Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need your OPINIONS about GAS COSTS!

Marc1983

Our VLX has a sticker on the back that says This boat runs on gas not thank you's!

It was on there when we bought it and its crazy the comments we get from it. We've even had people slow down on the highway to take a picture. It completely mortifies my wife but I just laugh about it. Never had anyone not offer to chip in for fuel!

• Like 1

Kind of interesting to read the different view points in here. I've debated back and forth on the issue. I'll provide the boat and gas, I expect my guests to provide food and drinks. If they pitch in for gas that's great, just don't drink all my beer! Family always rides for free. In extreme cases I might ask for gas money but it depends on the situation. I guess I'm lucky in that none of my friends are into surfing or wakeboarding. They just want to drink and relax. I just want the ballast with legs.

BTW, the best boat slut I ever had was a buddy of mine in Seattle. Everytime he came out he brought 5 gallons of gas, a bag of chips & a 1/2 case of beer. Needless to say, he had an open invite to come out anytime! :salute:

To this day, if I'm the boat slut on someone else's boat, I try hard to do all the things that I usually need help with...... gas, food & drinks, wiping down the boat, packing things in the boat & truck, launching or picking up the boat, etc.

• Like 2

I have a great crew of friends. For those that ride/surf with me on a regular basis, everyone ALWAYS brings either $20 per set or 5 gallons of premium fuel. When we are running heavily weighted, assuming a little bit of putting around but no long cruises to riding spots we burn 4-5 gallons of fuel per set. I don't worry about if someone has a really long set, or a really short one because for the regulars it always evens out. My friends also stay on top of keeping the cooler full of beer, while I provide all the ice and water. Since our marina has an ice maker with free ice I definitely get the better end of that deal. When I go out on my friend's boats I always reciprocate with cash or gas, and beer if appropriate.

The only time I don't ask for or accept gas money is when I am taking family out for a dinner cruise, taking people out to teach them to ride for the first time, or something similar. If I made a point to get them out on the water and they aren't going to be coming everyday I am more than happy to pay for the gas it takes to make that happen.

Obviously as boat owners we already encounter a lot of expenses. Insurance, truck gas, moorage/storage, maintenance are all significant costs that I am more than happy to pay. For my friends that get to ride 5 times a week without owning a boat, I have no problem letting them pitch in to help pay for gas...heck, I even accept credit cards! Getting a squareone care reader was initially a joke but it turns out it gets used at least once a week on the boat!

• Like 1

My rules on $$:

Friends (and their family members) that have a ski boat that we also use = ski for free.

Family members = ski for free.

Poor, good friends = ski for free.

Everyone else $10 per set.

Anyone who doesn't help setup, help out on the water, and help wipe down/clean up at the end of the day do not get an invite back.

Personally I would rather have someone help out on the boat than collect gas money. But I rarely use more than 15 gallons a day...one of the many positive things about not having to make a huge a** wake.

Edited by Joeprunc

I definitely appreciate all of the advice, this site has been wonderful for any help I have needed with the boat or even advice! It is a shame that people take you for granted once you own a boat, seems like I'm not the only one who has gone through this gas issue!! I'll for sure make it clear the next time to friends before they get on, and if they can't afford it well then boating is not for them!!

Thanks again

Bring them along when you stop at the gas station and when you pull up to the pump just sit and wait. When they finally break down and ask what you are waiting for say "for you to get out and pump gas" :) .

For me, I am either inviting someone along and don't expect payment, or it otherwise comes out in the wash - I go out on their boat, ride their dirt bikes, get a ride up skiing etc. If I was able to put together a regular ski outing I would probably try to work out a gas money pool.

• Like 1

I remember the good ol days like pre 2008 when gas was $1-$1.50 per gallon. Instead of spending $100+ on a Satuday you could go out for $25. I never gave this topic much thought in those days. Making less money than I did in 2007 and with gas being 3 to 4 times as much it is definitely something to think about when deciding whom to invite.

My situation is a bit unique regarding this and I'm curious what others will think.

As I like to describe it my father owns the boat but really its my baby. He's not a skier or boarder and would be fine with any I/O to take kids around in all day. But I, like my uncle, am a skier and put in my good time persuading him to go the inboard route.

As a result he purchased the boat and I (along with help from my uncle) purchased the boom, bags, surf boards, wakeboards, lines, etc. Pops purchases the parts and I do the maintenance and care myself, whereas he would just take it to a dealer.

