Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ran out of luck

Sixball

Got nailed by the DNR tonight, skiing without a spotter. I spotted them like 1/4 mile out but they saw me drop the skier. Well we have been doing it for a lot of years so no big surprise. Just kills me as the only times we have ever had problems is when we have spotters. They are to occupied and talking with each other. I bet its going to cost $150 $200 some thing in that area. Misdemeanor, no points on drivers license.

Oh well. Sorry dude but no way I would ever ski without a spotter.

Never ski when lake has traffic. I have no problem. Like I said the only two times we have ever had problems was with spotters and the lake was not heavy traffic but heaver then we ski with without a spotter.

Better to run out of luck with the law than when you had an injury and needed the extra pair of hands onboard.

I know you ski right off your dock but I get nervous without a third adult. I've had our 10 year old spot, but it's not ideal in my mind. I've had to turn off the boat and jump in after a skier when I was much younger. Luckily the spotter we had knew how to operate the boat and kept it from drifting away.

Sorry to hear anyway.

• Like 1
MalibuNation

Our water only has one boat cop (Ranger), and I always just check to see if his boat is in the boathouse before riding without a spotter.

:plus1:

I hate to admit it but I've used my too young son and no spotter on several occasions. Our town has spent themselves into a huge hole, so PB&J aren't out during the week and rarely on weekends.

Sorry to hear that.

I learned something new this week...we got pulled over for having the docking light on while in motion and not in the act of docking. Was told it interferes with the bow navigational light and being able to see the colors. I explained to him that I had turned them on as the lake was pitch dark and thought I had seen something in the water. He said makes sense, them proceeded to conduct a safety inspection.

Edited by srintx

Sorry man.

I see jetskis especially pulling tubes, skiers, and wakeboarders with no spotter all the time. Here a spotter is required unless you have a convex mirror and is only allowed in the boat. I was pulled once (and I mean the first and only time) without a spotter when no one else was on the lake and ended up with a ticket for my driver. 4th of July this year the cops are sitting in the bay watching 5-8 people towing on jetskis with no spotter and did not stop a one. Not that I wish ill upon others it just doesn't seem right that no one got stopped breaking the law.

1. Get yourself a mannequin torso and put a wig and clothes on it.

2. Get a really good trained dog. Have a friend that his dog does better than most people.

3, You might want to be more careful now since you have been dinged once. They might be looking at you more often. See rule 1. :)

• Like 1

2. Get a really good trained dog. Have a friend that his dog does better than most people.

3, You might want to be more careful now since you have been dinged once. They might be looking at you more often. See rule 1. :)

Rule #1

Have thought about that a few times. Wonder how much more the fine would be if they actually stop you and find out you have a fake spotter.

:unsure:

Can yall post the statutes requiring yall to have spotters? Might be fun to see what, if any, work around there may be. could you face time with someone at home watching the skier? In my state, no spotter required. Good thing. 95% of the time I ski with just one other person.

Mannequin; I have been thinking about doing that.

Dog ; I did that with my last golden he was better then a spotter.

Careful; Yeper....

Just re read the Michigan law for water skiing. It has changed from the last time I looked. No mirror required. spotter required. I was going to challenge with, DNR was picking witch law's to enforce. So many boats pulling without mirror. Oh well I am going to be paying up on this one. :blush:

Spotter on boat. The law as I just looked at does not have a age for the spotter.

Edited by Sixball

Mannequin; I have been thinking about doing that.

Dog ; I did that with my last golden he was better then a spotter.

Careful; Yeper....

Just re read the Michigan law for water skiing. It has changed from the last time I looked. No mirror required. spotter required. I was going to challenge with, DNR was picking witch law's to enforce. So many boats pulling without mirror. Oh well I am going to be paying up on this one. :blush:

Spotter on boat. The law as I just looked at does not have a age for the spotter.

Does it define spotter? Must it be human(dog)? Alive (manequin)? Present (video)? Post the statute

When we used to ski after work during the week, we had to pass the Sheriff's house on the way. If his boat and truck were there we were home free.

Oregon requires a spotter. It is a definite pain as we often have difficulty finding a 3rd. The majority of the times that we are out on the river there are very few to no other boats out and no sheriff ever seen. When they are out, however, they have no qualms about giving out fines. I have never gotten one, but a friend got one a few years ago for not getting his skier down flag up quickly enough. $279 fine.

Interestingly there is not a stated age requirement for the spotter. My daughter's advice she gives to people when asked about what age to have a child start spotting is: when you are confident enough that your child will get the flag up quickly and not get fined.

In Ohio, you must have a spotter that is at least 10 years old. In Tennessee where we now do all our boating, no spotter is required if the boat has a mirror. There is also no spotter required for a PWC in TN as long as it has two mirrors.

In Wi: "When a vessel is towing a person on water skis, a surfboard, or other device, the operator must have another competent person on board to act as an observer."

In Mi: "Every vessel towing a person(s) on water skis, a surfboard, or a similar device must have a person on board, in addition to the vessel operator, observing the towed person(s) at all times."

Wonder if barefooting could win a court. no ski, surfboard or other device. :) hmm Technically barefooting is not allowed in Michigan unless you have a USSG PFD. That doesn't happen to often.