Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Gate - My experience - not impressed.

JustinOSU

Amazed this thread is still going...................is the horse dead yet?

Simple fact is the SG works and when properly weighted will throw really good waves. Not having to list the boat to the rubrail is definitely a plus but I'm sure not everyone sees the value in that. The ability to switch sides really quick is definitely a plus when you have a mix crew. Switching side to side mid-ride is still a bit gimicky IMO and a fairly small percentage of riders can pull it off and the majority of riders won't even come close in pulling it off in their lifetime. In 20 years when surfing side to side become the norm like wake to wake................maybe.

The SG upgrade cost for Bu owners is at least about $15-20k and goes up from there no matter how you look at it since they don't offer upgrade kit even on 2012 model. The fact that the 2013 boat is basically the same boat as 2012 is probably what bugs most people but hey more power to Malibu for pulling it off. At least Nautique offers the NSS upgrade kit for 2012 boats.

I ride two different phase 5 skim boards. I prefer gated wakes even though I have never liked "big foam core directional boards", and ride boards that are about as far from those as possible. I am not sure what you mean by a fast, firm poppy wake. The gated wake starts out generally less steep, but is adjustable for steepness and length with the wedge, speed and bow weighting. The gated wake on my boat has more push, farther back than the similarly leaned wake, other factors all being the same. Some people might prefer a steeper wake, but I would personally disagree with a generalization that gated wakes are only better for people riding big slow boards.

I do love these "what's the best 3ft wave boat" threads. Honestly until a boat puts out a 6ft overhead barrel, that's about it; 2-3ft waves. Some better than others.

When a boat puts out a wave like this one I had last Friday, my VLX will be for sale.

null_zps64dcd69c.jpg

Edited by kayakwv
  • Like 2

Although... for those of us whose spouses would never in a million years consider being at the helm of a slammed and listed boat, I can see the appeal.... even weighting might be a huge practical gamechanger if you won't list your boat to the rubrail and beyond.

The main reason why a SG VLX is in my very near future.

Love these "what's the best 3ft wave boat" threads. Honestly until a boat puts out a 6ft overhead barrel, that's about it; 2-3ft waves. Some better than others.

When a boat puts out a wave like this one I had last Friday, my VLX will be for sale.

null_zps64dcd69c.jpg

While that would be great, it is only a few of the crew that actually live on the Ocean and have waves like that they can surf. I am at least 12 hours from the nearest surfable coast. This malkes my wave the little VTX throw pretty appealing. (SG or no SG)

While that would be great, it is only a few of the crew that actually live on the Ocean and have waves like that they can surf. I am at least 12 hours from the nearest surfable coast. This malkes my wave the little VTX throw pretty appealing. (SG or no SG)

Edited by Malibuzer

Pretty sure I never said or even alluded to a competition level wake. I don't see that behind my own boat, nor do I expect it or need it. I simply wanted to point out end user error by the OP.

I shouldn't try to do this on my phone. I asked that question to malibudog.

Edited by Ruffdog

That's why I bought at VLX. Loved surfing since I was 12; family lives in Cocoa Bch; but i now live 8hrs from the nearest break.

But one day, I saw wakesurfing on YouTube....and voila...I had to get a wakeboat...and fat sacs..and new boards; you know the rest.

I do love these "what's the best 3ft wave boat" threads. Honestly until a boat puts out a 6ft overhead barrel, that's about it; 2-3ft waves. Some better than others.

When a boat puts out a wave like this one I had last Friday, my VLX will be for sale. null_zps64dcd69c.jpg

Perspective right.

Well, if any manufacturer can actually come up with a boat that throws 6ft break, wakesurfing will be banned from 99% all lakes guaranteed. Imagine the destruction to those lake side cabins.

• Like 2

Bingo! Well said. These are the only two reasons I upgraded. If you expect more you'll be disappointed.

Totally get what your saying. For me it's no biggie- I switch over all the time for my goofy wife. It's all time on the water. Listing.... No prob once you get the driving down.

I think we should take the 4 Soulcraft boards we have among the 3 of us and see what SG is all about behind IXFE's boat!!!!

I want a chance to ride that 4'8" again btw...

null_zps64dcd69c.jpg

I can see two things better about boat wave than your wave last Friday.

1) It looks like your ride was at best 20 seconds long. Boat waves last until your legs go dead.

2) It looks like that wave closed out just a few seconds after takeoff. The only time you'll get a wave to close out behind a boat is, if you don’t make the transfer before the surf gate switches!!

Extra points for boat waves!!