Every weekend we go through $150-$200 of gas with friends and family. I would say half (if not more) of that is used by me and my friends. The fact of the matter is my friends and I can't "really" afford the gas. Sure we could but it would have a significant effect on the our lives, whereas my father really isn't effected by it. It's a difficult situation, my regular friends are good at caring for the boat (where my father could care less), one is a boat mechanic and the other a carpenter, so they are always there for modifications (DIY SG), winterizing, cleaning, putting docks in and out etc. I'd like to (and think I should) pay my father for gas but it really would make a difference to me. I'm not broke by any means as I really have no bills, but I am 24, a recent graduate, who just paid off school (to dad) and live with 3 roommates working a decent job. My friends are blue-collar workers going pay-check to pay-check. It's difficult for me to give my father $30 when my friends and I have burned $100 of fuel. And it's next to impossible to ask my friends for gas money knowing they would pay if they could but it's just unavailable to them.

I don't really think my father is upset about the cost. I think he understands and more than anything is just providing lessons on the cost of living and financial management. But he's a hell of a sarcastic guy and not too soft around the edges so sometimes I wonder when comments are a joke or not. He usually offers his CC when I am going to fill up gas cans to bring to the cottage so I'm sure it's not a big deal. I guess a talk wouldn't hurt, if only I could get a straight answer.

Anyways thanks for the vent, felt good and I'm curious what some of you think.

You guys filling the tank once in a while, unprompted, would, I'm sure, be appreciated.

To say that "it would make a difference to you" means that if you pay for it you have some skin in the game. What if the boat has a big mechanical issue while you and your friends are using it? "Hey dad you boat crapped out"?

No mechanical issues to date. We did put a couple unnecessary holes in it securing an amp really but that's why I'm friends with a boat mechanic. Got that fixed up out of pocket.

NO CHA CHING..... NO BLING !!!!

When my sons friends go out I always make a point of tell him to fill when he comes back to marina...while all his buddies are still in the boat. Kind of puts the pressure on them to tally up.

I always chip in for gas regardless of the length of time out riding. I think its rude not to pay or even offer. Would I ever tell someone that they could not come if they didn't pay, probably not, but it would make me think twice about sending the invite if the free riding became a everyday occurrence.

I’ve never chipped in for gas boat wise since i would always bring my Seadoo RXTX and let anyone associated with the boat ride it so it’s like me chipping in a gas tank..

Now that i have my own boat everyone who I’ve taken has either owned/currently owns a boat and they were taught the right etiquette. Each person has given me a 20.00 to pitch in for Gas since they wake board and if we have a full boat others offer their truck to pull it since we can all fit instead of taking multiple cars. The girls who tend to go just for the ride they would all pitch in and get beer/beverages for the boat and at the end of the day pitch in for like hot dogs/hamburgers so we can have a little cookout. So I must say taking the boat out isn’t bad at all for me at least. I don’t think I could afford to take my boat out as often as id want with no one pitching it would get too expensive. lol.

If you really want to mess with those who say "we'll stop at an ATM, or I forgot cash" type people here is what i did. I ordered one of those square card readers and set it up. So if they "forgot cash", they just swipe their card. In all honesty, I don't care about the money that bad, but for those few who try to take advantage, it was worth it more to see the looks on their faces when I pulled it out. I know, I suck

• Like 3

If you really want to mess with those who say "we'll stop at an ATM, or I forgot cash" type people here is what i did. I ordered one of those square card readers and set it up. So if they "forgot cash", they just swipe their card. In all honesty, I don't care about the money that bad, but for those few who try to take advantage, it was worth it more to see the looks on their faces when I pulled it out. I know, I suck

That is awesome. Please get video of the next one. I want to see the look on that person's face.

I have three different set-ups, I drive for my college wakeboard club using my own boat, for that, we all carpool to the lake were everyone in the car chips in for gas and entrance fee (i'm in california so it's a lame 25/day entrance fee), and then everyone who rides has to buy a "tow ticket" through the club and they give that to me when they ride and I turn them in at the end of the day for 10/tow ticket + a $75 flat fee for being there with my boat. I have easily towed 18 people in a day. I have to pay for all gas, and then this money is y reimbursement.

Being a college kid I don't have money to drop $150/tank in the boat and $75/tank in the car for a day, so I do definitely ask my friends for money, some are stingy and that definitely turns me off from inviting them back for "non-club riding" (see above about club riding).

