Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New to Malibu and need a little advice on a Sunsetter LXi

brad72

Hi all, My wife and I have been looking for a boat for the last 12 months and have found a nice 2002 sunsetter LXi with the efi monsoon motor which ticks all the boxes as a good family boat. We have 2 girls, 10 and 6, and plan to ski, tube, wakeboard etc, not really concentrating on any one discipline.

If anyone can help me I have a couple of question that I haven't found in my forums searching

- is there anything I should watch out for specific to this model when I go for the test drive on the weekend, except the standard stuff like vibrations, milky oil, engine compression etc

- also, the boat is fitted with a tower but not a wedge so that is something I would like to add down the track as the girls progress and want more wake. Is it as easy as buying a floating wedge and bracket, removing the fuel tank, drilling and sealing the holes through the transom and installing the bracket?

Thanks for any help

Brad

Edited by brad72

Check for a leaking HDS. Do a google search for HDS leak or HDS repair and I'm sure it will direct you straight to this site and a thread detailing the issue.

Wedge install shouldn't be too difficult on that boat, but there's a good chance you'll need to remove the fuel tank to get at it. Also, that model was discontinued before the floating wedge was offered. It shouldn't make a difference but with the transom overhang on the LXi, I'd double check that it will fit properly. Otherwise, old two-position wedge is the way to go.

• Like 2

And the cost of the wedge install may have to include dealer installation. I know for sure on the floating wedge dealers would not sell the mounting set - it had to be dealer installed.

Thanks for the info guys. Looked up the HDS, an interesting system indeed to keep noise down and see they still use in the newer models also.

Not sure if I will need to install a wedge or not for social riding as I have no idea of the wake size when going slower so maybe just plumbing in some ballast into the rear and front lockers would suffice?

Edited by brad72
  • 2 weeks later...

Looked at the boat and it is in imaculate condition. Will take it for a test drive in a couple of weeks as it was raining too hard when we looked at it.

Good luck on the test drive! A few things I always do:

1. Push every button and make sure everything works - from the stereo to the running lights, bilge pump, blower, ballast tanks, etc.

2. Once in the water, remove the rear floor section between the engine and the back seat. I think on the Sunsetter it is hinged. That way you can see the HDS box and check for leaks and previous reported. You can also see the shaft packing to see if it is leaking a lot, or just enough. Will give you a good view of the bilge too...it is greasy, dirty and nasty or pretty clean?

3. Keep an eye on engine temp and oil pressure as you drive it. It should run around 160 degrees at normal temp. Oil pressure drops at idle and climbs with throttle applied.

4. The steering wheel should turn very easily...my boat is a 2002 and I just replaced the steering cable on my boat this year...they wear/get cruddy over time. If steering is tight, budget for replacement ($180 parts, $200 labor if you are not a DiY person).

5. Ask for maintenance records - transmission fluid, oil changes, plugs, impeller, fuel filter, cap/rotor are all things that are not expensive to service but it is nice to know when they were changed so you can pick back up at the right interval.

6. Follow your instincts - listen for weird noises that don't sound normal, vibration that don't feel normal, etc. It's a 12 model year old boat so it's not going to be perfect, but if something does not feel right, it probably indicates maintenance or repair is needed

7. Slide under the boat and look at the hull - look for any damage to the hull. Pull on the tracking skegs to make sure they are tight - rudder too. Look at the prop for any signs of damage. Props can be reconditioned for a reasonable fee so a few small imperfections are not deal breakers in my book.

8. Inspect the trailer - bunks look solid? If it has brakes, open the master cylinder cap...fluid in there? Does it look clean? Lights all work? Any rust? Tires cracked or nasty looking? Bearings packed well with grease?

9. Test ski - if you are a skier, boarder, surfer, etc. make sure you get a pull behind it. Do you like the wakes, tracking, etc?

10. If the boat has ballast, fill and drain all the tanks to make sure the pumps work.

Take your time and ask a lot of questions, etc. Have fun!

-- Mike

I had that boat for 10 years, and know it like the back of my hand. For what you are describing, it will serve your family well. It is a great boat.

I never had a problem with the HDS, but my prop was never once removed from the boat and did not have a nick on it, so I never hit anything. I think that is what causes most HDS leaks in these boats.

At WOT with a Monsoon in the SSLXi, you should be looking at 5000 RPM if it is the factory prop...just a litlle 'benchmark' for you for the test drive.

Other than that, my boat never had any real issues in 10 years of ownership....just the normal stuff. Steering cable, fuel pump or two (or three), etc.

