Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much fuel do you consume per hour on average?

Fman

We just burned 37 gallons of fuel today on the lake, we surfed with about 2500 lbs of weight + wedge, and wakeboarded will full mls and wedge and a variety of other ballast configs. I put 6 hours on the boat today.... I had 9 people in the boat, our fuel consumption today was 6.1 gallons per hour doing these activites. This was at 2000' elevation, Monsoon 350, Acme 1235 ( 2315 coming soon!). I was told the higher elevation causes the engine to burn more fuel because of the motor loosing HP with elevation loss.

My tank is 44 gallons, the fuel gauge reads completely empty with about 8-9 gallons of fuel left.... I am a little bummed about this size tank, to ride a full day I have to go back to the marina mid-day and top-off to make it to the late evening. Would be nice if Malibu would put a 50 gallon tank in the 21' boats.

That is a pretty small tank, i am surprised.

Not sure about burning more fuel at higher altitude. The air is less dense and therefore has less oxygen. Less oxygen means less power and less fuel being used. That's if you have a EFI engine that compensates for air density in some way which you do. A carb motor may go thru more fuel if not adjusted for the lower air density at high altitude.

I was at bear lake Utah which I think is 6000ft and used about the same fuel per hour as lower altitude. That beating said I spent a lot of time at WOT. If I was at a lower lake and had it at WOT that much it would have gone thru way more fuel.

But I think I have a 80 gallon tank so I am. It worried about it as much.

Oh we did almost run out on the last day of our 4 day trip.. The gauge went completely empty and we surfed for another 45 min and still made it back. I kept forgetting it was empty. I will be filling it up tomorrow and find out exactly how low it was

Mike

MalibuNation

6 gallons per hour is what I'm getting ... it's a mix of skiing and wakeboarding for us. Also we go non-stop with very little cruise ... we're out there on a mission.

I am not sure exactly what my consumption is, but I run the 1235 at altitude & never thought much of my consumption cause at most even after a 8 hour day I was never below half a tank (38 gallon tank). This past week at sea level running that 1235 prop my boat drank gas like crazy! I was burning almost a full tank of gas surfing, boarding, driving. The guy at the prop shop told me I would burn more fuel at sea level with the 1235 but I didn't think it would be as noticeable as it was.

My fuel tank is stamped at 44 gallons, my 2011 was stamped at 48 gallons... kind of strange two different size tanks.

The 2315 from what I have heard uses less fuel because you are not working the motor as hard. The boat takes a lot of fuel plaining out right now, hopefully with the 2315 holeshot will be much better. Maybe turning more rpm's exceeds the improved holeshot and ends up burning more fuel?

Will be interesting to see the difference between the two in fuel consumption.

When just wakeboarding with stock ballast I burn 5 gallons per engine hour with the Monsoon 350 and 1235 prop. When I load it up with all the extra ballast I am in the 6-7 gallons per engine hour range wakeboarding. I top off the tank after each time on the water, so it's very easy to record exactly how many gallons I burned.

Does anybody know exactly how much the 2012 VLX fuel tank holds? I have seen some specs list 44 gallons, and some list 41 gallons. And yes my fuel gauge also showed completely empty after burning 38 gallons in one day. Just curious to know if I really had 3 or 7 gallons left.

Edited by Brett B

When just wakeboarding with stock ballast I burn 5 gallons per engine hour with the Monsoon 350 and 1235 prop. When I load it up with all the extra ballast I am in the 6-7 gallons per engine hour range wakeboarding. I top off the tank after each time on the water, so it's very easy to record exactly how many gallons I burned.

Does anybody know exactly how much the 2012 VLX fuel tank holds? I have seen some specs list 44 gallons, and some list 41 gallons. And yes my fuel gauge also showed completely empty after burning 38 gallons in one day. Just curious to know if I really had 3 or 7 gallons left.

The fuel tank size is stamped on your tank. How are you liking yout 2315? are you noticing more fuel consumption?

The fuel tank size is stamped on your tank. How are you liking yout 2315? are you noticing more fuel consumption?

Thanks I'll look for it.

I do like the 2315, it has much more low end torque than the 1235. When riding with just the factory 1250 lbs of ballast full I had to ask the wife to take it a bit easier on the throttle when pulling me up, she was almost pulling my arms off. It may be overkill if you never run lots of extra weight.

