Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pay NOW or Pay Later Your Choice – TUNE UP PARTS

Has anyone replaced their distributor with an aftermarket? I installed a Mallory marine dist in my last boat and ran it for 8 years. The cap and rotor NEVER needed replacing and there were a ton of options for that system. I'm just wondering if going up to a higher quality unit like that wouldn't be better in the long run compared to replacing cap and rotor every year or two. That boat was much simpler than the Malibu I have now, not sure if that type of distributor would work with the electronic controls.

Oh, and great write-up. I used to use Sierra a lot on my boats, but their quality started to suffer over the past years and I walked away from them.

Edited by Falko

With sites like ski dim and others, you can get "the good stuff" at a reasonable price...no need to get low grade auto zone type stuff unless you are in a pinch for a temporary fix.

I swapped my cap, rotor and wires last year. Boat was running fine but they were original...10+ seasons old. There was pretty major wear on cap and rotor...i was probably a few trips away from a tow.

Great post/info!

For me I have had good luck with factory GM stuff. I know the other day I helped out a member here on the board with some Factory GM tune up parts for his boat. Now he is back up and running like a champ.