Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Alot of water in the boat!

I think this could be the HDS box I filled the boat with water and a very high drip rate of water coming from where the prop leaves the boat. Does anyone believe it could be anything other than the bad HDS box, it looked to be coming out from the front of where the axle meets the HDS box. I have a video of it, anyone know how to add the video? I have checked out the Everglass ski lake shaft log write up, and I will probally attempt that unless anyone has any other idea... Thanks.

Did you fill the bilge over the height of the shaft packing? Have you checked the drip rate of the packing while in idle, in gear?

HDS failures are not that common unless you've had a recent prop strike.

-Chris

If the drip is coming from the nut, then try to tighten the nut a little or replace the packing first before messing with the HDS box to see if that fixes it. It is a much easier job.

OP, if I read you correctly you put a hose in the boat and turned it on. Then saw water coming out the drive shaft cut-out. I would say yes to an HDS leak. Search the forum for HDS repair and you'll find a number of threads on how to make repairs.

OP, if I read you correctly you put a hose in the boat and turned it on. Then saw water coming out the drive shaft cut-out. I would say yes to an HDS leak. Search the forum for HDS repair and you'll find a number of threads on how to make repairs.

Or if you fill the boat the water over the packing water will leak out the packing and not the HDS.

Alot of places water could be coming from, Pitot tubes, engine, packing, rub rail, these are far more common than an HDS leak.

Or if you fill the boat the water over the packing water will leak out the packing and not the HDS.

Alot of places water could be coming from, Pitot tubes, engine, packing, rub rail, these are far more common than an HDS leak.

To the rub rail. I didn't mean that full. Lol

I filled the boat and water came out direclty where the hole is under the axle shaft.

And you made sure not to fill it over the packing nut? What 99 said is true, if you fill it too high (above the packing) the water will simply leak back out through the packing & look exactly like an HDS leak. When testing for that, you need to be careful of your water level in the boat.

• 4 weeks later...

I just fiberglassed the HD box and seems to be so much better! I am getting some water on the carpet by the rear of the boat maybe under the gas tank now

I have a 99 response. This forum diagnosed my HDS leak. I took it to a dealer, the didn't believe that it could be it. I enlisted my bro-in-law to dig into it for me, and sure enough there was a crack in that box. He fiberglassed it, and I have not had any problems since. I would get tons of water in the bilge, and I was pumping every 5-10 minutes. If you have questions regarding this box and want to talk to someone who spent an entire summer trying to diagnose it...I am your guy. Let me know. We can exchange numbers and talk.

• Like 1