Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tubers....

saidainc

Hate them. We've done it but we dont do death cookies and follow wakeboarders and surfers boats and pass them at high rate of speeds. Just had to get this out because I could have killed this one guy....

• Like 2

I'm with you on this one. Where we ride, it's near a large mountain wall which blocks the wind and keeps it somewhat flat and calm. Last time I checked you didn't need flat water to tube, so I can't understand why these people love to go blasting through where they see a bunch of people trying to board. There's a huge lake, find somewhere else to tube.

Edited by bcf2003

I agree as well. Saturday night we were surfing in a cove and by ourselves and two boats pulling tubers continuously circled my boat for an hour. Not a single other boat to be seen, and the jokers just kept right by us. One came within 30 ft of me when i was in the water. next time i'm going to pay them a visit.

• Like 2

Happens every weekend to me. I think none of them no how to use their own wake to pull a tuber and instead try to use ours. I have had more close-calls from tubers than I care to count.

I agree as well. Saturday night we were surfing in a cove and by ourselves and two boats pulling tubers continuously circled my boat for an hour. Not a single other boat to be seen, and the jokers just kept right by us. One came within 30 ft of me when i was in the water. next time i'm going to pay them a visit.

You don't really need the best water to surf, though... and they probably wanted to get air off of your wake.

I hate tubers as much as anyone, but I can see why they like you. They're likes moths to light.

• Like 2

I feel wakesurfers can destroy the calm water much more than tubers. With wakesurf wakes not only do you have to contend with giant wakes, you also have to deal with the residual rollers behind the wakesurf boat.

Though I do feel tubers are more likely to run into someone.

My issue with the tubers are generally with the drivers who don't know what else is going on on the lake. A tuber who criss crosses through a single wakeboard set, I can see how they might not understand what the other boat is doing. A wake board driver who is in the same cove as a barefooter and is doing power turns to pick his boarder should be shot (or at least maimed) Bottom line is, we're all boarders, surfers, skiers, and 'footers. We should see and be considerate of the other people using particular parts of the lake. If I see a skier or footer and I've not started pulling a boarder/surfer, I slow to no wake (really no wake, not the 6" wake at 5MPH) and wait until they pass or are finished. I use the time to talk to the kids in the boat and describe what they're doing and why I've slowed down to a near stand still. If I've already got a boarder, I try and follow their line to a T until I can't any more to ensure My wake doesn't affect their session. If I'm following a skier or footer, then their wake doesn't affect mine anyway. To me (being one who enjoys all water sports) there's an unwritten "pecking order" for calm water. 1. Barefoot, 2. Slalom, 3. wakeboard, 4. kneeboard, 5. Air Chair (sky ski), 6. Surf, 7. Everything else is not as "water/calm" dependent and can be lumped together.

Tuber's actually enjoy the rough water and I've seen them follow me while I was surfing just to pull their tuber's through our wake. If the driver really knew what they were doing the could actually produce the same effect (launch your rider straight up in the air 5-10 feet) with the right angle donut with a cut through the center while the tube is outside the wake.

So for anyone out there, I'd ask, look at the order above and tell yourself. If I was ... (insert sport here), would I be really upset at the person doing (insert other sport here). If you would be, remember that next time you're on the lake. If you see another boat doing something wrong and have the opportunity to say something about it in a calm and civilized manor, do it.

I think 90 percent of the erosion on our lake is due to tubers. At least. I was there for two weeks running this last time and saw 2 boats surfing. Ours and a supra. We will get blamed of course.

• Like 1

I pull my kids 2-6 years old our ski cove only if no boarders/skiers are there just because its safer. When we pull the older kids that want to be rocked we stay in channel like all others should. We also surf in the channel if its not too rough.

My biggest gripe is when don't yield to boats with people in tow. If I am driving without rider I alway idle down when passing others that are towing especially while in coves or tight channels.

I like that my kids are getting more into wakesledding, kneeboarding, and wakeboarding. I will say the nice thing about tubing with a lot of young kids, is that 3-4 kids get to go at a time, instead waiting for 3-4 kids to each take their turn.

I agree completely I love wakeboarding & tubing but I think tubing takes much more effort.

tubers like calm water too, I dont know how the new malibu's ride but dang that rough water kills you on my old as dirt '89 malibu. I'd be looking for a calm section of water to pull tubers as well..

I don't have a problem with tubers, I have a problem when the people towing them do not pay attention and or do not know what they are doing when pulling tubers.

I don't think it's a matter of who makes the water worse, but it's the brain cells that seem to be lost by attaching a tube to the back of your boat. I see more tube drivers looking at their riders to make sure they're having fun, than scanning the water in front of them.

Being an ex-professional tubing champion, I think I have a pretty unbiased opinion.

Look at all aspects of tubing:

1. power grip

2. tube control

3. body positioning

4. last minute decision making

5. loading the rope

These are 5 key aspects that my coach, Patches O'houlihan, taught me. If it weren't for a freak low pressure tube situation, I would still be riding today and not wakeboarding. Tubing takes just as much, if not more ability than any other watersport out there!!!!

I guess my point is, don't hate on the tubers. Remember our "Nation Tubing Association" motto....

"if you fall off the tube, wave your hand in the air like you just don't care so that your driver can rush back at high speeds to get you!"

VIVA LA "POWER TURNS"!!!!!!!!

:dontknow:

Is it necessary that I drink my own urine? No. But it's sterile and I like the taste.

• Like 2

I see a little bit of irony here - skiers (myself included (and I surf as well)) generally feel the same way about surfers messing up their water. Like SurfgateBob says "you don't really need the best water to surf..."

You don't really need the best water to surf, though... and they probably wanted to get air off of your wake.

I hate tubers as much as anyone, but I can see why they like you. They're likes moths to light.

Yall are missing the point, the whole lake was glass friends. and completely empty. Moths on a light for sure.

My issues with tubers and jet skis you never know what direction they are going in the next second. Skiers boarders surfers bare footers fishermen most any one else you have an educated guess.

• Like 3

Amen to that, Six.

Can you imagine if the random jetski type rider gets a hold of one of those new Flyboards?? :Doh:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Amen to that, Six.

Can you imagine if the random jetski type rider gets a hold of one of those new Flyboards?? :Doh:

Would love to see that! They will wrap the driver in the tube and knock them off! At least they can't go fast while flyboarding. :)

Just had to chime in on this one.

Like most of you, I have been around boats for over 25yrs. I foot, ski, board, and even kneeboard occasionally. I also tow my kids on a tube. We love it. We also adhere to the rights of others and stay away from any and all boaters. With an educated driver who is aware of others using the lake, river, or other water way, we all can enjoy it. I have also seen my share of boaters who pull up their boarder when I'm pulling a skier - some people just don't get it - even when we have to overtake them (CA Delta waterways) and then they give us the one fingered salute. As mentioned above, I also will stop when I approach another boat ready to pull out with a boarder/skier - it's just the right thing to do and I also explain to my kids why. Hopefully, they will operate with the same consideration and promote safety. With that said, I still highly dislike all who ride the water knats (jet skis). Once they get on them, it seems their brains shut off. Very unpredictable and mostly unsafe and most are novice riders on a 50+ mph water bike. Thanks for letting me vent.

Yall are missing the point, the whole lake was glass friends. and completely empty. Moths on a light for sure.

My wife usually looks at tubers and makes a stabbing motion at them. At 5'5" she is very intimidating.

• Like 1