Then there are the times when my dad takes the boat and my friends tag along, they usually offer some money but my dad never accepts and says he just wanted to hang out with everyone and have a good day on the water.

**Note, I do realize I am extremely lucky that my dad allows me to use the boat to thank him I do pay for about 90% of the maintenance and try to add things to the boat to keep things updated (new bluetooth, new rope, etc.)

Edited by saskicker32

My situation is a bit unique regarding this and I'm curious what others will think.

As I like to describe it my father owns the boat but really its my baby. He's not a skier or boarder and would be fine with any I/O to take kids around in all day. But I, like my uncle, am a skier and put in my good time persuading him to go the inboard route.

As a result he purchased the boat and I (along with help from my uncle) purchased the boom, bags, surf boards, wakeboards, lines, etc. Pops purchases the parts and I do the maintenance and care myself, whereas he would just take it to a dealer.

Every weekend we go through $150-$200 of gas with friends and family. I would say half (if not more) of that is used by me and my friends. The fact of the matter is my friends and I can't "really" afford the gas. Sure we could but it would have a significant effect on the our lives, whereas my father really isn't effected by it. It's a difficult situation, my regular friends are good at caring for the boat (where my father could care less), one is a boat mechanic and the other a carpenter, so they are always there for modifications (DIY SG), winterizing, cleaning, putting docks in and out etc. I'd like to (and think I should) pay my father for gas but it really would make a difference to me. I'm not broke by any means as I really have no bills, but I am 24, a recent graduate, who just paid off school (to dad) and live with 3 roommates working a decent job. My friends are blue-collar workers going pay-check to pay-check. It's difficult for me to give my father $30 when my friends and I have burned $100 of fuel. And it's next to impossible to ask my friends for gas money knowing they would pay if they could but it's just unavailable to them.

I don't really think my father is upset about the cost. I think he understands and more than anything is just providing lessons on the cost of living and financial management. But he's a hell of a sarcastic guy and not too soft around the edges so sometimes I wonder when comments are a joke or not. He usually offers his CC when I am going to fill up gas cans to bring to the cottage so I'm sure it's not a big deal. I guess a talk wouldn't hurt, if only I could get a straight answer.

Anyways thanks for the vent, felt good and I'm curious what some of you this

You sound like you're a spoiled brat that is taking advantage of your dad. If you use it fill it if you can't afford to fill it don't use it. Better yet buy your own boat. Why should your dad pay for your adult friends?

"Priorities" you need to fix them.

• Like 4

You sound like you're a spoiled brat that is taking advantage of your dad. If you use it fill it if you can't afford to fill it don't use it. Better yet buy your own boat. Why should your dad pay for your adult friends?

"Priorities" you need to fix them.

At least he is not calling his parent's boat (or house, tow vehicle, etc) "our" boat, car, etc. Drives me nuts. Maybe I should do that...I'd have a lot of "our homes" and "our cars" if that was the case.

At least he is not calling his parent's boat (or house, tow vehicle, etc) "our" boat, car, etc. Drives me nuts. Maybe I should do that...I'd have a lot of "our homes" and "our cars" if that was the case.

Maybe not in this thread, but I've seen him call it "his" in several others...

I just start dancing on the sun deck with the orange flags to Techno, do some vouge. Most just start flinggin cash so I take them back to shore. Others on the lake pay up too to make it stop.

Edited by racer808
  • Like 2

Just recently bought my first boat 2010 wakesetter vlx! I have no problem being able to afford the gas costs for my riding habits! Now my friends are coming riding often, should they be chipping in??? I have asked them to but seems like all of a sudden they feel like they shouldn't! Any insight on this??

First off the ones that feel that they shouldn't help with gas money should be kicked to the curb. I never ask for gas money from my riders but anyone with any common courtesy should offer.

If someone goes and doesn't offer gas money, they don't get asked to go again.

• Like 2

I know some of the guys I take out are flat broke. It is the thought that counts. Flip me a $5 and it means a lot to me, honestly. It doesn't even come close to paying for the pull, but I feel way better about inviting them out again.

But I do not invite people out to subsidize my habit. If I invite them for the first time, I only expect labor costs and a good time. Any money is a nice suprise. Now if we are going multiple times, I expect a little cash flow.

• Like 1