Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Overheat? Engine dies

Hi guys,

Ive searched through posts and have some Ideas just wondering if this has happened to anyone? I was in my 2005 VLX on the lake, after 3 hours of running fine it just died. Hot water came out of the floor by the drivers feet. It would turn over then sputter out and die. It would always crank over but then just die. No alarms came on or warnings. Got the boat towed back to dock and after about an hour I started it again and it ran fine! Drove maybe 15 min on it then put it on the trailer. Any suggestions or advice?

just throwing this out there but the Hot water might be your heater core leaking. But that doesn't help with the engine dying.

Vapor lock maybe on the engine

Is there something I can do to prevent this? the vapor lock. And for the heater how did that happen without me using it etc? Easy fix? Thanks for the replies!

Find the heater hoses that are on the motor and disconnect them. Then buy a hose long enough to reconnect the 2 ports. Make sure the hose is long enough and make sure you keep it away from all moving parts. Or replace the heater.

The heater has water moving through it all the time no matter what. The thing you control in the fan.

if the heater is leaking like it sounds like it would be drawing water from the engine and that would make it over heat , fix the core of the heater or do what malibu2004 said to do.

I'm not sure but it could be a function of the ECM's program to shut the engine down if it does overheat. Did you notice what your temp gauge read when this happened?