Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 23lsv rear pnp tanks not draining

euroman

Hello all,

I have a 2013 23lsv build date September 2012 so it is the earlier build type without a valve on the inlet side. Fills the 750 fly high bag first and then gravity drains to tank through drains at front and rear of bags. It fills fine, and drains fine until the bags are empty and the tank is about half full. At that point it slows to merely a dribble. I've opened the air vent plug on the top of the bag to no avail. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong? I csn hear the pumps working so it isnt a fuse. I've also tried to switch to fill and thrn drain but no luck.

My wife skis so I need to get all the water out of the back! Thanks in advance for any help!

Also, after fiddling with it this morning and getting no further, both drain pumps keep running even after the main power is off. That supposed to happen?

This situation is the same on both sides by the way. Thanks again!

Thanks pkh. They do shut off on their own after a while, figured that one out today!

Any thoughts on the drain? Seems when the bags are drained, the flow rate slows way down to a dribble once its down to draining the tank only. Whats yours like?

I haven't had that kind of trouble, my boat was built in February and I think had a newer version of the PNP. The bags drain quickly as does the tank, the bags I believe drain on their own and don't drain into the hard tanks like other PNP setups. I had that style last year and it always made it hard to get all the water out.

One problem I have had with my setup though is the bags losing some water, sometimes all their water. Sometimes they stay full, not sure what's up.

Edited by pkh

Euroman,

I have the exact same problem as you have with my tanks not draining after the bags are drained. To get around this I put the plug back into the rear drain line and don't use it at all. It now drains both tank and bag with a little residual in the bag. I believe the problem we have is that that rear drain line should be on the tank and not between the pump and the tank. If you take the rear cover off where that drain line is you will see it is attached to a "T" fitting between the tank drain and the pump and it is causing all sorts of problems.

No one seems to know what to do with this, but now there are two of us maybe we can convince Malibu to fix it properly. What is the point of the drain hose being there if you can't use it? I am very frustrated with this as I have had Wakemakers provide me all the fittings, but to no luck.

Thanks for that. I did see the t connection right before the drain pump. I thought I tried disconnecting the pnp bag to no avail, but cant remember for sure all the things I tried! I do have quick connects on the lines, would that make a difference?

I am going in for my 20hr service on friday, so I will report back on what they say. A fix would be nice! Thanks again for all input.

I agree a fix would be nice, I am not saying that I am happy with what I did just worked and why put the hose there if it doesn't do anything. If they come back and fix it for you let me know. Also, I would call Malibu and have them send in the shut off valves to your dealer so, they can install them as they won't send them directly to you. The shutoff valve allows you to only fill the tank and not the bags for wakeboarding etc. for beginners.

Here is a video of my daughter behind the boat.

A couple of other things you should have them fix or check.

1. Mobile Device Gateway is revision F as the previous won't has a hard time syncing with your iPhone etc. New version fixes this issue.
  2. They updated all the software for the Maliview and Viper (screen where you fill tanks and switches etc.

Sweet video! I am certainly not complaining about the surf wave we are making, it is certainly much better than we were used to (we traded in a 2007 response lxi). It would just be nice to be able to drain a bit better. I've spoken to the dealer and they mentioned that they can run the serial number through malibu to see what system is on there. There have been several updates to the pnp system (as you likely know) and they will make the necessary changes to the most up to date system. I'll keep you posted.

Oh, and yes, the software is to be updated as well. I looked into that previously since my maliview would revert to the preset screen on its own quite a few times. Also, the bluetooth does not always appear. My software is indeed out of date, and that will all be updated too. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!

Do yourself a favor, this winter install the Johnson pumps and separate from the Plug and play.... its such a better system, and will drain and fill quicker. Its a half day project to install, have been using it for a couple years on both boats and it works amazingly good. It will drain the bags pancake thin, and fill them to max capacity.

Just something to consider for a future mod project...

Thanks pkh. They do shut off on their own after a while, figured that one out today!

Any thoughts on the drain? Seems when the bags are drained, the flow rate slows way down to a dribble once its down to draining the tank only. Whats yours like?

I had this "conventional" PNP system on my axis and I'm confused why you're convinced there is still water to be drained? Reason I ask is the pump out is faster than the gravity drain. So, by the time the bag is empty, the tank may well be empty too? How do you know that's not teh case?

No worries Barefoot. 2 reasons I know water is still in the tanks:

1) The maliview shows 75-100% full still when the flow rate drops considerably if not stops completely with a trickle now and then if the pumps are on.

2) At that point, looking in the back I can see the bags are empty, and looking under the rear seat on the starboard side there is a small depression in the floor where you can see the tank. It is see through enough to confirm that there is still water present in the tank. Hope that makes sense.

As for future Johnson reversibles, maybe. We'll see what transpires at the dealer. Thanks for all the input, it is much appreciated!

Another way that I know the tanks are still 75-100% full is I disconnect the rear PNP line and then kick on the pump and it drains the tank just fine and there is plenty of water still left in it. Also, the PNP system does not drain the bags pancake think I would like it to, may consider moving to the Johnson system. Has someone documented this?

