Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

MTC Freezing up

Hey guys, I have a 2011 Wakesetter VLX not under warrant anymore with 45 hours on it. The boat overall is amazing but the MTC frequently (at least once every time I go out) will become unresponsive to the touch. Whereby I then just do a full reset and it works fine again. Does anyone have any ideas on that exact part I need to replace to get this problem fixed?

Thanks

Ryan

Why is your boat no longer under warranty? Should be 3 years on that? In either case, it was my understanding anyone with an MTC issue from 2011 would be warranteed. Call your dealer.

Ya call your dealer :rofl:

IIRC the warranty will transfer from US to Can. You do have to pay a fee to transfer from one owner to the next though.

Edited by TrickyNicky

call malibu directly if that doesnt work call medallion they can most likely help you

Funny thing, no mention of Malibu on their site...

So I called Malibu directly and they told me there was nothing they could do for me because I was in Canada... I explained to them that the boat had 13 hrs on it when this was happening and certainly was not something I caused... They said I would have to take it to a Malibu dealer locally and pay full price to have it fixed. Awesome!

call malibu directly if that doesnt work call medallion they can most likely help you

Funny thing, no mention of Malibu on their site...

So I called Malibu directly and they told me there was nothing they could do for me because I was in Canada... I explained to them that the boat had 13 hrs on it when this was happening and certainly was not something I caused... They said I would have to take it to a Malibu dealer locally and pay full price to have it fixed. Awesome!

sounds like you did the same thing i did i bought mine in fla and brought it north.

sounds like you did the same thing i did i bought mine in fla and brought it north.

Sucks saving 20k eh! It's unfortunate that were expected to pay a ridiculous premium or get no customer service. If an individual consumer can get a boat here legitimately and save 20k than I'm sure malibu could too.

I'm having exactly the same problems right now and am on the current version of the firmware. My dealer has ordered a new MTC to swap it out, but while waiting I'm playing around with it in hopes of being able to reproduce the issue at will.

I haven't been able to get back out to the boat in a week to test this, but while thinking through during my down time I think it's happening after turning the heater on so my current theory is that a low voltage situation is occuring when the heater is started up that is causing it. We'll see.

Mike

Good luck with the fix. I had this issue back in 2010 whenever I picked up my LSV. Scott Frye from Medallion drove down to Indy to check the issue and ended up swapping out the unit. Since then, I have not had an issue with the unit. Have you price checked what a new unit would cost? Also, it is an easy swap if you want to save yourself some money in labor.

Good luck with the fix. I had this issue back in 2010 whenever I picked up my LSV. Scott Frye from Medallion drove down to Indy to check the issue and ended up swapping out the unit. Since then, I have not had an issue with the unit. Have you price checked what a new unit would cost? Also, it is an easy swap if you want to save yourself some money in labor.

Thanks for that! I just got an email from Scott Frye yesterday and (for now) he has sent me replacement software for the Maliview and the MTC. I'm going to try that today to reinstall those to at least scratch that off the list of options. After that I'll have no choice but to go deeper. Do you think it's most likely the screen itself? Is that what most people are reporting?

Ryan

Thanks for that! I just got an email from Scott Frye yesterday and (for now) he has sent me replacement software for the Maliview and the MTC. I'm going to try that today to reinstall those to at least scratch that off the list of options. After that I'll have no choice but to go deeper. Do you think it's most likely the screen itself? Is that what most people are reporting?

Ryan

I have heard a mixture of things from software glitches to boards going bad. If you have low voltage, then a software refresh might fix the issue. That is only a matter of opinion so don't take it as factual.

Here is a

of what my screen was doing and I had good voltage.

Ryan

I just updated the software and unfortunately it's doing the same thing... frustrating! I'm trying to get a replacement screen at the moment, I'll let ch'all know how I make out!

Ryan

• 3 weeks later...

The dealer swapped mine out earlier this week. Only been out once since, but so far so good.

Two days leading up to the swap the boat completely shut down three separate times. This was new behavior that I hadn't seen yet. Once while I was just idling waiting for someone to get ready to go. Once while cruising slow-no-wake. And once while cruising along ~30mph. In all three instances the engine died, the display showed "Ignition Off" for a second and then all gauges and the MTC shutdown even though the master power light was still lit up. Hitting master power to shut it down and again to turn everything back on corrected the issue all three times. Until this point it was only the MTC that locked up.

We'll see if the swap resolved both issues.

Mike

Edited by mlange

Hi, I have had the same problem from the start on my new 2012 VTX. Make sure you have the new software, v3, and be aware of voltage drops. I have had a new screen put in by the dealer which created new problems......screen goes black with a fat white line and the emergency key start won't even work. Does anyone ever just want some plain switches and a key back!!

Good luck.

I just updated the software and unfortunately it's doing the same thing... frustrating! I'm trying to get a replacement screen at the moment, I'll let ch'all know how I make out!

Ryan

Ryan,

I had the same issue on my 2011, at 62 hours they replaced the MTC and it never glitched again (sold it with 253). My dealer said the first gen's had a few glitches in them, more than likely you will need to replace the MTC. Its super simple to do, if you contact your dealer maybe they can get you a better price/at cost seeing as you should still be in the warranty (even though you are not because you purchased from the states).

Good luck...

Emergency key start!?!?! Lucky bastard! No such thing on my 2011 VLX

Contact Peter at Smoothwater sports, he makes a remote start plug-in for 2011 owners. It will plug into the wiring harness and get you going again if you ever had a catastrophic failure of the MTC. As you know in 2012 they added a keyed backup ignition because of this.