Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mounting Gate Upside Down results

mnhays

Last night I randomly decided to make a wooden gate for surfing and in my haste to beat the setting sun I accidentally mounted the plate upside down with the holes I had measured and pre drilled. What I got was a gate that was from just below the platform to just below the bilge drain.

Boat was weighted evenly with 500-600# in each locker

I mounted it starboard and it created a massive beautiful wave on the port side. Starboard side was non existent.

Take a look. I thought it was hilarious. :whistle:

maybe this could be a thing? if the gate allows enough water to go underneath it seems to displace it across the boat. the wave also wasn't centered off the prop.

post-18256-0-84883400-1374169922_thumb.j

yeah, I took a picture, but it must not have taken for some reason, I'll get it when I get home. I just got a new phone and it some times doesn't take pictures...

martinarcher

I think he means he mounted it upside down to where he intended which caused the gate to sit higher on the boat (top edge of the gate sitting higher out of the water). From your pic it looks a lot like mine when deployed. The top edge of my gate is about an inch out of the water when at rest with the boat level. My gates are 10 inches tall.

Once I screwed in the bottom bracket I just went with it. And then pre drilled for the top 2 and it say really high I thought. I think the gate needs to be further down. As they're flush with the platform it seems. Mine was almost flush with the top of the platform on the bottom of the gate! This made the wave on the opposite side. I was just surprised.

post-18256-13742355872915_thumb.jpg

the wave is always on the opposite side of the boat as the gate. that's the way it works

I think we all know that. He just mounted the gate upside down. He was not mounting it on the wrong side of the platform.

if you read his last post it says " this made the wave on the other side I was surprised" as if he expected it on the same side as his gate