Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need your OPINIONS about GAS COSTS!

Marc1983

Just recently bought my first boat 2010 wakesetter vlx! I have no problem being able to afford the gas costs for my riding habits! Now my friends are coming riding often, should they be chipping in??? I have asked them to but seems like all of a sudden they feel like they shouldn't! Any insight on this??

My friends are invited to come with me and take a ride. If they want do ist again i talk about the Gascoast for a hour and i except sharing the coast... In germany i pay 7,53$ for the gallon..... :(

I think people should at least offer....it is up to you whether you take it or not. I can definitely pay for my gas, but I was told by a family member that this is the price you pay for owning a boat...no offer to pay for gas, and that is after her kids were in my boat all weekend. They wakeboarded more than I hydrofoiled. Over the fourth, I ran through about $180 of fuel. No one chipped in for gas and no one helped clean the boat or wipe it down. Friends that own boats always chip in because they know all the work that goes into it. I guess I would just like the gesture offered. I guess it is the a sign of the times.

You find out who your friends are when you buy a boat.......

When we go for the day, I don't require they give money as I'm going anyway. When we go to my place at the river, I tell everyone it's $30 and a 30 pack (or a case of rockstar) for admission.where else are you going to find accomadations and a boat for that cheap? Plus the beer is for everyone anyway.

And Mac, I agree with your family member about it being the price for owning a boat, HOWEVER, if I was actually told that, they would not be invited again. I'll do for those who appreciate it, (or at least act like they do), but not for those who are just going to be an a$$ with comments like that.

Edited by wakebrdr94

I definitely appreciate all of the advice, this site has been wonderful for any help I have needed with the boat or even advice! It is a shame that people take you for granted once you own a boat, seems like I'm not the only one who has gone through this gas issue!! I'll for sure make it clear the next time to friends before they get on, and if they can't afford it well then boating is not for them!!

Thanks again

I should have been a little clearer. A boat is the best investment in terms of family and friends and making memories, and spending time with people. It is the worst investment in terms of cost. I know I have friends that are strapped for cash, and I know the friends that are just cheap a$$es. You can require your buddies pay 10, 20 bucks, or whatever. But you don't want to lose friends over it. Like I said, I'll do for those who appreciate, I have no problem charging the cheap a$$ ( you know the one friend that always goes to the bathroom when it's his turn to buy a round), but I'll let someone slide if they are really hurting and enjoy being out with us. So no maybe they can't afford boating, but that doesn't mean they don't appreciate being out there. We're pretty fortunate to be in the position we are in and own these awesome toys, and if I can share this lifestyle we have with people who genuinely appreciate it, it's worth it.

Edited by wakebrdr94

I agree. A lot of times I never accept fuel money but if a guy consistently doesn't offer to chip in he will not be invited back. I have a pretty consistent crew which I'm sure most peoe do so its routine for them. They know the after riding wipe downs and loading habits I have.

this is a tough issue for me b/c it is very expensive not only for gas for the boat but for the cost of the boat the cost of having a truck to pull it and the cost of the gas for the truck to pull the boat there.

Alot of people don't understand how expensive this is, usually every day/weekend I take the boat out I spend around $150-200 for gas in the truck and boat. 90% of the time people do not offer to help us pay for gas but for me and my wife we like to have the company there with us so we still invite regardless. My wife and I really enjoy going to the lake on the weekends so we feel like we would be out there regardless of if anyone came with us or not.

I will say it does pinch my nerves when people want to hog the wakeboard or tube on my boat and with my gas. So usually when we have a big group I have to dictate people's time so everyone gets a turn.

It is the worst investment in terms of cost. .

Absolut! But i enjoy every Minute on the water and come home after that total relaxed...

I would agree, for spending time with family it has been amazing so I have no regrets at all about the purchase and as for my own pleasure "I love to ride" and ya having friends on is always a blast regardless if they pay or not!! Appreciation is always nice like a few of you have said, help with the wipe downs or just packing things up!!

I am OK with footing my own fuel bill. But that being said responsible friends at least offer to share in the expenses, weather you take it is up to you. I always offer to pay for fuel if I am out on someone's boat. I usually will not take no for an answer. Just my $.02

I wont usually charge those who just ride along....but those doing sports, entirely different story.

I typical surf session is 2-3hrs. I will burn 30-60$ in fuel. It costs me $20ish round trip eac day for the gas in the truck.

My top #1 buddy throws me $100 every 3-4 trips. others usually throw 20-40$ per session. I will bring new guys on an introduce them to the sport... but after about the 2-3rd time if they arent helping out, they dont get invited back. not being a snot, but time is short and this isnt cheap. Im a pretty good judge and pretty selective about who I invite. And wont be steamrolled or pressured on the spot to bring more folks if I dont want to. Put me on the spot and you'll get your feeling hurt.

Monthly payment- straight ugly.

$60 monthly insurance.

$110 monthly boat storage.

$70 a weekend truck gas.

