Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine No Go

Usual routine - the eldest lad sits behind the wheel; I back the trailer in, unhitch & push the boat off. The lad cranks the key and there is no bark from the Hammie. Major problem because the boat is now well off shore in 30 feet of water, it's cold and I don't want to swim out to it.

What can you see? The gas tank says empty (rubbish, I just spent $200.00 filling it). Any other gauges working? No.

I remembered that once before this had happened and I finally worked out that the lanyard had been dislodged. This time the lanyard is correctly in place.

Pull the lanyard out and reinsert it into the switch and the beast barks a healthy V8 growl again. FYI.

Could be your lanyard switch is right on the cusp of on vs. off. Try bending your layard plastic thingy so it is a little thicker and therefore will keep the switch out a little farther and hopefully passed the on/off toggle point.

I learned the hard way years ago, never push your boat off the trailer until you are sure it will start. Even the finest of boats can have technical difficulties.

Edited by MIKEGOUGH1

Try sticking a coin under the lanyard switch to help depress the switch farther. The plastic gets fatigued and loses some its force on the switch.

I bypassed my lanyard switch after getting stuck floating in the middle of the night. I never used it and never will.

We backed the trailer in, she started right up, backed off the trailer ... and off went the truck and trailer. The boat then died and refused to re-start.

/Steve

I second the comment about checking the lanyard connectors on the back side of the switch. That and you should be able to fire the rig before backing her off the trailer, saving you a swim should she not cooperate. :)

I bypassed my lanyard switch after getting stuck floating in the middle of the night. I never used it and never will.

I'm with you. I swapped the wires so the the engine will crank with no fatigued plastic thing in place. Why bother, no one uses it.

Edited by Pistol Pete

I actually swapped the wires on the back of the switch so that contact is made when the lanyard is removed. The only time this has been a problem was when the dealer stuck a lanyard in it and couldn't get it started. They finally figured it out :-).

/Steve

I'm with you. I swapped the wires so the the engine will crank with no fatigued plastic thing in place. Why bother, no one uses it.

Yeah,

That's what I did. Funny story about the dealer.

I know a guy with a ski centurion who brought it to the dealer for some work. They couldn't figure out why the engine wouldn't crank. I think they spent like half the day trying to diagnose it when the owner asked them if they had put the lanyard in? they hadn't.

I swapped the wires on my '97 Echelon after owning it for a few years and got tired of the lanyard coil hitting my knee. First thing I did when I got my SLxi is swap the lanyard wires and put the lanyard in the glove box.