Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for a 2nd boat, good ski and OK wakeboad

leugie

A TRI-STAR is a wanna be Mastercraft....DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love our Echelons....great ski boats for the money..... and while I have never wakeboarded any of my Echelons, I am sure it would be OK if loaded with some ballast....

and you can surely find one in your price range with a small block in it....

Just curious, when you say ski....are you talking slalom course and tournament quality?

than a response or sportster will ski well, dont know about wakeboarding though...also in your price range is a 97 to 99 ski nautique 196 but not a good wakeboard wake without lots of ballast...and if you could find a Tige 2004 21i in your price range, that will do both well

I have an '89 malibu Euro F3 that I would sell for a little under $10K. It is very nice with tower, speakers, lights etc. All new intereior as well.

I am in middle GA

Edited by maroon88iroc

Get this Echelon. It is not mine, but I know the owner. They take care of their stuff.

1994 Malibu Echelon Inboard Ski / Wakeboard boat Big Block 502 big block chevy 500HP fuel injected, boat was originally a 454. 292 hours on boat, less than 30 hours on motor. Interior just got redone, boat hasn't even been used sense new interior has been installed. This is a great boat hate to see it go.$14500 Janesville,Wi Call 608-921-7684

http://showskiers.com/forum/index.php?threads/1994-malibu-echelon-inboard-ski-wakeboard-boat-big-block-502-500hp.4155/

Get this Echelon. It is not mine, but I know the owner. They take care of their stuff.

1994 Malibu Echelon Inboard Ski / Wakeboard boat Big Block 502 big block chevy 500HP fuel injected, boat was originally a 454. 292 hours on boat, less than 30 hours on motor. Interior just got redone, boat hasn't even been used sense new interior has been installed. This is a great boat hate to see it go.$14500 Janesville,Wi Call 608-921-7684

http://showskiers.com/forum/index.php?threads/1994-malibu-echelon-inboard-ski-wakeboard-boat-big-block-502-500hp.4155/

An operational computron!!!! :clap:

A 500hp 502 in an Echelon. :shocked:

And not one motor pic in the ads. :(

It is suppose to be at Wis. Rapids this weekend. I'll get you some pics. Largest water ski tournament in the world is started today. Best Cheeseburgers in the state during this weekend too.

leugie, if you are not happy with the slalom wake of your DD Sunsetter you are pretty much looking at tournament boats only for a "second boat". Response, Sportster, Echelon, MC 190, or Ski Nautique 196. A little more info as to what you are hoping for in comparison to your current boat might help narrow it down.

It is suppose to be at Wis. Rapids this weekend. I'll get you some pics. Largest water ski tournament in the world is started today. Best Cheeseburgers in the state during this weekend too.

Hope the weather holds out for you and thanks for the info. Rapids is only 35 minutes from me, maybe we'll find some free time to run down for a burger.

What time is your crew on?

Hope the weather holds out for you and thanks for the info. Rapids is only 35 minutes from me, maybe we'll find some free time to run down for a burger.

What time is your crew on?

Sunday morning, second show. About 8:30am. I'll be the hidden guy behind the back drop this year. Mr. Safety.

The Point beer goes good with burger too.

My vote is a sporty. They can be had for a decent price in good condition. I ski my SSLX as often as possible and find it to be pretty respectable. It's not the best course boat in the world, but for me, not bad. I ski it, an old MC Stars and Stripes, a sporty, and a 1993 MC PS205. I'd take the sporty out of this line up any day.

Maybe I'm mistaken but wouldn't a sporty be a horrible wakeboard boat? I know all of these are ski boats but if he's looking for some type of compromise wouldn't a sunsetter or response perform better in the wakeboard department? I always figured (primarily sue to the free-board) that the sporty would be a pretty bad boat for producing a producing a useful wake.

I ride behind my friends '78 Ski Nautique about once a week. We throw about #500 in the back of it behind the motor and its pretty fun. Not real wide, but extremely poppy b/c the weight just sinks the back of it.

Maybe I'm mistaken but wouldn't a sporty be a horrible wakeboard boat? I know all of these are ski boats but if he's looking for some type of compromise wouldn't a sunsetter or response perform better in the wakeboard department? I always figured (primarily sue to the free-board) that the sporty would be a pretty bad boat for producing a producing a useful wake.

I would tend to agree. With a wedge and the desire for only and "ok" wakeboard wake, then maybe it's adequate. It all depends on what "ok" means.

I ski open water but want a decent slalom wake, currently ski behind sunsetter DD.

A little confused. The Sunsetter DD is a great ski boat. And with a wedge it makes a decent wake. What am I missing?
  • Like 2

I should have been more specific, I really like my Sunsetter, the new boat will stay in northern Michigan and only used two to three weeks per year. I dont want to spend alot for the limited use it would have. The sportser is a bit to small, never skied behind a echelon or a pre 1997 response, how are those wakes for slalom? Thanks for the inputs

I should have been more specific, I really like my Sunsetter, the new boat will stay in northern Michigan and only used two to three weeks per year. I dont want to spend alot for the limited use it would have. The sportser is a bit to small, never skied behind a echelon or a pre 1997 response, how are those wakes for slalom? Thanks for the inputs

This just cleared up a lot of questions. I take it your quite happy with the sunsetter? Why not look for another?