Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf board for beginner

hunter77ah

Hey guys,

I have absolutely no experience with wake surfing and I am looking to buy my first board. I am 6'2 180 and plan to share it with my dad who is 6'2 but 210.

What size should I look for?

Brands?

Shape?

Skim (whatever this means)?

Not looking to spend a fortune, but would like something that would last for quite a while.

Thanks!

We are in the same position. What we did was rented one from a local store (rental price comes off the price of buying one) and tried it out. They gave us a big one 5'6 super light to try because it was a good beginner board and good for someone big like my husband (over 200lb). It was a Byerly ($600 bucks-yikes). We all were able to get up and it was a lot of fun but we didn't want to sink that much into a first time board.

We found one similar on craigslist for $225 with good reviews we are going to try out this weekend.

I found it online after we bought it new for not much more and free shipping :(

http://www.evo.com/outlet/wake-surfboards/ronix-evo-custom-wakesurf-board.aspx

We will probably use the money spent towards the rental for an intermediate board after we all get a little better :)

Thanks Brad for the link!

Botzon, I was looking at that board (evo outlet is great!), but also saw that there were some issues with durability. How has it held up for you?

Lol, I understand not getting the Byerly, $600 bucks is a bit much for a first board. I am in the same boat as you, I don't want to put a ton of money into something that I may not use. Mainly just want to get something to play around on that my dad will enjoy as well.

After reading the surf thread, I am also considering the CWB Tsunami. Any thoughts on that?

Or maybe the CWB Ride?

Edited by hunter77ah

Cwb ride. Great beginner board for any size rider also works well on smaller waves. Removable fins for either surf or skim style riding. I still keep this board on my boat for any beginners.

I've got the latest koal in the 5'0 as the beginner board on my boat. IMO it's a little bit fast and pearls too easy to be a true beginner board. Would've and should've bought the ronix Cortez but the place I ordered from was out. As far as durability, I haven't had any issues although I'm careful when handling light weight boards. The tsunami received great reviews in the review thread and I would've picked one up for my wife/newbs, but I get deals through other brands that make it impossible to switch.

Cwb ride. Great beginner board for any size rider also works well on smaller waves. Removable fins for either surf or skim style riding. I still keep this board on my boat for any beginners.

I keep this board on the boat for beginners too. Easy to learn on but you out grow it quickly

I recommend the Hyperlite Broadcast. 5'4". It is a versatile board that will not break the bank. As you get better, you may want a shorter board.

Thanks Brad for the link!

Botzon, I was looking at that board (evo outlet is great!), but also saw that there were some issues with durability. How has it held up for you?

Lol, I understand not getting the Byerly, $600 bucks is a bit much for a first board. I am in the same boat as you, I don't want to put a ton of money into something that I may not use. Mainly just want to get something to play around on that my dad will enjoy as well.

After reading the surf thread, I am also considering the CWB Tsunami. Any thoughts on that?

Or maybe the CWB Ride?

We took out the Ronix this weekend and it was great! Really glad we got it. The Byerly we rented was very easily damaged (small chip in it after 1 days use) the Ronix didn't have any problems for us but we are new so others may be able to advise on overall durability.

CWB tsunami- hands down the best boat board IMHO. Tough, fits in wakeboard rack, easy to learn on, spins 3s, airiels, you name it.

Learn on it, progress on it.

Edited by Ruffdog

:thumbup: On the tsunami we have had one in our rack going on 4 years and it has been a great board. We start everyone out on it and they always come back to it.

CB