No sharks and no paddling!! :surprised:

What I mean by fast, firm & poppy is a wave that feels firm under feet..... One that allows you to keep your speed all the way to the top of the wave (and off the top of the wave) by simply taking one pump or dig one edge in INSTEAD of having to take a washout half-turn or build a bunch of speed down the line in order to make one proper turn. The videos I've seen are jam packed with washout top turns..... An indication that the riders can't keep their speed to the top of the wave.

Also, 'push' does not equal wave 'speed' or 'firmness'. I've rode a few MC waves that had plenty of 'push' but were so soft you'd have to ride a giant board for that push to do any good. A comparison would be the waves at Waikiki. Those small waves have tons of push.... But are really slow and mushy: epic for long boarding ... Not good for short boarders looking to air off the top or take turns.

Anyway, I'm not saying this is all SG is capable of... Just that this is what I've seen so far and what my 1 very limited ride behind SG was like.

Wake snob is too demeaning. -BS- you are like a wake sommelier.

What I mean by fast, firm & poppy is a wave that feels firm under feet..... One that allows you to keep your speed all the way to the top of the wave (and off the top of the wave) by simply taking one pump or dig one edge in INSTEAD of having to take a washout half-turn or build a bunch of speed down the line in order to make one proper turn. The videos I've seen are jam packed with washout top turns..... An indication that the riders can't keep their speed to the top of the wave.

Also, 'push' does not equal wave 'speed' or 'firmness'. I've rode a few MC waves that had plenty of 'push' but were so soft you'd have to ride a giant board for that push to do any good. A comparison would be the waves at Waikiki. Those small waves have tons of push.... But are really slow and mushy: epic for long boarding ... Not good for short boarders looking to air off the top or take turns.

Anyway, I'm not saying this is all SG is capable of... Just that this is what I've seen so far and what my 1 very limited ride behind SG was like.

Small hijack...how do you achieve 'firmness'? (and I'm not trying to be funny)

I can see two things better about boat wave than your wave last Friday.

1) It looks like your ride was at best 20 seconds long. Boat waves last until your legs go dead.

2) It looks like that wave closed out just a few seconds after takeoff. The only time you'll get a wave to close out behind a boat is, if you don’t make the transfer before the surf gate switches!!

Extra points for boat waves!!

No sharks and no paddling!! :surprised:

On the other hand, the surfboard cost me $500 and the waves are free. A Surf Boat cost me $50,000, and the waves cost $100+ tank of gas. Just a couple extra zeros...but who's counting when you're having fun. :surfing:

I think we should take the 4 Soulcraft boards we have among the 3 of us and see what SG is all about behind IXFE's boat!!!!

Okay, it's on! I like this idea. I'm game. Skurfer, -BS-, Bobby, Ruffdog and any other Oregonians willing to come to my spot in Newberg. I'll hit up some other locals (e.g. Tyler, Brian, Mike, etc.). Bring extra sacks and we can see test many different configs (using stock + PnP as a baseline). I'll have the GoPro running too. Maybe somebody can do a cool video edit to share with the Crew (I suck at video editing).

I'm thinking a week night... probably July 29th, 30th, or 31st.

In addition to the Soulcraft sticks I have a new Parks Thruster 5'1" which I'm liking as well.

I'm serious about this. PM me if you have a preference on those evenings. Also leave me your cell numbers so we can text (more efficient).

Wifey and kiddos are out of town those days so I was gonna be sitting around anyway. :whistle:

photo-2.jpg

• Like 1

Now we're talking. 'Wake the World' event at Foster Lake all day on the 29th. We will be there. Tyler and others went last year. Not sure if they are going again this year. You have to work?

Whole gang will be up at Foster, including I. But I'm game. It's a treck to Newberg for me, but with some notice I can probably make it happen. What ever the majority decides is cool wit me, but 10 dudes in a VLX is A LOTA suasage. Don't think we need more sack if everyone shows up.

Here are some surf gate pics taken this weekend. IMO its a great product, but I'm a newbie to Malibu, but have had 2 other boat and filling and listing the boat was a PIA.

Stock ballast plus 5 guys, two girls, extra 750 in port locker, 400 (only because we did not have a second 750) in starboard locker and 520 in bow. Monsoon 350 with 2313 prop, speed at 10.0-10.4, could surf back about 18 feet off swim platform... Wave was firm and long. For the cost of the surf gate ($2,600), IMO it ia well worth it.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Surf%20pics%207-13%20and%207-14

Edited by BlackBluMalibu