$100 a weekend in boat gas

$1500 in wakesurf boards and gear

other than the group wipedown at the ramp.....waxing the boat, oil change and cleanup---myself on my time, usually late at night, $100 a summer in boat care products and $100 for oil/maintenence.

So Yep, dont feel bad about asking folks who come for watersports to do more than their fair share gas wise. If You wanna surf a world class surf wake, it costs. I dont work 70hrs a week for nothing.

• Like 2

Some friends pay me a couple bucks for gas, others bring the food/beer for the grill afterwards, and one pays for my dockage for the year. I have a couple friends that I take out but do not ask them for anything, they are going through a rough patch and wouldn't fathom asking them to chip in. Overall though, it is a big red entry on the budget. But I would say it's worth it.

Does anyone feel that since you are doing the inviting of people that you shouldn't require them to chip in for fuel? Almost like, do you want to come over for dinner? Oh, by the way, dinner will cost you $30 but I will prepare it for you.

If they are inviting themselves or offering to join, that is a different story.

I think it is all up to you really. What are you comfortable carrying for your friends. Of everyone in my circle, I am the one not strapped for cash. I recognize this and don't expect money for gas. I do expect action from them. Every time someone new comes on the boat they get my "Rules of the Boat" speech. It basically goes:

1. No horseplay in front of the captain's chair (thank you MalibuCrew)

2. Smoking is done sitting on the platform with you back to the boat

3. If you see the cooler needs refilling refill it

4. Everyone pitches in at the end of the day to clean the boat

5. Failure on 1-3 and I will leave you in the water (I say it as a joke, but with a mean face)

6. Failure on 4 and you wont be invited back

You can control peoples actions on the boat. You own the boat, it is your house. I expect people to recognize that and treat it as such. I have no problem calling people out, and all but one time they have been receptive to it. Most people are grateful to be on the water and will want to show appreciation. For the last part, I think because I enforce my rules throughout the day, everyone always helps out. To me that is so nice. Everyone made the mess; no one wants to clean at the end of the day when you are tired, but it needs to be done.

Back the the original point. I do this all the time to everyone on the boat. I have never had to ask for something. I breed an environment on the boat that has everyone investing to keep it nice and well kept and because of this everyone that comes out doesn't show up empty-handed the second time. They might not bring gas money, but before they come out they will ask if we need something. I will tell them to bring the ice, snacks, beer. Whatever.

This is how I handle it.

Edited by wakedncsu

Does anyone feel that since you are doing the inviting of people that you shouldn't require them to chip in for fuel? Almost like, do you want to come over for dinner? Oh, by the way, dinner will cost you $30 but I will prepare it for you.

I don't think it's quite the same. Picture it on a regular basis. Or, I'm going out to the bars, want to come, but you have to pay your own cover?

I've been lucky enough that everyone who comes out has paid or offered to pay for gas with out me asking. I also chip in when I go out on others boats and never been asked.

However, if someone didn't even offer to chip in, I would hesitate to invite out them again. It's not hard to find the 'right' people to share you boat investment with. Get new friends.

First time out, I don't expect people to pay. Maybe bring some beer for everyone.

If you want to keep coming out, it's time to help out.

• Like 2

I have never asked for or accepted any cash for having friends and family spend time on the water with me. I have, however, found cash in random spots on my boat and in my truck that I'm pretty sure I didn't put there

Depends who it is that is coming along. If it is my friends and I darn well know they can afford to chip in then I tell them right up front when I do the inviting. "Hey we are going riding this evening. If you wanna come bring 20 bones!" I figure it is the same as if I ask my buddies to go golfing. If I say let's go golfing such and such a day that doesn't mean I am going to pay for their round too. In this day and age there is a cost to everything. I figure $20 to spend a few hours on the water is pretty reasonable.

If it is a new person coming or a buddy is bringing his buddy who is in town from out of town or my buddy from out of town or it's someone's kid then I don't expect them to offer anything. I guess it depends on the situation. If it is my regular crew and I know they can afford it then chipping in is expected.

First time out, I don't expect people to pay. Maybe bring some beer for everyone.

If you want to keep coming out, it's time to help out.

+1, with the exception that we drag a ton of teenagers out with us and we all know they don't have any money. They do, however stick around to wipe the boat down & clean it out afterwards. There have been a few that don't and they just don't get invited back or if they ask, they get told by our kids that the expectation is they help out after the fun is done. Some of them have never been around a boat and just don't have a clue as to what it takes to take care of one, but they are learning. We believe part of our job is to teach those that are willing to learn.

If it's weekend boating with other families and no wakeboarding I generally don't expect gas money. But if it's a wakeboaridng session with buddies, I usually expect, and get gas money. Usually $10/set if using the wedge. But then again, most of my regular crew owns a boat as well and understands gas costs. If I'm taking someone new who is just learning to wakeboard, I don't expect anything and wouldn't ask. But if they keep coming back that's a different story. I'll gas up at the marina before and they see what I'm spending - they usually recognize the costs. If not, they're not asked back. I have a friend who just doesnt get it however. Him and his type are not wedge-worthy!

Edited by mikeyg