Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing footage? (video inside)

petrie141

My best friends behind my VLX in a first try with a helmet rotor and a go pro.

I din't read the intro, and was like 'why the hell is this guy wearing a giant helmet?' Ahh, but I get it now. Very cool idea.

Anyone want to start a video competition just for fun? I'm thinking the first one could be longest lipside (backside drifter)? I think it'd be fun but I'm not sure if anyone would play along.

Anyone want to start a video competition just for fun? I'm thinking the first one could be longest lipside (backside drifter)? I think it'd be fun but I'm not sure if anyone would play along.

RayRay wins...

I'm still new here, who's RayRay?

You not new...wait one moment

Petrie You Are Surfing, I hope to get to your level One Day...What board is that?

This is RayRay

Edited by Afun

You not new...wait one moment

Petrie You Are Surfing, I hope to get to your level One Day...What board is that?

This is RayRay

Oh snap, RayRay is good!

I'm on a phase 5 prop in the video. It's flexing quite a lot now so that might eventually change. I think I might just weigh too much or be too tall for the board. Still fun though!

• Like 2

Ha! That'd be cool. I've thought about getting into competitions but I'm not too interested in traveling at the moment. If someone sets up a comp in my area though, I'm there!

Here's a few from our outing Tuesday. We're all newbies but getting there. This is my 10 yr old son in 2 of them and me in another.

Edited by jfreeddo
  • Like 2

So to get air is it like you Ollie ?

I guess what I mean is I can get a good amount of speed and cut up hard but not sure how to get air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by JoshinYall

So to get air is it like you Ollie ? I guess what I mean is I can get a good amount of speed and cut up hard but not sure how to get air Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get speed (number of pumps is up to you), aim for where the wake is at the tallest point closest to the boat (not too close to the swim platform), carve up the wave, stay light on your front foot and let it ride up in the air, then put weight on your front foot while letting up (and lifting up) with your back foot, then try to land with your board even and get ready to pump back into the sweet spot. It helps me a little, on surf style especially, to open up my body towards the boat almost like doing a frontside 90 degree turn.

Watch this video starting at the 8 minute mark.

Wow thanks that's a really informative video. I had no idea about some of that stuff (2 sweet spots) . I was already doing it sorta but didn't know it was a thing I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you are referring to is actually a frontside boardslide.

Boardslide is when the nose goes over the lip, lipslide is when the tail goes over the lip. When it comes to slides, frontside and backside refers to where the rail/lip is to the rider before they do the slide.

Also, the Prop is not too small for you. It's 54" which is plenty long. The problem is that the board is too soft. How old is it? The core seems to be really broken down.

What you are referring to is actually a frontside boardslide.

Boardslide is when the nose goes over the lip, lipslide is when the tail goes over the lip. When it comes to slides, frontside and backside refers to where the rail/lip is to the rider before they do the slide.

Also, the Prop is not too small for you. It's 54" which is plenty long. The problem is that the board is too soft. How old is it? The core seems to be really broken down.

Good description and you're right, frontside boardslide is what I was talking about, my back will be facing the boat and the nose of the board will go over the lip of the wave. I'll try to record a few today and add a timer to the video to see how long I can slide that way. I wish websites like alliance wakesurf or wakeworld would do little video contests like this to keep us entertained. Top 2 guys would get a hat or something cheap just for fun.

Congrats!

In all the attempts you are putting your feet down too soon. Let your feet come up more and you will get it pretty consistent