Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Questions about 2013 VTX

RTS

I am considering the purchase of a boat to replace the SSLXi I sold earlier this year.

My boating history:

10 years ago, while messing around helping a friend launch a sailboat, I saw (and heard) and Malibu Sportster take off from the dock, and decided a boat, with that kind of looks and engine would be fun, so I went to the Malibu dealership the next day and they had a demo SSLXi with 25 hours on it. I liked it and within 3 days owned the boat. I did no research, did not know about the old MBO site, and basically got very lucky. The boat served me well for 10 years, including my family which grew from just my wife and I to being a family of four.

Family/Friends 'skill set' and requirements for a new boat:

I free ski and wakeboard a little. Kids tube and ride their ski trainer. Wife skis on two skis. Friends ski (a couple in the course), wakeboard and their friends tube and ride the ski trainer. My friends and I have been talking about learning to surf....it seems to be all the rage, and looks like a lot of fun.

What I liked about the SSLXi....the room, the storage, the relibility of the Monsoon, it was a good looking boat that got attention at the ramp. It was pretty simple, I was able to do 99% of maintenance and repairs myself.

I first was looking at the Response TXi's, but am now considering the VTX on a Cut Diamond Hull w/SG.

Finally the questions.

I won't ask about SurfGate, as those questions I had have been addressed in another thread to my satisfaction.

The ski wake.....I am not an expert, and not even really any good, but I just don't want to be launched in the air by the wake. How much difference can I expect bewteen the VTX and the SSLXi?

Interior room...I understand the boat is almost 2' shorter than my old boat, but will the V-drive layout make up for that as far as kids scampering around the interior? We always had an issue with the clamshell of the DD, but just climbed/jumped over it.

Storage....will miss that locker, I am sure, but unless and unti I add sacks to the rear lockers, how much storage will I be giving up?

Speaking of the PnP sacks, are all '13 VTXs preplumbed for this....the dealer website does not list it.

The hi tech dash and controls scare me....is it safe to assume the bugs have been worked out of this setup by Malibu, if there were any bugs to begin with?

What type of speed control is standard these days? What it Optional? Would like some type of GPS setup.

Will the boat handle even remotely close to the SSLXi, which I enjoyed blasting around the lake on by myself in the winter? I know it is a V-drive and all, but just wondering how they compare.

I am heading to the dealer soon to put my hands on the boat, but in the meantime I would appreciate any insight. I would like to be as prepared as possible before go in there. I don't like dealerships and don't trust salespeople....boat, car or otherwise.

Any options that are must have?

I can answer a couple for you:

PnP is an option, not standard. The same goes for the bow ballast mls.

Precision Pro is the standard cruise...does well at surf and ski speeds, but seems to wander up and down about 1mph each side of the set speed from about 13-25mph. (At least on my LSV and I've heard others complain of the same, but not sure which boats)

These boats have lots of under seat storage as well as storage under the "observers seat" on the port side.

I sold a 99 Response and got into a 2011 VTX, so from my perspective:

-I was happy with the ski wake on the VTX as long as I kept speed over 31mph and 15' off. Go slower and the wake got pretty bad compared to a DD. My wife hated the wake as she is a beginner and likes to ski around 29mph Hard to counteract the motor in the back.

-I think the wedge on the VTX needs to be redesigned. Mine porpoised with the Wedge in use at wakeboard speeds.

-As far a V-Drives go, the VTX is one of the best handling of the bunch. Big tracking fins, flat hull design. Almost a good as my Response. Only negative is the VTX likes to dip the bow more than the other V-drives that Malibu offers.

-From an electronics perspective, my VTX was a POS! MTC failures, Malivue failures, power wedge failures, and on and on. It was at the dealer so much, he basically bought the boat back and put me into a 2012 VLX which has had very few electrical problems so hopefully they have worked the bugs. Personally, I feel that Malibu has quite a bit of opportunity to improve quality.

-Get the GPS speed control!!! The standard Malibu speed control was terrible at ski speeds on my VTX. I have zero off on my VLX and it works great.

