Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A few questions about replacing my heater core

Chauncemaster

The old VLX fired up on the first go like a champ this weekend after a long winter. However, my heater didn't seem to fare as well as I found out when my feet started to get wet in the drivers seat.

Anyway, I already ordered a new core from heatercraft and it should hopefully be here in time for next weekend but I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with:

• In my haste to bypass the heater and put in a straight pipe I lost track of which hose had been on the intake and which was on the return. Is this important to keep straight and if so what is the best way for me to figure it out again.
  • Is there anything special I should do to try to dry out the carpet that is soaked or just leave it alone like I would when I end up naturally getting water in the boat.
  • I want to install a valve that will allow me to bypass the heater. Where is the best place to install such a valve and do I need to put one on both hoses or just one?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide

Intake is the hose that comes form the top of the intake manifold and the return goes to the water pump or the main water intake by the raw pump. Shouldn't matter which line goes where on the heater core, no check valves or anything. I would put shut off valves on both lines, where ever you can install them easy, no need for the water to run through lines if the heater core is out or not working.

Intake is the hose that comes form the top of the intake manifold and the return goes to the water pump or the main water intake by the raw pump. Shouldn't matter which line goes where on the heater core, no check valves or anything. I would put shut off valves on both lines, where ever you can install them easy, no need for the water to run through lines if the heater core is out or not working.

What he said!

thanks for the info

One more comment. If the next one from heatercraft doesn't last long, you can either try to get it repaired at a local radiator shop or pickup a matching core from Napa. Supposedly heatercraft changed their materials so the core lasts longer, but I haven't heard any results (positive or negative).

• 1 month later...

I just got back from a week long trip at Lake Powell and my heater core started leaking on about the fourth day of the trip? We went for a boat ride from Halls Creek bay to Mokie Canyon and about half way there my floor was wet under my feet. At first I thought it was just my water bottle but it was way to much water. Needless to say I would of killed to have some shut of valves some place along those lines. I ended up plugging one with a small screwdriver and a hose clamp and the other line I had to fold it in half and hose clamp it. Shut of valves could have saved my sub box from getting wet.

Mine leaked first time out this year. Took it to a repair shop (not many of those left) and he had it beautifullu repaired in one day for $30. Not bad.