Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo shorts out when on swim deck

Likeit73

I have a 2012 vlx and the stereo shorts out and shuts it off when people are playing on the swim deck. At first i thought it was just someone f.......g with me and playing with the rear controls but not so. Is their any reason this would be happening?

I have a 2012 vlx and the stereo shorts out and shuts it off when people are playing on the swim deck. At first i thought it was just someone f.......g with me and playing with the rear controls but not so. Is their any reason this would be happening?

Ghosts!

Seriously, it might be water getting into your transom remote. Some of them aren't as waterproof as they say they are.

Does your boat have the touch screen remote? My new 24 MXZ had the touch screen and for lack of a better word - it is crap! From the moment my first child walked across it, it failed. People walking over it will change the mode, volume, and channel by simply dripping water on its face. The touch screen remote is a RFXMR7 and the newest rubber button remote that replaces it is a RFXMR8. I changed mine in about 15 minutes and there are no more issues. The new rubber button remote has the exact same screen but the static contact buttons are replaced by rubberized buttons you can push-in.

Most stores have it for $139.99 but I am sure you might find a deal online that would better that price; I found it in this link for $107.27. Click this link and it will show you the RFXMR8 remote head and adding it to the the cart will show you the price: http://www.shopepal.com/p-20461-rockford-fosgate-rfxmr8-waterproof-full-function-remote-wdigital-display.aspx?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=compshop&utm_campaign=cse&CAWELAID=1912628312&catargetid=1840330257&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CMKQycfEorgCFVMV7AodcFAAQQ

I hope this helps.

DHixson that sounds like the same problem I was having, it is the touch screen...volume will change, changes mode, shuts off. Did your dealer replace it or did you have to pay out of pocket. Mines still on warranty maybe my dealer might cover something like that. Thanks

DHixson that sounds like the same problem I was having, it is the touch screen...volume will change, changes mode, shuts off. Did your dealer replace it or did you have to pay out of pocket. Mines still on warranty maybe my dealer might cover something like that. Thanks

I had several issues when I picked up my boat. My sirius module would not engage; they thought it was the module and it ended up being the Fosgate brain under the storage area of the boat. It was the RFX3000. After some research, it had issues and Fosgate has since discontinued it (remember, my boat is a brand new 2013 with discontinued radio parts). The newest brain is the RFX5000 - it is a better brain with updated circuitry and it is shielded so it blocks cell phone and other interference.

Waterski America wasn't aware of the RFX3000 being discontinued but they did reimburse me for my RFX5000 purchase without me having to ask. Also, they are using my info to fix other boats with similar issues as they arise.

On the control head, I am sure they would have reimbursed me but I didn't even tell them I changed it. It is my understanding Malibu is now putting the new remote head on all their new boats - not sure if thats the truth but it would be a good thing.

Bottom line, if you change the remote, you will fix your issues. To change it, I was able to get the nut size from my new remote and pop out one of my rear coolers so I could reach the back of the remote. With my deep socket wrench, I unscrewed the two nuts and pulled it out. Unplugged the old one and plugged in the new one and pushed it right into the same hole and installed the bracket and new nuts in no time. You will find it to be a very simple exchange.