Edited by RTS

I cnat respond until OP tells us the location price and phone number for seller :) ...The 99-04 sunsetter lxis are perhaps the best boats in the history of inboards. Absolutely incredible. Will not have the best wakeboard wake but handles like a ferrari, plenty of room, fanatstic ski wake, fantastic lines, just awesomeness.

• Like 3

I cnat respond until OP tells us the location price and phone number for seller :) ...The 99-04 sunsetter lxis are perhaps the best boats in the history of inboards. Absolutely incredible. Will not have the best wakeboard wake but handles like a ferrari, plenty of room, fanatstic ski wake, fantastic lines, just awesomeness.

I'm thinking Australia.

But I agree. I love the SSLXi. What Malibu did to that poor boat in 2005 is a travesty.

• Like 2

+1 This is my first season with mine and I love it. It's big enough for a family of four, handles rough water better than a dedicated ski machine and the slalom wake is great.

Couple things I've noticed on my boat now that I've put some hours on it. The windshield screws are screwed into the fiberglass, not the best design, the holes stripped over the years. I just through bolted them to fix the issue. The throttle on my boat was very loose which caused it to back off in rough water. A properly adjusted cable clamp can fix this. If the boat has the stock stainless CVP prop I'd strongly recommend an ACME 525, it really woke my boat up and improved the slalom wake. Check the blower tubing in the trunk and under the dash, this stuff dries out and cracks over time. The tubing is cheap and it's an important item on the boat.

• Like 2

Thanks so much for the great advice guys. Yep boat is in australia but was imported out of central California.

-Hull is in great condition with no scratches, dents, cracks, but does have one small scuff on the starboard side from storage. The intereior is all in very condition with only a small amount of fading to a few seams on rear of the back ski locker lid. The transom is also lightly oxidized but a light buff will bring that out. Looks like that the part that got the sun on the boat lift. All the swithes work but will check the combination gauge during the test drive. Carpet is great and even the storage nets have not sagged.

-visually inspected the monsoon motor and everything looks fine. I was surprised to see the motor still has the original bar code sticker on the sump so has been well loooked aftter. A compression test is being done this week but the mechanics report says within specfication but did not have any numbers which I would like to know. No visible rust anywhere on the moror bar the normal parts you would expect on the exhaust risers.

- Teak swim deck looks good although is somthing I would strip and redo.

- The Aerial Airborne tower is new so the boat spent it's life as a skiier. This must be why there is no wedge fitted also. I may fabricate one from stainless later on but some balast in the rear and front lockers would probably do.

- A visual inspection of the HDS shows no faults but until she is in the water I will not know. Same goes for the shaft gland. I assume a drip every 5 seconds is something I am looking for.

- Prop is a 4 blade stainless and has a couple of very minor nicks but does not look like it will affect anything. You cannot see them but can feel them running a finger around the blade tips. Not sure if is one of the infamous CPV props or not so if it will change to the acme 525, thanks Timmay

- Vusually the trailer looks great. Hydraulic drum brakes, swing away hitch and new lights / brake hitch assembly to make it compiant in australia.

So all in all we were very impressed with the malibu quality and feel. Even sitting at the helm with the sliding seat and tilting wheels she feels like a sports car and I have never sat in such a comfortable seat. I didn't check if it had pneumatic lumbar support so will look at that during the test drive. Felt nice and roomy and should fit the family and friends well. Lets hope the test drive goes as well and the inition inspection.

Even little things like the pop up navigation lights in the bow and being able to calibrate the left and right speedo pickups were nice little touches. Also the twin batteries with isolation switch was a good touch. However with the isolation if in the "All" position will the alternator have enough grunt to charge both batteires?

If we do purchase the boat the things I will do first are to fit a new impeller, change the gearbox oil and fit a water sperator to the fuel line. Will also look a fitting a custom ballast system but since the kids are only small may wait a year or two. I will also add some trailer inlays so it can be walked on for lanch and recovery. This will also add some stone protection when travelling but we will see how we go.

We would also need to find a cover for boat. I am tempted to sew my own from red sunbrella fabric as custom fit covers in Australia set you back between $1,500 and $2,500. Ouch.

Here's a few pics of the boat in question.

gwye.jpg

7d7s.jpg

6q77.jpg

rzek.jpg

0neo.jpg

Edited by brad72
  • Like 1

WOW you found a beauty!

Not a fan of that tower at all but the rest looks really good. I even like the monochromatic interior. Most had some color in there--at least with piping if not in the stripes.

Edited by jk13

WOW you found a beauty!

Not a fan of that tower at all but the rest looks really good. I even like the monochromatic interior. Most had some color in there--at least with piping if not in the stripes.

