Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What parts am I missing from a my ballast system?

jwl019

I have a new to me 01 Wakesetter VLX and this is the first boat that I have had that has a built in ballast system already so not sure what all I need since I have only used a pump over the side anytime I wanted extra ballast in my other boats.

A little description of what is in the boat:

Center (MLS?) = a red/white/blue pump (Rule maybe, but not for sure) attached directly to the thru hull in the ski locker for fill, a Tsunami 800 for drain, and a vent line. I am not sure what size bag is in the locker but it is a 2 piece bag (zip cover over the bag).

Rear lockers = a Tsunami 800 attached directly to the thru hull for fill and a Tsunami 800 for drain on each side and the vent lines for the 400# fat sacs back there (1 in each locker).

I haven't paid much attention to the whole system other than make sure it works with no leaks until I tried to replace the 400's with 750's prior to my vacation last week and started really looking at it and also needed to change out my shaft packing but couldn't get wrenches down there for how the Tsunami's where mounted a few inches directly to the side of the nut. I did not have room for the 750's since I have a battery in each locker so I just ordered a few quick disconnects from Bakes so I can pull the bags and let the lockers dry out was the only upgrade I did.

A few items I think I may need just from what I have read so far:

Shut off valve between the pumps and thru hulls (thinking this needs to be immediately and any tips on how to mount)

Sealant for the shut off valve (recommendations of what is a good one to use?)

Some kind of anit siphon or I need to cross my vent lines in the rear lockers

Anything else that would be helpfull or needed???

With the shut off valves, that is going to lift the Tsunami pumps up some, so is there a certain distance I don't want to raise them up past or anything like that? Can I come out of the thru hull with a 90 and then to the shut off valve with a small section of ballast hose and then the pump to give me some flexibility if I can find room?

Thanks

Edited by jwl019

Wow, just looked at Bakes and shut off valves are $15 each, with those and other misc parts I have about $225 in ballast parts for an already installed system!

You might be able to save a little cash by going to your local hardware store... BUT, ain't nothing cheap about boating. I just think about my boat and it cost me a hundred bucks.

Edited by Levi900RR