higher speeds with regard to quality.

Case in point, take an the old 21' SV23 hull vs. its diamond variant on a direct drive boat. (I do this because I have intimate knowledge of these 2 boats.) Above 32 mph the wake size is very similar, but the wake behind the diamond is much softer. Speeding up tends to harden a wake, & that's where the diamond shines because it negates that effect, that's the effect that its increased lift has at that point. Now, drop down to 28 mph & the wakes in terms of hardness/softness are very similar (slowing down softens a wake), but the wake behind the wake hull is much larger.

I hope that makes sense. Your last line sums it up perfectly, but hopefully my explanation gives the why behind it.

This is definitely news to me but it certainly makes sense. Maybe next time around I'll have to test out a wake hull because the reduced size at slower speeds is not benefiting any newbies. May be skiing a VLX wake hull this aft so totally different ball game but I'll take my notes.

This is definitely news to me but it certainly makes sense. Maybe next time around I'll have to test out a wake hull because the reduced size at slower speeds is not benefiting any newbies. May be skiing a VLX wake hull this aft so totally different ball game but I'll take my notes.

Yeah, don't compare your VTX with a VLX, in any way. :crazy:

I actually am of the opinion that a smaller wake for beginning wakeboarders is beneficial in many ways. And as far as surfing, it's my opinion that diamond vs. wake makes less difference at those speeds than it does above 20mph. YMMV of course.

The example that I used above was comparing an '04 Wakesetter DD (SV23 wake hull) with an '01 Sunsetter LXi (SV23 diamond hull). These boats were set up nearly identically over the period of time that we used them, even down to the props. What I laid out was what I saw on a regular basis behind those boats. It could be that behind a vdrive the differences are more dramatic given a certain speed, but I doubt it.

Sharp boat! I got a 2008 this spring with only 32 hours for $42k (diamond) from a Malibu dealer. No trailer, so add another $5k. Mine was missing the bow tank. It has the LCR (base) motor and floating wedge. Bow tank and power wedge would be nice, but I don't have those. I think the LCR motor is plenty for this little boat. Air dam and heater are nice cool weather options we use a lot. Those can be added. Otherwise Wakesetters are pretty tricked out in base form. I personally like the 2008 interior better than the 2 generations that followed. The hull and drivetrain did not change from 2008 to current.

That boat has some nice options at first glance. The triple racks are nice. Additional audio. Transom remote for the stereo. Tower mirror. Bimini.