I had wondered about the interior as all my searches have red piping or inlays but your right the grey/white intereior does look really good. If it was re-done the interior the vinyl is really good quality and feels nice and thick.

Didn't see it mentioned, check the ski pylon. Make sure the ball bearings still turn smoothly and make sure the pylon doesn't have any play (front to back). All can be fixed but it is something to look at.

Also if it has pitot tubes for the speedometer you might be able to pull the lines off up under the dash and check for water or blow through the tubes to make sure they work and don't have anything stuck in them.

Forgot to add sitting in a vinyl bag it the side pocket was the smoked polycarbonate walk through wind shield which was pleasing to see given how many get lost over the years.

Edited by brad72

Guessing the prop is an OJ Force 4 blade prop. Not a blade slinger, but you'll see a performance improvement with a 3 blade cnc prop from OJ or ACME. Nice boat

Googeous '02 (said in my best Steve Irwin voice), but those registration numbers. I've seen smaller digits on Nimitz-class carriers. :)

When you take it out for a ride, flip the left-right speedo toggle switch back and forth and watch the speedo needle. Unless the speed drops considerably with one (like 50% or more) your pitots are probably fine.

Pneumatic lumbar will be a small black plunger on the bottom left side of the seat. Kindof forget it's there actually.

Edited by UWSkier

but those registration numbers. I've seen smaller digits on Nimitz-class carriers. :)

Hadn't really noticed looking at other parts but your are right they are frickin huge. If I do make the purchase will have to get some of those nice domed rego decals I have seen somewhere in these forums.

Rego stickers in Australia must be 100mm (4") high minimum.

Thanks for the speedo and lumbar info

Edited by brad72
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All, When we went to take her for a test drive the other weekend the fuel pump decided to fail that morning (boat ran the night before) so it just had a new one fitted by the owners mechanic ready for a test drive this weekend. Today I got the mecanic who fitted the fuel pump to do a compression test and one is down a bit as seen below. I know the indmar manual says the lowest must be within 70% of the highest which it is and the mechanic feels that it will come up once run since the boat has been sitting for about 5 months but what what do you guys think about that one cylinder being low?

Forgot to mention the boat has only 130 hours on it and the motor is the efi monsoon

Compression results were: 1 / 200 2 / 200

3 / 195 4 / 200

5 / 190 6 / 165

7 / 195 8 / 200

thanks for your help

Edited by brad72

Looks like a beauty!
I had a '99 with the same color combo with a lil red in the interior...

Wonderful boat.

• As soon as boat goes in water, check packing drip rate as a bench mark for how much water will be in bilge at and of day.
  • My HDS leaked and I never hit anything. -started slow, then a year later the floor was wet after leaving her in overnight. (6" overnight)
  • HDS leaks are usually not able to be seen, the edges of the molded piece are hidden beneath the floor.
  • HDS repairs consist of removing inspection cover, grinding/sanding old sealant and replacing with Plexus? (Malibu supplied my dealer with supplies)
  • If adding ballast to rear locker, isolate the fuel tank from the weight.
  • Recheck compression
  • Write the man a check!

Enjoy!

P

Was that compression test done on a cold or lukewarm motor? I'd agree with Faceplant that it makes sense to run it (hard) for a bit, then re-test.

Thanks for the reply. The test was done at operating temp (via fake a lake though). The owner is a nice guy and has no problem letting us give it a good run which is good.

Edited by brad72

Hi All, When we went to take her for a test drive the other weekend the fuel pump decided to fail that morning (boat ran the night before) so it just had a new one fitted by the owners mechanic ready for a test drive this weekend. Today I got the mecanic who fitted the fuel pump to do a compression test and one is down a bit as seen below. I know the indmar manual says the lowest must be within 70% of the highest which it is and the mechanic feels that it will come up once run since the boat has been sitting for about 5 months but what what do you guys think about that one cylinder being low?

Forgot to mention the boat has only 130 hours on it and the motor is the efi monsoon

Compression results were: 1 / 200 2 / 200

3 / 195 4 / 200

5 / 190 6 / 165

7 / 195 8 / 200

thanks for your help

You could look at a leak down test. You can then tell if its valves rings. I might think you may have a sticky ring and you could run some SeaFoam in the oil and fuel if its a ring it will likely free up. The bottle of SeaFoam tells you what you can mix in the crankcase oil. If carbon on the valve it may clean it also. 130 hrs is low for any problem that is catastrophic. If # 6 was in a valve open condition it could be a weak valve spring. Not A big problem to fix. No big tare down.