No worries Barefoot. 2 reasons I know water is still in the tanks:

1) The maliview shows 75-100% full still when the flow rate drops considerably if not stops completely with a trickle now and then if the pumps are on.

2) At that point, looking in the back I can see the bags are empty, and looking under the rear seat on the starboard side there is a small depression in the floor where you can see the tank. It is see through enough to confirm that there is still water present in the tank. Hope that makes sense.

As for future Johnson reversibles, maybe. We'll see what transpires at the dealer. Thanks for all the input, it is much appreciated!

how many ports are you using on the bag?

As an experiment, attach the fill on the bag to the drain on the bag so the bag is essentially out of the system. Then fill tank and drain tank....perform normally?

Another way that I know the tanks are still 75-100% full is I disconnect the rear PNP line and then kick on the pump and it drains the tank just fine and there is plenty of water still left in it. Also, the PNP system does not drain the bags pancake think I would like it to, may consider moving to the Johnson system. Has someone documented this?

plenty of water still left in what? the tank or bag?

I am assuming it is the same as mine, bag virtually empty (with a bit left so not pancake thin) and tank still about 75% full.

Mine has one fill port on top of the bag, and two drains in to the hard tank. One drain is at the back and one is at the front of the bag. Mine is an earlier system so the fill line from the pump only goes to the bag first, and then from the bag out one of the drains in to the tank. There is no valve that I can find to stop the bag from filling. If I attach the fill to the drain, wouldn't it be essentially the same thing in that there would still be a drain at the back of the bag? Would I leave the top open, and if so, wouldn't water start coming out there when filling? Sorry if I am missing something. I would be happy to try what you are suggesting, but the boat is currently at home in my shop. Won't be back on the water until the weekend (when summer holidays begin!) and I will have been to the dealer.

I am assuming it is the same as mine, bag virtually empty (with a bit left so not pancake thin) and tank still about 75% full.

Mine has one fill port on top of the bag, and two drains in to the hard tank. One drain is at the back and one is at the front of the bag. Mine is an earlier system so the fill line from the pump only goes to the bag first, and then from the bag out one of the drains in to the tank. There is no valve that I can find to stop the bag from filling. If I attach the fill to the drain, wouldn't it be essentially the same thing in that there would still be a drain at the back of the bag? Would I leave the top open, and if so, wouldn't water start coming out there when filling? Sorry if I am missing something. I would be happy to try what you are suggesting, but the boat is currently at home in my shop. Won't be back on the water until the weekend (when summer holidays begin!) and I will have been to the dealer.

So you have a two line drain system into hard tank, FOR SURE? If so, what I was suggesting would have been like putting the fill line to the TWO drain lines and essentially just bypassing the bag as if the boat had no bag at all. If you've got water in the tank that's not draining with the bag "out of the equation" then you obvioulsy have a pump issue. If it fills and drains fine, then something about your plumbing is off and we can take pictures, trace lines, etc.

Lets just say I have 3 lines coming out of or going in to the bags for sure! I am assuming the 2 bottom ones are drains as they go to the hard tank underneath. The top one definitely comes from the fill pump. Why don't I take some pictures this evening and post them up, if you don't mind taking a peek? That would be awesome!

Lets just say I have 3 lines coming out of or going in to the bags for sure! I am assuming the 2 bottom ones are drains as they go to the hard tank underneath. The top one definitely comes from the fill pump. Why don't I take some pictures this evening and post them up, if you don't mind taking a peek? That would be awesome!

That's fine. Just out of curiosity, when bag is drained and tank is full and won't drain, have you tried getting the boat on plane or otherwise giving it some motion?

My pumps are working fine it only goes to crap when I plumb the bag into the system with the PNP system. And yes the bag drains fine but once the bag is nearly empty and it should start draining the tank it pretty much slows down and the tank will not drain when the bag is plumbed into the PNP system as described from Malibu. I then just disconnect the rear PNP connection and put the factory plug on it so it is not doing anything and then it will drain the tank and the bag. However, because it only has one port it is slow, but works. And not the ideal configuration as described to me from Malibu, Wakemakers etc.

Yup, tried it with nose in the air, going on plane, at a stand still, all the same. Only thing that helps a bit motion wise is rocking the boat side to side.

My pumps are working fine it only goes to crap when I plumb the bag into the system with the PNP system. And yes the bag drains fine but once the bag is nearly empty and it should start draining the tank it pretty much slows down and the tank will not drain when the bag is plumbed into the PNP system as described from Malibu. I then just disconnect the rear PNP connection and put the factory plug on it so it is not doing anything and then it will drain the tank and the bag. However, because it only has one port it is slow, but works. And not the ideal configuration as described to me from Malibu, Wakemakers etc.

Something is amiss...on every design I've seen, the drain pump ONLY drains the tank. You're saying that one of your bag lines i going straight to the drain pump? If so, of course that won't work because which is easier to pump, water or air? And once the vacumm of air is sealed, it won't pump anything, naturally.

I'll take a picture of it this evening. The rear drain line from the bag goes to a T connector just before the pump. It does not go to the tank directly. That is one thing I am sure of, and is likely the culprit as you say.