Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Took On Some Surfgate Rollers!

Afun

And I lived to tell about it! What a mistake. Trying to do the D pattern to pick up the down surfer...oh man. I thought I could take on the rollers....wrong. Newbie mistake.

On another note lost some push on the wave....setting was 10.6, stock ballast full including bow, wedge deployed 100%. Original setting was 50% wedge deployed. Going to 100%, felt not as good. Almost went ropeless leaving from the swim deck. My phase five board may be a little advanced.

Rookie! Sorry, had to say it. :)

Come to a slow stop, let the waves pass, then slowly turn around.

Gla your having a great time with the new boat!

Rookie In Da House!!

Don't believe you because...........NO PICS!

By the way, Landed my first triple back flip to revert. It was awesome. :unsure:

Triple back flip...thanks. I'm trying to go ropeless. Don't one up me man...

Bro, my arms are going to fall off and my arse hurts from getting out of the water to the swim platform. I can't hear either....my ears have water in them...

Lucky for my wife...she joined me late in the day. Just hanging in the boat listening to some 80's with the Bluetooth and spotify app. A couple of random women wanted to jump in the boat. I had to put a stop to it. Is it the boat or Afun causing the attraction? All I know is, I have had 15 different conversations with strangers wanting to talk about the boat. Another thing, when the boat is on the trailer people tend to stare at it and forget they are driving too.

Welcome to owning a Malibu...Nice little club!

• Like 3

Rookie! Sorry, had to say it. :)

Come to a slow stop, let the waves pass, then slowly turn around.

Gla your having a great time with the new boat!

I throttle down to idle and crank the wheel all the way at the same time, the boat wants to turn opposite the direction the surfer because of the gate, so go that way. Once waves pass slowly head over.

I've had 2 people who have been driving my boat while I'm surfing not head my advice and do the same thing. I tell them expressly, just wait for the waves to die down, this is not like the boat your used to, and then I end up screaming like a mad man in the water. Definitely frustrating, but luckily it hasn't been real bad, just a little splash. It does seem like the bow of my VLX does run extremely low in the water, so there isn't a whole lot of room for error.

water in the bow or not that boat looked damn sexy while passing the house the other day.

Douglas lake is a special place for sure. You are lucky to live there.

AFun, every one of your posts sounds like a child wrote it. I am envious of the high you are currently riding!! Please don't let die down.

Also people are generally friendly and will chat it up with a guy that keeps his shirt on.

• Like 2

AFun, every one of your posts sounds like a child wrote it. I am envious of the high you are currently riding!! Please don't let die down.

Also people are generally friendly and will chat it up with a guy that keeps his shirt on.

I am very friendly, never serious and kind of ridiculous in a nutshell. Enough about me...I hear Canada buys the most Malibus. How much time do you get to boat?

And I lived to tell about it! What a mistake. Trying to do the D pattern to pick up the down surfer...oh man. I thought I could take on the rollers....wrong. Newbie mistake.

On another note lost some push on the wave....setting was 10.6, stock ballast full including bow, wedge deployed 100%. Original setting was 50% wedge deployed. Going to 100%, felt not as good. Almost went ropeless leaving from the swim deck. My phase five board may be a little advanced.

Have you considered more weight? I am running the 600 sumos in each locker, full mls, wedge all the way down, at 11.0 mph and you can surf for days... I had a 41 minute run the other day... also, is your speed control holding the boat true to the set speed? On my paddlewheel it would surge +/- .5-1.0 mph.... with the new GPS cruise its dead set at 11.0 99% of the time... makes a big difference.

And LOL, on Shasta last week a new driver towed me in the evening, everything was going great until I fell and realized I never told him how to pick me up without taking a roller... and boy, did he take one... I knew it was coming when he turned into my surf side.... water over the windshield! Needless to say, carpet was hanging on the houseboat that night!

Edited by Fman

I am very friendly, never serious and kind of ridiculous in a nutshell. Enough about me...I hear Canada buys the most Malibus. How much time do you get to boat?

Here on the wet coast, I already put 50hrs on mine this season. On pace to a 100hr season quite a bit if you really have the will.

I have been holding out on you guys with this video for several reasons:

1) The surfer (me) is not that good and doesn't need strangers critiquing him. :lol:

2) The anti-SG crown is sure to pan the wave. There's no pleasing some people.

3) The boat is not slammed, therefore not showing full potential.

With that said, I figured there had been more than enough conversation about the VLX + SG and somehow no photos or video. So here goes... please be kind.

Setup: VLX (Diamond), Full 1,250 of stock ballast, PnL 750's in lockers, Wedge at the very bottom, 11mph, Wife and kids in the boat, Ronix Parks Thruster Illuminati 5'1" board. (Basically the same setup as Fman).

Video taken by a passenger from the rear bench (i.e. not taken from low angle to make wave look artificially big).

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 3

I have been holding out on you guys with this video for several reasons:

1) The surfer (me) is not that good and doesn't need strangers critiquing him. :lol:

2) The anti-SG crown is sure to pan the wave. There's no pleasing some people.

3) The boat is not slammed, therefore not showing full potential.

With that said, I figured there had been more than enough conversation about the VLX + SG and somehow no photos or video. So here goes... please be kind.

Setup: VLX (Diamond), Full 1,250 of stock ballast, PnL 750's in lockers, Wedge at the very bottom, 11mph, Wife and kids in the boat, Ronix Parks Thruster Illuminati 5'1" board. (Basically the same setup as Fman).

Video taken by a passenger from the rear bench (i.e. not taken from low angle to make wave look artificially big).

Great looking wave. Seems real long with a bigger than average pocket. I am going with the 550's and full stock ballast. Looking forward to a wave that's a little longer. How do you like that board?