Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

putting names on boats

cowboybarefooter

i am taking my first new malibu in couple days please help me out i have not seen to many tow boats with names or sayings on the back of boats like river boats or stern drives is this normal does anybody put names or sayings on their malibu boats. or is that not done much

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baddog

• Brad B

• RoverOn

• Addictedto6

You won't see to many boats this small with names on them, but a lot of people put saying or other things on them. I seen thing written like on "Our kids college fund", "Our Passion" (a crew member), "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you" (our boat), etc, etc, etc....

I think it's totally up to you cowboy. Some people say the boats are too small. I say the price wasn't.

Thanks for the shout-out, Patrick.

You don't see it often, not for sure why. We never really named our wakeboard boats but I always wanted to name my sportster "Pullme" and my truck "Pullme2" - I even got personalized plates for the truck but never got around to putting the name on the boat. We did name the new one though...

does anybody put names or sayings on their malibu boats. or is that not done much

With all thats said above.. to answer your question, it isn't done much

Most of them come from the factory with a preemo name already on them

Malibu

And I hear its bad luck to rename boats

It is indeed, but there is a Loop-Hole.

WakeMD wants to put, "Slippery when Wet!!!" on the transom of ours. Yahoo.gif

I have named my boat but just haven't made the decals up.

BOYZ TOYZ

in the same spot that is on Petes pic. Then when I have a wife (some day) I will change it to

BOYZ GIRLZ FUN TOYZ

I was thinking of "The Other Woman".

I have a friend, who got divorced this year, that had to purchase a new boat. Ex-wife wanted her name off the loan and he was upside down on the 04 26' Chaparell. He traded it in and ordered the same boat, but with all the options and what does he name it? KNOT HERS We still are laughing about this.

Side Bar:

Don't forget Rodney Dangerfield's boat in Caddyshack was named "Seafood".

My personnel favorite was an Eliminator Off shore Boat called "Drug Money".

I watched "Inside the Actors Studio" last week, Morgan Freeman was James Lipton's guest. Freeman was talking about his boat, which he named "Afrodesiac". I thought it was a cool name.

Edited by Madmanacrossthewater

we have the stickers, just need to apply them. Deja 'BU, named because it reminded us of our first boat, but now with my twins it has a second meaning.

so even though it may be taboo, it sounds like a lot of people do it. My last boat was already named "Mi nina" but my first two weren't. Haven't decided about the new one yet. If I can think of something witty I'd do it, but I am sort of creatively handicapped

I was thinking of "The Other Woman".

My father named his third boat "Jackie, bug you no more"....of course, he got a new boat about 6 years later, but that was after a divorce Biggrin.gif

i dunno why, but it just seems dorky to me when i see towboats or sub-25' runabouts with names.

i think the unwritten rule is if you can't sleep on it (comfortably), you don't name it.

Our 03 was "Your Mom" - see pics in gallery. Regarding the 25ft rule, I say when you pay this much for a boat you can do what you want with it. When someone buys it for me I'll follow what "they" say, whoever "they" is.

Our 06 will be getting "Black Betty" on her as hgaugh has already named her!

i dunno why, but it just seems dorky to me when i see towboats or sub-25' runabouts with names.

i think the unwritten rule is if you can't sleep on it (comfortably), you don't name it.

I never slept on Your Mom...but I've ridden her pretty good a few times :-)

I think that you HAVE to name a boat over 25' (coast guard) which is where the delineation comes from.

I thought naming your tow boat was lame until saw the drips across Your Mom's backside....drip moulds accross her stern that is Crazy.gif

I'm OK with it if it is not a trite, lame, overused name (like aquaholic or second wife).

The lamo names need to be saved for the 50 footers.... Yuk.gif

I never slept on Your Mom...but I've ridden her pretty good a few times

:lol:

Now THAT"S funny. Waaaaay below the belt, but funny nevertheless.

thanks for all the replies my 22ft chap my wife named THE COWBOY WAY i thought it was cool we got lots of looks when we traded it we took it off and i was thinking of cowboys hummer what do ya think on that name for our new sunscape.... the price would be right

I think that you HAVE to name a boat over 25' (coast guard) which is where the delineation comes from.

Length is not the determining factor. The coast guard does require the boat to have a name when/if you document the vessel. Documentation the short version, gets you out of paying all your sales tax - you pay an in-lue-of-tax instead. The boat must have a head and galley - you must be able to live on it in some form, not comfortably. When you document a boat it becomes registered with the Coast guard and they assign the vessel a documentation number in the form of a metal license plate that must be permanently attached to the inside of the boat, but externally you must display the documented name and hailing port. Typically boats under 24-25 feet are open bow runabouts and don't get documented and aren't required to have names. Over that length it just makes financial sense to document and therefor they all have names.

Haven't put it on the hull yet, and don't know for sure that i will, but my prime choice is: "Glass Seeker".
I like Glass Cutter.