Now if I might make a suggestion: Please consider a VLX on the cut diamond. Having had both, my VLX is a SUPERIOR hull from a wakeboard and wakesurf perspective and the ski experience is about the same. You will give up a small bit of handling due to the length and weight increase, but the increased width and length gives you so much more room. Furthermore, the cost increase of the VLX is small in relation to what you get in value.

Get out and drive them all if you can. Hope this helps.

I am considering the purchase of a boat to replace the SSLXi I sold earlier this year.

My boating history:

10 years ago, while messing around helping a friend launch a sailboat, I saw (and heard) and Malibu Sportster take off from the dock, and decided a boat, with that kind of looks and engine would be fun, so I went to the Malibu dealership the next day and they had a demo SSLXi with 25 hours on it. I liked it and within 3 days owned the boat. I did no research, did not know about the old MBO site, and basically got very lucky. The boat served me well for 10 years, including my family which grew from just my wife and I to being a family of four.

Family/Friends 'skill set' and requirements for a new boat:

I free ski and wakeboard a little. Kids tube and ride their ski trainer. Wife skis on two skis. Friends ski (a couple in the course), wakeboard and their friends tube and ride the ski trainer. My friends and I have been talking about learning to surf....it seems to be all the rage, and looks like a lot of fun.

What I liked about the SSLXi....the room, the storage, the relibility of the Monsoon, it was a good looking boat that got attention at the ramp. It was pretty simple, I was able to do 99% of maintenance and repairs myself.

I first was looking at the Response TXi's, but am now considering the VTX on a Cut Diamond Hull w/SG.

Finally the questions.

I won't ask about SurfGate, as those questions I had have been addressed in another thread to my satisfaction.

The ski wake.....I am not an expert, and not even really any good, but I just don't want to be launched in the air by the wake. How much difference can I expect bewteen the VTX and the SSLXi?

By the sound of your skill level you should be very happy with the ski wake. The biggest thing people need to understand is to keep it above 30 mph. If you ski below this the wake can get big fast (or slow?). Like Tim said, newbie's or those still working up the speed have a lot more difficulty than a more experienced skier. Ie it's not the best boat to teach newbies to ski.

Interior room...I understand the boat is almost 2' shorter than my old boat, but will the V-drive layout make up for that as far as kids scampering around the interior? We always had an issue with the clamshell of the DD, but just climbed/jumped over it.

You will find there's way more room in the VTX than almost any DD. Trust me you'll be happy with room.

Storage....will miss that locker, I am sure, but unless and until I add sacks to the rear lockers, how much storage will I be giving up?

You'll have more storage, not less. This shouldn't be a concern to you. Even with sacs.

Speaking of the PnP sacks, are all '13 VTXs preplumbed for this....the dealer website does not list it.

Option, get it!

The hi tech dash and controls scare me....is it safe to assume the bugs have been worked out of this setup by Malibu, if there were any bugs to begin with?

It scares me too and I think rightfully so, especially if your keeping it past the warranty.

What type of speed control is standard these days? What it Optional? Would like some type of GPS setup.

Comes with paddlewheel cruise control, option up to the GPS option.

Will the boat handle even remotely close to the SSLXi, which I enjoyed blasting around the lake on by myself in the winter? I know it is a V-drive and all, but just wondering how they compare.

Haven't driven a SSLXi but the VTX handles very well, not quite response like, but it is a fine handling boat. You'll enjoy cruising around in this more than the SS!

I am heading to the dealer soon to put my hands on the boat, but in the meantime I would appreciate any insight. I would like to be as prepared as possible before go in there. I don't like dealerships and don't trust salespeople....boat, car or otherwise.

Any options that are must have?

MUST HAVE:

Diamond Hull

Bow ballast (Makes EVERY wake better, wakeboard, surf, ski!)

Wedge (I'm a manual kind of guy, KISS)

Surfgate (Duh, It makes a WORLD CLASS COMPETITION wave with just stock ballast!!!!!!)

Should have:

PNP (You will want this at some point, get the plumbing in now)

GPS cruise

Consider:

ski rack (if you are going out for the day and not launching from a cottage, there is no formal ski locker, although under the side bench will work)

transom flush pro (if you do your own maintenance)

extended pylon (if you would like to use a boom)