Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Realistic packing nut adjustment.

Ok guys,

I can acess and adjust my gland nut pretty easy on my 2000 WS VLX. Plenty of room around where I need to get at.

Lately, I've tried to acess the gland nut on a 04 and 05 WS VLX with the ballast pumps mounted right near where I need my wrenches and I can't get on the two nuts for anything. Mad.gif

Who has actually adjusted their's on a late model V-drive and how did you do it? Any special tools? Crow's foot wrench? Magic boat mechanic dust? What?

Dealers, please chime in here.

I have those blasted ballast pumps and valves in the way too. Mad.gif I tried with cannel locks (taped jaws) to no avail.... I was thinking about a crow's foot or make something like a distributer wrench???? I don't think I could get in there with an adjustable (plumber's caliper type) 'crescent' wrench either...

I donnno! I'm in the same ---well---boat. :blush:

Pat

I've got an 05 VLX and have adjusted mine a couple times. It's a tight fit but it can be done using two sink basin wrenches. Go to home depot or orchard. They cost about 9 bucks each. Good luck

Could be a stupid response here but are you sure you have the righty-tighty thing working correctly for you? They may be hard to get at but shouldn't be too hard to loosen.

Sure they will work on the late model muffler bearings but only when there is a measured discontinuity of awareness on the kniddely pin. A lot of people make that mistake.

Ya know what?

I'm just gonna get out my hole relocating tool and put the driveshaft a little to the port side, then I'll have plenty of room.

Could be a stupid response here but are you sure you have the righty-tighty thing working correctly for you? They may be hard to get at but shouldn't be too hard to loosen.

If the packing nuts have never been loosened since they were installed at the factory, they can be very tight. Once you get them broken free, they will be much easier the next time.

I'm sure these two boats have never had the nuts adjusted since they've left the factory.

Anyway, judging by this thread, only one of you guys have actually done the adjustment. (Boarder)

I'm sure these two boats have never had the nuts adjusted since they've left the factory.

Anyway, judging by this thread, only one of you guys have actually done the adjustment. (Boarder)

I adjusted mine on my old 2000 Sunsetter VLX. The dealer had a set of wrenches that were designed for loosening the packing nuts. The first time I needed to adjust them, I took the boat in for service and had them loosen them for me. Next time I launched the boat, I was able to adjust them with two pairs of channel locks.

How much work is it to move the ballast pump out of the way? Sounds like the back seat of a Sportster. They're such a PIA to remove. They must install them to the deck prior to installing the deck to the hull.

Well... they go through the hull... It would get pretty wet, pretty fast, when you're adjusting that packing nut, after pulling the ballast pump out ;)

I've done the adjustment a couple of times with no issues. Of course MY engine was not put in backwards, so that's a help all by itself.

I've done the adjustment a couple of times with no issues. Of course MY engine was not put in backwards, so that's a help all by itself.

Ditto. See, that is the root of the problem. The factory installed your engine backwards. And since you like riding those slaloms with the bindings sideways you just didn't notice until now. Biggrin.gif

[Ditto. See, that is the root of the problem. The factory installed your engine backwards. And since you like riding those slaloms with the bindings sideways you just didn't notice until now. Biggrin.gif

Is that your boat in your avetar, the one with the tower? Must come in handy for ski jumping. Crazy.gif

Pete,

I haven't messed with the VLX yet but my LSV was no easy task, I wound up buying a 1 7/8 open/box end wrench. This wrench was almost two feet long. I cut it off on the open end side with just enough left to wrap my hand around, works great ! I keep at the houseboat if you need it.

Pete,

I haven't messed with the VLX yet but my LSV was no easy task, I wound up buying a 1 7/8 open/box end wrench. This wrench was almost two feet long. I cut it off on the open end side with just enough left to wrap my hand around, works great ! I keep at the houseboat if you need it.

Dear Guy with the book. I have adjusted the packing on the 03 not sure of the difference from 03-05 ( that is under the trans area). But yes its a Bi---ch. I used the adj plumber wrench that we have all talked about be for. I know when looking at it from the inside of the boat the right side is the easiest to get at the nut but what I found is to go on the left side behind the ballist pump to get on the nuts. The other thing is don't worrier about what nut your on just how much you can move the wrench. just remember lefty tighty and righty loosy on the back (closest to the prop) jam nut. Crazy.gif

P.S. Who was the guy that was going to start up his own mobile boat service??? Tease2.gif

P.S. Who was the guy that was going to start up his own mobile boat service???

It's official as of today. Why do you think I'm asking about how you guys have adjusted packing nuts on later model boats than the one I own. Surprised.gif

Mark,

Thanks for the offer. I remembered you saying that. I don't need it for my boat.

Edited by Pistol Pete

Congrats Pete!! I just hope this will not cut into your boating time. I know with all the people you know and the great work you do that the will take off in no time.