Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing footage? (video inside)

petrie141

Awesome Petrie!! How many hours you think you have surfing now?

Quite a few I guess. This is my first full time season surfing and I haven't had to do an oil change yet so, if I had to guess, I'd say 10+ hours of actual surfing? That's kind of a shot in the dark though.

Thoughts on finishing off the 360?

I'm sure others will chime in here too, but I'll give it a shot. You're getting all the way around so I think your rotation speed is okay. Once the spin is completed you're still in the pocket, so I would say your position on the wave is okay as well. Seems like the obvious problem is over rotation. If you click the "gear" icon on the youtube video, you should see a box that says speed. Change that to .25 and fast forward to 31 seconds. This will show you your video in slow motion. What I noticed is that when you get about 270 degrees around, your weight is still pretty even between your front and back foot. I would begin putting a decent amount of weight on your back foot at that point. This will help the fin grab and slow down your rotation which will stable you out. Too much weight and you'll wash out the back, too soon and you'll catch the back edge. It's got to be juuuuust right. Also, get ready to pump again in case you're headed out the back. Practice, practice, practice. I tell people on our boat all the time "you can't get better sitting on the couch".

I would actually suggest letting your front foot come up the wave when you stick your hand in, and then pivot on the lip of the wake. You can spin slower and stay in control easier. Once you get to 180 you start sliding back down the wave towards the boat while you finish the rest of the rotation.

That technique will also translate to surf style boards where your current technique will not work as well for surf style.

Hi all. First post. New to the sport. Got my 2013 Wakesetter VLX about 2 weeks ago and have been out for about 4 surf sessions. Here's a video from yesterday. Still dialing in the wave and everything else.

Open to feedback. My son (17) says I'm not very smooth. LOL.

What I noticed is that when you get about 270 degrees around, your weight is still pretty even between your front and back foot. I would begin putting a decent amount of weight on your back foot at that point. This will help the fin grab and slow down your rotation which will stable you out. Too much weight and you'll wash out the back, too soon and you'll catch the back edge. It's got to be juuuuust right. Also, get ready to pump again in case you're headed out the back.

Never thought of that, but it makes perfect sense. Good eye.

I would actually suggest letting your front foot come up the wave when you stick your hand in, and then pivot on the lip of the wake. You can spin slower and stay in control easier. Once you get to 180 you start sliding back down the wave towards the boat while you finish the rest of the rotation.

That technique will also translate to surf style boards where your current technique will not work as well for surf style.

Definitely 2 different techniques when doing 3's. And that's a great description of the other technique. Spot on with the part about that technique translating to surf style. But I've always found doing them the way you describe much more difficult.........more of an advanced technique?

Shawn you make spinning that soulcraft look easy. I almost have the opposite problem and was wondering if you changed the fins out? What fins are you running?

Hi all. First post. New to the sport. Got my 2013 Wakesetter VLX about 2 weeks ago and have been out for about 4 surf sessions. Here's a video from yesterday. Still dialing in the wave and everything else.

Open to feedback. My son (17) says I'm not very smooth. LOL.

Looked smooth to me? Maybe he's talking a move that wasn't on camera. Looked like a fine wave and good riding!

Shawn you make spinning that soulcraft look easy. I almost have the opposite problem and was wondering if you changed the fins out? What fins are you running?

LOL that's because it's a victoria factor (the first eight seconds are the soulcraft tho... which I'd agree is very locked in). The factor is a hoot to get on right after riding the SC because it's so loose.

LOL that's because it's a victoria factor (the first eight seconds are the soulcraft tho... which I'd agree is very locked in). The factor is a hoot to get on right after riding the SC because it's so loose.

Thats a perfect combo...I have narrowed my selection to the SC and Danielo Diamond...those boards are so opposite....

Thats a perfect combo...I have narrowed my selection to the SC and Danielo Diamond...those boards are so opposite....

Wow, that is a huge difference! Fire or ice, your choice.

Petrie 141 that's a great video ! Where do you surf that's beautiful water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lake Austin and Lake Dunlap. Mostly Austin though.