Not sure on the fuel consumption yet, as every time we have ridden so far this year we have filled the extra ballast. Since I can run more ballast with the 2315 than I could with the 1235 it has burned more fuel when doing so which makes sense. Next time that I am out running just stock ballast I should get a good comparison. I suspect there will be very little difference. It does get up to plane sooner, but it also runs about 100rpm higher at wakeboarding speeds, so I think it will pretty much even out.

Edited by Brett B

So according to my brochure for 2007 the vlx and vtx both had bigger fuel tanks than they do now? 2007 brochure says I have a 46 gallon fuel tank on my vlx whereas a 2013 vlx only has a 41 gallon fuel tank? Weird. Must be a reason they couldn't fit a bigger fuel tank in the newer boats. Wonder if it has anything to do with the wet tek floors?

So according to my brochure for 2007 the vlx and vtx both had bigger fuel tanks than they do now? 2007 brochure says I have a 46 gallon fuel tank on my vlx whereas a 2013 vlx only has a 41 gallon fuel tank? Weird. Must be a reason they couldn't fit a bigger fuel tank in the newer boats. Wonder if it has anything to do with the wet tek floors?

Your 13 should be a 44 gallon tank, look on the top of the tank, it will have a stamp on it.

We are usually around 5 gallons per hour when we are skiing or wakeboarding. It is a whole lot more when we are pulling tubes like we did with the church group a week and a half ago. I think I burned through a little more than half a tank in 3 hours.

I have a 2013 22MXZ with the LS3 and 1235 prop. On average we burn 5-6 GPH using stock ballast and five people on board wen surfing and wakeb0arding. Elevation is about 683'. Not too bad as far as I am concerned. The MXZ does had a 50 gallon and I though we were empty according to the gauges, and sweating it a bit, but i realized after filling up we actually had 8 gallons in reserve. Honestly i like it that way. I'd take a 75 gallon tank if they offered one.

145 gallons on 35 hours this year so far. Mixed bag for use (surfing, wake boarding, slalom skiing, tubing, cruising). Carrying 5 gallons at a time makes it easy to keep track of the total.

You're about in the ball park as far as fuel consumption. 2500lbs of ballast, wedge down and 9 people you're moving almost 9000lbs of mass thru water. I have yet to burn a full tank of mine but I'll get a sticker shock at the pump if I ever burn 65 gallons in my tank.

Rode this weekend. Over almost 8 hrs on the boat clock, we burned thru about 35 gallons of gas using the stock 900 lbs of ballast, and 4 or 5 guys in the boat. So 4.3 gallons/hr?

Rode this weekend. Over almost 8 hrs on the boat clock, we burned thru about 35 gallons of gas using the stock 900 lbs of ballast, and 4 or 5 guys in the boat. So 4.3 gallons/hr?

I wonder if the reduced drag of no wedge and a foil help with fuel economy.

I wonder if the reduced drag of no wedge and a foil help with fuel economy.

I'm pretty sure it does. Plus we run at a pretty ideal RPM range.... 26 mph = 3200 RPM on my Vride.

BTW, good to see you guys again. Wish we could do it more often. Great progress in your riding, despite the 2 yr break in training. :rockon:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 1

3.2 GPH with the 1235 no ballast but 600 lbs lead plus 8+ adults plus full fuel plus gear 75% of the time, and 4000 lbs plus 8+ people and fuel and gear 25% of the time in my A22 with no wedge and 335 CAT motor at 1400 feet.

3.5 GPH with the 2315 no ballast with 800 lbs lead plus 8+ adults plus full fuel and gear 75% of the time and 4200 lbs plus 8+ people and fuel and gear 25% of the time with no wedge.

All these tests were done with riding only, wakeboarding or wakeskating only, no cruising, motor off to change riders... rode approx 20-25 riders all 4 times I tested my gph.

Definately can run a lot more weight with the 2315 so I can't directly compare the 2 props and my consumption.

I don't know if I got a wednesday motor or what, but my fuel consumption is amazing... even with the OJ cinco and 4000 lbs. I do not run the wedge and I think that there may be a lot more drag and fuel consumption with the wedge being used.

Edited by JohnnyDefacto