Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 Boatmate Malibu Tandem Axle Trailer Questions?

Afun

Does your seven way hiring harness completely disengage the surge brake when in reverse? Or when backing up the boat do you still need to use the locking pin? I am going up hill some in reverse and it always locks up the brakes without the pin in it. My 2004 Boatmate single axle trailer never needed the pin to disengage the surge brake in when in reverse. The new boat is about 700 lbs heavier. Could that be the issue? Thanks for your help.

Hard to understand the riveted lights.

Edited by Afun

7 pin completely lock out brakes as long as your vehicle is wired correctly. It works off your reverse lights on tow vehicle

Easiest way to check is to use a multimeter and put your truck in reverse and see if you have 12V at the reverse light pin on your truck. If you do, you may have a problem with the trailer wiring.

Youi can also, and let's see if I can explain this without sounding like a fool, take the connector from the trailer and the truck (they are both 4 pins + a ground, right?) and stick the last (farthest away from ground) male prong on the trailer connector into the first (closest to the ground) 'hole' in your trucks connector. The connectors will form an 'X'. Then turn your truck lights on and see if you can back up (disengage the trailer brakes).

The first hole on the truck connector is the running lights, the second and third are left and right tuen signal (and brake) lights anf the fourth should be reverse (have 12V when truck reverse lights are on). So you should have 12V in the first hole on the truck connector with your truck lights on....put the last male connector from your trailer in there and that should release the brakes.

Edited by RTS

Took it to UHaul where they installed the seven way. We do have the voltage when in reverse. It was checked. Is it a problem when you go up hill with out the pin. It has also locked the brakes on me not on a hill. My left turn signal light was not working when blinking or braking. It started working correctly on my way home last night. Could it be the wiring on the trailer?

Could be the wiring, could be the solenoid in the actuator. On my old Boatmate trailer with the UFP actuator, I could hear an audible 'click' inside the trailer tounge when I put 12V to the reverse pin on the trailer and the soleniod locked out the brakes.

EDIT: And I guess if I could hear it, it was audible....There was an audible click in the actuator. I need to get a new boat so I don't sit around the house drinking all weekend....

Edited by RTS

I had some issues with my new Boatmate trailer too when I first got it. The drivers side lights were intermittently cutting off when i was towing. Checked all the connections and couldn't figure out what was causing it. I mentioned it to Zach and before I could take it in, it seems to have fixed its self. Weird, but at least its working now?

I had some issues with my new Boatmate trailer too when I first got it. The drivers side lights were intermittently cutting off when i was towing. Checked all the connections and couldn't figure out what was causing it. I mentioned it to Zach and before I could take it in, it seems to have fixed its self. Weird, but at least its working now?

This thing with reverse stinks. Backing up the hill I need to put in the lock out pin. Sometimes when I back up on a flat surface surge brakes do engage. The lights started working last night. Lets see what happens next weekend. I will mention it to Zach.

Congrats on the VLX BTW, you're going to love it!!! I'm going to be on Norris next weekend, maybe we will run into each other!

Can you look up into the actuator and see if the wire that goes to the solenoid has been kinked/damaged?

Is it right underneath the tongue, color?

Color is blue, I think. Should be right under the tounge....there will be a 'release' lever in that area.

Remember, I am going I what I remember from my '02 with the UFP actuator....

Trace the wires from the connector to up inside the toungue area. A blue wire should break out from the harness and go to the solenoid. Color will be whatever color comes off the trailer connector farthest away from the ground slot.

Also, make sure your breakaway cable has not been pulled and that there is no pressure on it. Are your hubs getting hot when towing?

Here's what I would do first.

Park the rig on level ground and chock the trailer tires, and truck tires if you can. Firmly apply parking brake of truck. Put truck in reverse with ignition switch on, but engine not running. Connect and disconnect harness. With your head near the actuator, you should be able to hear the lockout solenoid engaging/disengaging when you do this.

Blue wire away from ground wire underneath the tongue seems ok not kinked. Wife just to,d me surge brakes locked on her too going reverse without the boat when she parked it for me.

Here's what I would do first.

Park the rig on level ground and chock the trailer tires, and truck tires if you can. Firmly apply parking brake of truck. Put truck in reverse with ignition switch on, but engine not running. Connect and disconnect harness. With your head near the actuator, you should be able to hear the lockout solenoid engaging/disengaging when you do this.

Ok, I will do this now.

Next thing I would do is disconnect the trailer from the truck, but not the light harness. Try to get a little room between truck and trailer....a few inches will do it. Put the truck in reverse, and you should be able to slide the UFP actuator in and out with just a bit of push (maybe a bit more than just a bit....but it should slide). You should be able to get it to travel all the way to the stop (the braking action should be zero (0)). If it pressurizes the brakes, something is going on that is not allowing the brake lock out mechanism to release the brakes.

Edited by RTS

Afun i had a problem with my 2012 boatmate not wanting to release brakes backing up and it was a fuse on my pickup truck.there are some out under the hood one of them to the trailer packup lights.

Afun i had a problem with my 2012 boatmate not wanting to release brakes backing up and it was a fuse on my pickup truck.there are some out under the hood one of them to the trailer packup lights.

I will check too

If you're getting the 'click', you're getting the necessary 12V signal to the solenoid when truck reverse lights come on. Sounds like the problem is not with the truck or wiring of the trailer, but somewhere in the actuator itself.

If you're getting the 'click', you're getting the necessary 12V signal to the solenoid when truck reverse lights come on. Sounds like the problem is not with the truck or wiring of the trailer, but somewhere in the actuator itself.

Afun RTS is correct if your clear trailer lights are coming on when your truck is in reverse it probably want be a fuse.

3 towing fuses all ok except that I have 10 amp in one and the diagram shows I need a 15.