Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 MXZ changes

Cdoogles

I noticed a few things on the Malibu Open MXZ's that might be hinting at the 2014 changes....

If you look closely at this photo, you will see board racks without bungees, Metal flake paint on the bow (where you haven't previously been able to get it), and new corner posts on the windshield.....

KEV04222.jpg

Also, in addition to the new graphics discussed in some other forums, it appears there are 5 thru-hulls on the starboard bow. My 2013 has only 4... Not sure why they would add one up there unless they developed a plug and play style system for the bow....

If you zoom in there appears to be a level on the front of the rack, I imagine it ratchets down on the boards when you pull it. That's how the new Tige racks work.

I know the 2014 247 being discussed on another chain has the old racks, but I would be willing to guess that you can get these new racks on it if you order one.....the tower is the same G3 that's been around for a while now.

The bow covers in previous years have been done by a local shop just for the tournament boats, to cover the fatsacks that are hiding up there! Malibu has told me they don't do it in house, but I have no clue if they are changing that.

I love the rack design and hopefully they will rotate in 180 degrees. I just don't understand why the stock racks don't fold all the way in. That ability would be really helpful when parking on boat lift I have ordered one Samson spinner rack to see if I like it. If so I'll order another one.

I love the rack design and hopefully they will rotate in 180 degrees. I just don't understand why the stock racks don't fold all the way in. That ability would be really helpful when parking on boat lift I have ordered one Samson spinner rack to see if I like it. If so I'll order another one.

I really like the Samson racks and have them on my MXZ now. A non-bungee rack is something that I have always really wanted though, and I really wish Samson had come up with one of those. I imagine these will be much more expensive than the old style though since there are definitely more parts and machining time in making them.

I hate to say it but I do like racks that Mastercraft uses. They simply clamp down on the boards and yes they rotate in 180 degrees. Even at $1,000 this ought to be a standard capability. Time for Malibu to get on board.

If you zoom in there appears to be a level on the front of the rack, I imagine it ratchets down on the boards when you pull it. That's how the new Tige racks work.

They look to be the same PTM racks tige uses, my buddy has them on his RZ2. He paid 2k a piece for them, not worth it in my opinion. I know they are an option, but I've yet to see a pair that would make me pay 4k for racks. My bungee ones are less work and I know when they are closed.

Edited by CJAY

2k a piece while surfgate is what, 4k option?

That's what tige charged, not sure what bu will. Won't be cheap though and IMO not worth it after seeing them in action. Bungees work just as well

As ridiculous as 2k a rack seems, on an upgrade for a new boat to pay an extra 1k a rack I think I would do it. I just absolutely hate the bungees and they trash my surfboard.

As ridiculous as 2k a rack seems, on an upgrade for a new boat to pay an extra 1k a rack I think I would do it. I just absolutely hate the bungees and they trash my surfboard.

Get surf pockets in your bimini for around $300

Get surf pockets in your bimini for around $300

What bimini? I take every ray of sun I can get, shade would be a ridiculous feature on the water! I've thought of possible surf holding systems on the tower bars but they would interfere with the rope.