Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

247 surf ballast config infinite weight available...

Ndawg12

Taking a crew of 8 out on Saturday ~ 1200 lbs VAB. We basically have access to enough ballast to sink the boat ( it might take 2 hrs to manually fill but I don't care). I want to Slam this thing for the best listed wave possible. "Best" to me is being able to ride 20' plus back with good push, size of the wave being a distant third requirement. I've been intrigued by people putting "some" weight on the opposite side to give the boat a bigger footprint through the water so I welcome those ideas as well.

Pics and vids to support your suggestion would be great too.

TIA,

Nate

Center, left, and front stock tanks full. 1100 in the locker. 750 on the floor against the seat base. 750 on the side seat, all the way back. 400 on the seat towards the observer seat. 400 in the bow up against the side.

Center, left, and front stock tanks full. 1100 in the locker. 750 on the floor against the seat base. 750 on the side seat, all the way back. 400 on the seat towards the observer seat. 400 in the bow up against the side.

Yup 2 hours plus. Would I be able to plane with that (hh,1235)?

Edited by Ndawg12

Mine likes the counter weight on the the opposite side on the regular wave, not so much on the goofy side. Counter weight whe riding goofy for some reason washes out the wave.....unless you wanna ride at 14 mph.

You don't have to completely slam a 247 to ride 20 ft. back by the way. You can do that with all hidden ballast.

martinarcher

Boo ya. I would look up some of Wheelhouses old posts where he talked about his weight set-up.

I'll be driving across Norman tomorrow so I'll be watching for a tidal wave behind a 247!!! :rockon: Have fun dude!

Mine likes the counter weight on the the opposite side on the regular wave, not so much on the goofy side. Counter weight whe riding goofy for some reason washes out the wave.....unless you wanna ride at 14 mph.

You don't have to completely slam a 247 to ride 20 ft. back by the way. You can do that with all hidden ballast.

We did leave some counterweight for the goofy side and I completely agree, the face never really cleaned up like the regular side.

Edited by Ndawg12

Boo ya. I would look up some of Wheelhouses old posts where he talked about his weight set-up.

I'll be driving across Norman tomorrow so I'll be watching for a tidal wave behind a 247!!! :rockon: Have fun dude!

You may have seen the residual rollers but you wouldn't have been able to see the boat, we stayed on the other side of the lake.

Well here are some pics, I was white knuckle driving most of the day so I didn't take too many photos. Everyone was happy with it though :whistle: I'm not going to speculate where all the weight was at, I left the crew fill it all where they wanted it, I just told them to stop before we sunk :biggrin: it ended up being around 3-4k lbs plus a crew of 8 or so.

IMG_0638_zps327a1ae6.jpg

IMG_0637_zpseee9e3be.jpg

IMG_0639_zps5ec04321.jpg

IMG_0640_zpsc8f02122.jpg

IMG_0642_zpsf5878eb9.jpg

Edited by Ndawg12

It was long but not long enough :biggrin: We only put a 750 in the rear so it wasn't super tall. We had weight nicely dispersed all down the port side and 600lbs in the nose with all stock ballast full. My goal is length, not a chest high wave while hovering over the swim platform. I think we made good strides.

Edited by Ndawg12

so if you add some weight to the opposite side you can lengthen the wake? I have managed on my small boat to get a good wake, high, steep and with alot of weight in the noise longer. but not long enough.......still feels pretty close to the boat.

Didn't know this video was shot, at the end you can see why I can't stand jetski's/skiers!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201355724762337&set=vb.1450193103&type=2&theater

Content unavailable.

BTW I'm very interested in this but with a 247 I think you could have done better! :Tease3: If you really want to test this theory out I'd be stacking bags on top of each other the whole length of the surf side and than have your buddies move around surf or non surf side until yo get best results. I would guess speed would be up around 13-14 mph for the LONGEST wave.

The hammerhead and 1235 were all ready starting to struggle. And especially when we surfed goofy I had to stand to see anything over the port side bow and slowing down and avoiding the chili dip was a chore as well. I think we had plenty of weight, I think the day may have confirmed that I need to plumb in some 1100's in the rear, a triangle bag for the bow, and 1 bag on each side, and then wait for Matt to finish his little project :whistle:

The hammerhead and 1235 were all ready starting to struggle. And especially when we surfed goofy I had to stand to see anything over the port side bow and slowing down and avoiding the chili dip was a chore as well. I think we had plenty of weight, I think the day may have confirmed that I need to plumb in some 1100's in the rear, a triangle bag for the bow, and 1 bag on each side, and then wait for Matt to finish his little project :whistle:

Oh ya I guess that motor has a bit more work to do in that to begin with. Maybe more bow weight (where?).

And yes I'm waiting on matt too, not at all in a state of slight discouragement and valuing my time on the water...

Ditch the bow triangle. You don't any more weight than half the stock tank up there. That really flattens out your wave running weight up front. It also ruins your lean. Concentrate your weight about 60/40 biased to the rear with the rest in front of the observers seat.

Lengthen the wave with speed. I run about 12.5 regular side. Still working on the goofy wave. It does not want to cooperate........

I find this odd because every other Malibu I have been on and owned has ALWAYS been easier to setup a goofy wave.

Ditch the bow triangle. You don't any more weight than half the stock tank up there. That really flattens out your wave running weight up front. It also ruins your lean. Concentrate your weight about 60/40 biased to the rear with the rest in front of the observers seat.

Lengthen the wave with speed. I run about 12.5 regular side. Still working on the goofy wave. It does not want to cooperate........

I find this odd because every other Malibu I have been on and owned has ALWAYS been easier to setup a goofy wave.

Agree completely, but if you mostly surf the other side then maybe it's best to not question it. :lol: