Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Newbie wakeboarding tips

swatmedic

Just bought my first boat 2003 Malibu Sportster LX. I grew up doing water sports, my wife however didn't. I have passed on what tips I know to her but I was looking for more advise from the forum that may help her. She attempted wakeboarding today for the first time and was able to get up successfully 1 time for about 2 seconds. She had a problem with the rope slipping out of her hands. Don't know if that is my fault with the throttle or what. Any advise would be helpful. This is the first time I have pulled someone with a true ski boat. Is there any different things I need to do vs and I/O. We are using a tower don't know if that makes a difference. Thanks guys and I am in love with these forums.

If the rope is slipping out of her hands, make sure you're accelerating, but keeping it constant up to (or a little above) 20 then you may drop down to desired speed 18-23 or if using perfect pass just accelerate to around 25 and leave it.

for her, when she's getting up it sounds like she might be using straight arms. because as the boat pulls you if you let your arms straighten then you're very susceptible to let go before pinching your fingers on the board. make sure when she's sitting in the water that she keeps her arms cocked and held in close to her body. this way as the boat tries to pull it away from her, she doesn't give slack in her forward progression. because as she's getting pulled up if she straightens her arms that distances her from the boat even more (very slightly) but will cause her to sink and when you're a newbie trying to get up on a wakeboard and sinking you almost always tend to just let go anyway as the force against you becomes greater. so if she doesn't straighten her arms the gradual rise and release of the water under the board just becomes easier sooner and she's on top of the water instead!

I would say the opposite. She needs to start with straight arms, knees to her chest, head and shoulders forward, toes forward, let the boat pull her up/she can't try to stand up before she's already above water. This puts her in a solid position that gets above the water with minimal effort on her part. Once she is above water she can then worry about turning the board and biasing her weight to her back foot.

If the rope is slipping out of her hands, make sure you're accelerating, but keeping it constant up to (or a little above) 20 then you may drop down to desired speed 18-23 or if using perfect pass just accelerate to around 25 and leave it.

for her, when she's getting up it sounds like she might be using straight arms. because as the boat pulls you if you let your arms straighten then you're very susceptible to let go before pinching your fingers on the board. make sure when she's sitting in the water that she keeps her arms cocked and held in close to her body. this way as the boat tries to pull it away from her, she doesn't give slack in her forward progression. because as she's getting pulled up if she straightens her arms that distances her from the boat even more (very slightly) but will cause her to sink and when you're a newbie trying to get up on a wakeboard and sinking you almost always tend to just let go anyway as the force against you becomes greater. so if she doesn't straighten her arms the gradual rise and release of the water under the board just becomes easier sooner and she's on top of the water instead!

I would advise exactly the opposite of this. Start with arms straight, keep them that way.

when getting up, cause whenever I'm having problems with beginners I do what I explained!

but OP don't let me give you bad info! ahh, maybe I just explain it a different way to people out on the water, I have success with it,. :innocent:

thanks for correcting me guys

EDIT: could it be a lot of the people I'm trying to get up on a wakeboard that can't are good skiers? maybe that's why I say it the way I do.

Edited by mnhays

Thanks for the reaponse guys. We will try these tips when we get a chance to get back on the water. She is eager to learn and I want her to be able to enjoy these sports as well.

I would agreed with the straight arms approach. As well my wife had a similar issue for years and what really helped her was to make sure that as the boat pulls allow the board to come into her. Basically become the smallest ball you can be by allowing your knees and heels to come into you so that you are essentially squatting on the board. When that happens your center of gravity is very close to the board and you will no longer be pulled over the top of the board. The board will now get on top of the water very quickly and only after the board is on top she can stand up. Small ball with knees and heels in is what I tell my newbies and it works like a charm! Good luck!