Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Holy Cow!

Somewhere on this forum or wakeworld someone asked about the best cleaner & I forgot the name but then someone chimed in that Totally Awesome at the dollar store is the exact same stuff, in fact it is made by the brand name & it is only a dollar. Stuff works awesome! My only concern is all the ammonia & I am not sure what that potentially does to vinyl

I used it to clean the scuffs that were on the boat for the orange roller wheel. Then I used it to clean some other scuffs all around the boat. I did use it on the vinyl as well; however I didn't do any scrubbing on the vinyl with it. And only on extremely stubborn spots. The rest was cleaned with 303 and afterward all vinyl was protected with 303. I was amazed at how well it cleaned the hull. After getting rid of all that and a new coat of wax...She looks good.

I use it at the beginning of every season to clean any stains on the vinyl then i use the 3m marine vinyl protectant. I have noticed that if i dont use the 3m protectant i get mildew after it sits for the winter. Im pretty sure the sponge strips everything off.

Fwiw, It was explained to me by someone at Malibu that the stitching on the vinyl is impregnated with wax to prevent/prolong uv damage. Anything with bleach, ammonia, or other chemical that would break down wax should not be used on the vinyl.

Just be careful and avoid the seams, avoid scrubbing the seams with anything actually. Once the fabric is gone and you still just see the clear fiber left then its days are numbered. Always follow a cleaning with 303 and I always really work it into the seams. YMMV

Can't wait to see that gem in a few weeks :thumbup:

MalibuNation

Just out of curiousity what is the downfall to vinyl if used... experiences? What was the result?

It is abrasive ... don't scrub too hard.

Just went to the Dollar Tree to pick some of this stuff up. They only had the Oxyclean type and the laundry stain remover. Are either one of these what you guys are using?

I had one of my seats repaired and the guy cleaned it for me. It gave me hope that the rest can be cleaned. I don't have any stains just a lot of dirt in the vinyl. He said he used something called Detailers Dream but I couldn't find anything on it. He was reluctant to tell me so he may have just made it up to get me out of his shop.

Just went to the Dollar Tree to pick some of this stuff up. They only had the Oxyclean type and the laundry stain remover. Are either one of these what you guys are using?

I had one of my seats repaired and the guy cleaned it for me. It gave me hope that the rest can be cleaned. I don't have any stains just a lot of dirt in the vinyl. He said he used something called Detailers Dream but I couldn't find anything on it. He was reluctant to tell me so he may have just made it up to get me out of his shop.

I used this:

mr-clean-magic-eraser_05102010131819.jpg

followed by this:

303-hot-tub-cover-protectant.jpg

http://www.lastotallyawesome.com/

Works on more than vinyl. Great for tires, carpet....... Tons of uses. Used it on every boat I have owned. Be careful and try not to get it on the gel coat or any stainless or polished stuff. Won't damage it bad but will leave streaks.

Make sure you rinse it well. If I recall one of the guys over on Wakeworld compares LA's Totally Awesome with some of the high dollar Babes or Boat Bling cleaner and it is basically the same stuff.

Here in NC you can get a 16 oz bottle of the LA's for a buck and the 3/4 Gallon refill for 3 bucks. You may have to check a few, but can usually find it at dollar general.

Sorry for the hijack.....yes I use magic eraser on stubborn stains.

Edited by NCVride
  • 9 months later...