Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX Prop testing 1235 vs. 2315

Brett B

Had 12 college students from our church on the boat today. The 2315 prop definitely has the torque needed. With that many people and only partial ballast the surf wave was great. There is definitely a sweet spot for weighing distribution. A couple days ago at Osoyoos we I only had my family and sister's family on the boat and had a hard time finding the sweet spot. The comfortable cruising speed with the 2315 is about 25-28 mph.

Have about 40 hours on the new 2315, all I can say is, WOW.... a nice upgrade from the ACME 1235. Its almost like a motor upgrade, pulls out of the hole so much better.... I pulled up 10 wakeboarders on Friday and it did not miss a beat.... highly recommend for anyone who surfs or wakeboards.... At about 30 mph I am turning around 4,000-4,100 RPM's for cruising....

Ran again today, this time on Banks Lake (love this lake). Only 2 people in the boat with 2315 prop. I got 37.1 mph @ 5400 rpm and WOT. I can only comfortably cruise at 29 mph (@ 4200 rpm). Any faster and I feel like I'm revving the engine too high. I'd really like to cruise @ 35 mph w/o having to breaking 4200 rpm. So, definitely mixed feelings on the 2315. Really pissed at myself for not ordering the LS3.

How much do you suppose I'd lose trading in my VLX after 1 year vs 2 years? I'd probably keep my trailer or at least the pricy rims we got on it.

New boat would include two features I should have ordered LS3 and GPS cruise. The regular cruise on my new VLX is not as good as the cruise on my 08 vRide (don't know why???).

Have you calibrated your speedo with an accurate GPS like a Garmin hand held? If you haven't, chances are you are getting the same top speed I was seeing, just your gauge is reading differently. Mine was pretty far off from the factory and I had to change the settings so that it was accurate at 22 mph.

I cruise at around 30 mph in my boat frequently and don't feel it's hurting the engine at all. Do you boat on a really large lake where the extra speed makes a big difference? Our river is over 5 miles long and crusing end to end at 30 doesn't seem bad at all.

You could also just go back to the 1235 and run a little bit less ballast. I was able to get a great wakeboard wake and surf wave with the 1235, but I don't have surf gate so I just list the boat for surfing.

Edited by Brett B
  • 1 month later...

I have a 13 VLX w/ Diamond Hull and 350 monsoon. We mainly surf, but occasionally slalom ski. Would I be able to run at 30.5-32mph pulling a slalom skier with the 2315?

With the extra PnP weight and a full crew, I am having trouble hitting my cruise setting when surfing with the 1235.

^^^ Good deal. And about 37 mph wide open?

And when the 2315 isnt enough..... there is one left. 2419.

I tested this prop up against a few others, including the 1235. Then I changed my weight configuration just a little bit and added a couple hundred pounds, then tested the 2315. The cup is the only difference between the two and I wish I could re test the 2419 with my set up so I would have a direct comparison to the 2315... however, I think if I remember correctly the 2419 was very smooth and quiet, especially for a 15" prop. I do not know that it would be better on the low end over the 2315 based on my experience with it while sacking out my boat until it was unable to plane. also the diameter x pitch x cup is black magic to me, cup being the most illusive.

I have a 13 VLX w/ Diamond Hull and 350 monsoon. We mainly surf, but occasionally slalom ski. Would I be able to run at 30.5-32mph pulling a slalom skier with the 2315?

With the extra PnP weight and a full crew, I am having trouble hitting my cruise setting when surfing with the 1235.

I think you could, at 32 mph you will be right around 4200 rpms. You will be pushing the motor but for the duration of slalom runs I don't think it would do any harm. Most people can only slamom ski for a short period at a time.