Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat shuts off after hitting big waves

Hey guys, I took my boat out to a larger lake last weekend and when I was crossing larger boats wakes, even at slow speeds, it would just shut off. I wasn't being reckless or anything maybe doing 10-12 mph. I would hit the larger wake and it would shut down. It would immediately start back up after hitting the start button, but didn't like it doing that.

Anyone had this happen?

I did. It turned out to be the cannon plug. I disconnected it and bent the males prongs slightly and reassembled and all was good. THis was after I checked and rechecked the lanyard kill switch.

I second the blue cannon plug. Mine got bent when the MTC got serviced. Drove me nuts for 6 months. The closest dealer to me (2 hours) just had Malibu ship a new switch and I installed it. Pretty easy. I'd just take it back to the dealer and have them replace the button since you're so close.

Hey guys, sorry for my ignorance when it comes to electrical, but I don't know what the cannon plug is or where it is located. Can you give me a little more info?

hmm, ok. that button seems to work ok, however, battery 1 does not work at all.... the dealership is going to come out to my house sometime this week....maybe they will figure something out. I will keep you posted.

• 7 years later...
On 7/19/2013 at 3:14 PM, RTS said:

I did. It turned out to be the cannon plug. I disconnected it and bent the males prongs slightly and reassembled and all was good. THis was after I checked and rechecked the lanyard kill switch.

Is it possible to tell me where the cannon plug is?? I’m have a similar issue and have no idea where and what my cannon plug is. I have a 2011 Wakesetter 23 LSV 

The Canon Plug is where the wiring harness from the engine manufacturer meets the wiring harness from the boat manufacturer.  Follow the wires from the ECM on the engine and you will come to a plug that looks like an old 35mm film canister.  Might be taped up or might be held together with a hose clamp.  

I disconnected it then very, very slightly bent the males prongs in random directions. It took slightly more effort to reassemble than in did to unplug it...which I took as a good sign.

Once reassembled it solved the intermittent cutting out when hitting wakes, etc. in the lake.

I had the exact same problem and I tracked it down to the blue “master” button on the dash. I did all of the recommendations as stated above and still occasionally would have the same issue. What I found was the button wasn’t holding itself in the on position in rough chop. Don’t know if the spring in the button was weak or it wasn’t getting completely pushed when turning on. I just bought another button/switch. This is on my 2013 23 LSV. Good luck. 

• 9 months later...

I’m having this same issue but when I hit waves, the screen in the cluster goes blue and then it kills the engine.  Once I turn the power off and back on everything works.....until I hit another big wave and it happens all over again.  Does anyone know if this is the same issue or if I have a screen issue? 2012 sunscape

On my 2010 the wiring for the ignition reset switch was not strain relieved and it pulled out of the backside of the reset switch partly causing an similar issue. I confirmed it was my issue while sitting in the boat and smacking the panel it was sitting in.

IMG_0200.JPG.5388fd7687bc5341ea0b9c5091cf4968.JPG