Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Combo ski issue

Falko

I stored my combo skis in the ski locker last winter. When I took them out this spring, I noticed they had an odd shape to them. Sitting the skis down flat on the ground with the boots up, the center of the skis were about 5" in the air. (think snow ski type rocker). I let them sit for a while and they dropped to about 3" up in the air. I thought this was odd and compared my slalom to them and it was slightly higher on the tips, completely opposite.

Is there an issue with these combo skis, should there be an arch like this? My friend brought his 16yo son over the other day who has never skied, so we put him on these combos. He got up alright but kept falling forward. I tried them, same thing unless you really weighted the back of the ski. This makes me think there is an issue here. Thoughts on this? Am I paranoid and these skis are fine, or chuck'em and get something that works? Or maybe some fix, like cement blocks, saw horse, and sun.

Binding area should be on the ground like your slalom. Sorry to say, might be time for a new pair

Crazy that would happen in the locker or even at all.

I use some old wooden Cypress Gardens or Cut 'n Jumps. Pretty much indestructible as they are all wood. Start checking CL or garage sales. Kids like getting the retro gear on. My son prefers trying to slalom on the woodie rather than my ski. That may change when he actually succeeds.

yeah, I don't get it. They aren't high end skis, cheap Connelleys I believe. I don't know if they froze and the foam core got messed up, but it is odd that both did the same thing. I am going to try to heat them and straighten them out.

"they dropped to 3 inches from five. If that happend with no weight on them... what will happen with Weight?

I think they could be dangerous.. get a refund if you can.. but i wouldn't use them.

I've never mouse trapped on skis before, these make it easy.

They went from around 5 to 3 over time. I have to retrieve them from the boat and gets some pics of what they look like.

It is weird skiing on them, and virtually impossible to turn them.

I've never mouse trapped on skis before, these make it easy.

They went from around 5 to 3 over time. I have to retrieve them from the boat and gets some pics of what they look like.

It is weird skiing on them, and virtually impossible to turn them.

Falko, this is why I prefer to not use skis at all....just go on your bare feet and be done with it!

LOL

Seriously though, it sounds like they did not like the cold. but I must say, we live in Pgh Pa where freeze thaw cycles are relentless....and all of my skis, including my $1000 slalom ski. have been stored over the years in a garage or an unheated warehouse for as long as I can remember, and I can remember more years than I care to admit, and I have NEVER had any skis or boards become ruined by cold or freeze thaw conditions....Wierd.... :dontknow:

• 4 weeks later...

Just got an email from OBrien, sending new skis. Great customer service.

:plus1: Have a friend who's wakeskate padding started coming off the board, called them and they said they don't make wakeskates anymore and sent him a new wakesurf. He re-glued the pad and still has the wakeskate and now a new surfboard.

They were about two years old. No questions, nothing. I sent them a picture of the problem, and I got an email asking for my address and that I would have new skis at the house in 10 days.

• Like 2

Good to hear!

I've seen that happen with skis before when people store them with things on top of them or if they stuff them in storage some weird way that bends them. Take them out months later and they've molded to how they were forced to be stored.