Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine/Transmission Knocking Sound With Video!

Hello everyone. I have been troubleshooting my issue for some time now and i could use some feedback. I have a 2002 Wakesetter VLX with the 350 monsoon, ZF hurth tranny, and Walters V-Drive with 620 hours. Engine has been freshly rebuilt due to heavy overheating from the previous owner. (block, rods, rings, valves, heads etc). After the rebuild, engine seems to be running very smoothly yet there is a knocking sound when idling in gear, coming from where it seems to be the engine and tranny coming together. I had placed my hand on the transmission when the knocking occurred and it felt like thats where it was coming from. Even though I'm aware noise and vibration can travel a good distance. Damper plate seemed to be looking good when the motor was out. The knock is inconsistent and not fast paced. Im getting approximately five heavy noticeable knocks within a 30 second period in the video link below. Anyone heard a knock like this or have any input? its definently not ok to be on the water with this for it is very noticeable. My next move would be to dig into the transmission but any feedback would be great first before the money is spent. Drive? Prop? I hope im over thinking and its something simple. Thanks everyone, its driving me nuts having a fresh motor and not being able to put any hours on it.

Anybody have any idea or experience of this knock? Spent the good half of the day digging around with a fake-a-lake running and I'm stumped...

True Falko. It sounds as if it is to heavy a knock to be the damper plate, but I guess it could be. I don't know what would be knocking like that in the transmission. It pops into gear smoothly, and then the knock begins while idling in gear. About every 5 seconds. Was already thinking of upgrading to a new damper plate, and think I'm going to now.

Go to your auto psrts store and get you a mechanics stethoscope. You hold the metal rod against different parts of your engine or tranny to isolate your knock. You can use a paper tube but its not as effective and it doesnf make you look like a doctor.

Just dont put it or your head onto a rotating part.

Anyone think that a transmission could be making this noise? Hope I don't have to dig in there. New Damper Plate is being installed this weekend, anything Else I should be checking into while the motor is out? I'm up for suggestions, thanks.

I had a knocking/clicking noise only when in gear that was very precise to the speed of the engine. I could hear also the noise by powering off and turning prop by hand. I ended up taking to repair shop. Turned out 2 teeth in the Vdrive broke off. Luckily, Insurance covered it as a bottom hit.

• 1 month later...

Anyone think that a transmission could be making this noise? Hope I don't have to dig in there. New Damper Plate is being installed this weekend, anything Else I should be checking into while the motor is out? I'm up for suggestions, thanks.

Hey Bosstic,

Any update after you replaced the damper plate. I believe I have the identical issue. My boat also had a lot of high temps lately so also trying to problem solve before spending cash.

Cheers