Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is it really all about how the boat performs?

bamabonners

My recent MC purchase thread has received some interesting responses. One response that stuck out the most to me was basically that it is really all about the performance of the boat. That got me thinking.... is it really?

I don't think it is. I think that if that were the case, wakeboard boats would just be a hull with one seat and a steering wheel. this would allow the max amount of space for ballast bags.

Truth is, it isn't just about the performance. It is a huge part of it, but we all want a well appointed interior that is both comfortable and funtional. Not to mention the stereo, the lights, the hand wrapped dash, the wheels on the trailer, etc.....

Lets not kid ourselves here, it isn't just about the wake anymore.

• Like 2

Lets not kid ourselves here, it isn't just about the wake anymore.

You are right, but the wake is still vital. There are just ADDITIONAL aspects are are important now, with the wake still being a central focus. If the wake was crap, then a particular model/brand would not be as popular.

Depends on what kind of boater/rider you are. I liked to believe it's all about what is going on about 80' behind the boat. Everything else is fluff.

Before I got married, about all we did was riderideride, day in & day out. After I got married, or at least while I was dating my wife, there were other things going on on the boat. Now it's ridiculous how much booze cruizin & lollygaggin we do on the boat.

All that said, a boat that doesn't perform is a drag to ride behind.

what "performance" do you mean? I value a good wake for skiing and power to pull. But I also value how well the boat performs other tasks like swim island and cruiser.

It's a balance. I have a boat that puts out a world class slalom wake...and I almost never slalom. It's just a sweet looking boat that does everything pretty well.

it's about the wake. I get a euphoria just being out on the water, it's something that really hits me. I don't feel as good when I'm on land, if I'm out on the water, pardon the pun, but I just can go with the flow.

It isn't about the bells and whistles for me, if it was, I'd buy a different boat. Instead I just make the experience of being on the water better, not "the boat" exclusively.

I'm only making what's going on behind the boat better, because as long as what's going on inside the boat is correct, then I don't see how anything else could be a reason for increasing or making your experience better. I don't need a stereo or LED lighting or hand wrapped dash to make me feel better about my boating experience. All I need is a functioning boat with working gauges and a functioning engine to help shape a better wake.

It's all about what's best for you. My wake is a bit less important to me than comfort for my wife and family is at the moment.

I'll likely never buy another boat or get rid of this one unless my son wants it when he gets older. If I ever did the new one will certainly have a better rough water ride and taller seat bases than my current one. That pretty much describes every other boat on the market, though. The X2 and the VTX would both certainly be on my list at that point.

Don't let anyone coming in hot and negative get to you. It's your boat and it's a beauty. If you're happy with it's overall performance (inside and outside) that is all that matters.

Besides, given your track record, there's always next year right? :crazy:

ha ha, this is a funny question. I guess it depends on the boat owner. For ME, the absolutely most important feature of any is the wake at 23 with the handle in my hand. That's my single biggest consideration... what's the experience behind the boat. Second would be surf wake, third would be reliability (though 1,2, and 3 are all very close), fourth would be price/value, and fifth would be "inside the boat" (which is really sort of a cost benefit analysis between price and creature comforts).

So yes, for ME performance is critical. If the boat doesn't perform, it doesn't deserve consideration, no matter how reliable, cheap and comfortable.

That said if you are after a party / tube pulling / hey look at my fancy boat type experience, performance could take a substantial backseat to perceived luxury.

It's a balance.

Likewise for me, it was a balance. I wanted something that could get me out doing all the activities, but that would also be comfortable to sit in and enjoy (oh, and it had to fit into the garage too).

There were a couple of other boats that I looked at that performed as well (if not slightly better) with the wake, but did not feel as comfortable inside.

For everyone the balance is different. Some just want a $100,000 status symbol and don't care about wakes or interiors (X-80 buyers), some could less about interior appointments (axis buyers), some like a decent balance (tige buyers, etc.). For me, it has and will always be, 100% about the wakes. If the "comfort" of a boat was what was important to me, I would not be looking at any inboards. The fact is, they all ride like crap. That said, bu makes a great interior, but I have never bought a boat with the interior (or exterior for that matter) being part of the equation. It's wakes, wakes, wakes. Period.

It was all about the wake or lack of for me. I had a outstanding boat before my R lxi but it did not have the wake I wanted but did fit the family needs. As soon as my son left that boat was gone and a new slalom tug moved into its place. :biggrin: I don't have a lot of extras just what I need. I have a pontoon for family and friends extended time on the water.

I do agree that there is more to the boat than how it performs. However, in my experience, function will always take precedence over form. For me, I want the boat that will make the wake/wave I like more.

No. I've grown up skiing, wakeboarding, kneeboarding, combos, tubing, trick skiing, etc. my whole life, but I assume all of the main inboard manufacturers (malibu, nautique, MC, supra, tige, etc.) produce hulls that throw a wake that will be more than adequate for my needs. I'm married with kid(s) so I'm behind the boat to have fun, not impress the ladies and hurt myself. With this premise, the primary factors for me are reliability, convenience features, aesthetics, comfort, and dealer. Reliability is a big one, since this is supposed to be an enjoyable pass time--not a headache and stress...

Of course it's all about how the boat performs. When the lake is calm, our boat is hauling someone around on the swerve stick. When it's breezy like this past weekend was, it's all about wakesurfing, lounging, swimming, and transporting coolers of beer to the sand bar. We have the best boat around for that combination of activities. It "performs" them all quite well. Could we get a better slalom boat? Sure, but we'd give up the surfing and the entertaining. Better surf boat would annoy me on the slalom ski.

Performance is important, but when you show up at work Monday morning with a sun burn no one asks what kind of boat you have they just wish they were there.

I agree with some above. it all depends on you, what you find important. That is why every boat company sells boats and not just MALIBU, cuz lets face it, Malibu boats handle the best... no contest :biggrin:

For me, 95% of my boat use is as follows.

drop boat in water.

hit "fill" on all 4 switches.

idle 300 feet to dock.

put on vest, board and set up rope.

say "yes please" and dock start

ride till I cant.

Hit "drain" on all 4 switches

idle from dock to launch

go home.

so yes, boat wake and handling characterists are all that matters really, to me atleast.

I agree with some above. it all depends on you, what you find important. That is why every boat company sells boats and not just MALIBU, cuz lets face it, Malibu boats handle the best... no contest :biggrin:

For me, 95% of my boat use is as follows.

drop boat in water.

hit "fill" on all 4 switches.

idle 300 feet to dock.

put on vest, board and set up rope.

say "yes please" and dock start

ride till I cant.

Hit "drain" on all 4 switches

idle from dock to launch

go home.

so yes, boat wake and handling characterists are all that matters really, to me atleast.

Boom! right on I love it, I just replace "yes please" with "HIT IT!" :lol:

For me, there are so many different aspects of performance. When I upgraded from my XTI to the LSV I was looking for more room, better surfing, and more flexibility on the wake. My wife was looking for a better stereo. I never seriously looked outside Malibu (I've ridden behind Malibu's since '88 and I always found a reason to NOT like the other boats). So for me,performance is:

How will it perform when towing a surfer with 12 other people in the boat?

How well does it handle rough water (ski on a large lake with lot's of chop and don't want to be bounced out of the boat on the way to our riding spot)?

How well does it produce a boarding wake for various skill levels?

How easy is it to produce a surf wake?

I also looked at the performance of my dealer. My first dealer (for the XTI) wasn't that good. They were several hours away and never seemed to be able to fit me in to their service schedule (even if I was looking for service weeks in advance).

I guess what I'm saying is that it's all about the performance, just not all about the wake performance.