Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Box Anchor has let me down,

Wakesetter67

Not sure what i'm doing wrong this year, My Box anchor has been really reliable, until this season, Let me down 3 times, all in different areas, And I know for at least 2 there was soft clay, I'am just using my regular rope not the elastic type, I did notice it was straight down one time so maybe I need to extend the rope, any one else have this problem?? There was medium wind,

The anchor works best with tension against it. That's why the anchor buddy/shore spike system is so great when combined with the box anchor. You can create tension on the anchor line which sets the anchor. In variable winds / waves, especially with a short rope, I can see it walking all over the place.

• Like 1

I was reading a anchor rope bag and they recommended a ratio of 7:1 which seems extreme to me but your anchor would likely hold!

Edited by old skool malibu
  • Like 1

67- you still need SOME scope like Boz says..... were there boat wakes pitching your boat??? THAT with just a regular rope on a short scope WILL yank that box anchor loose.... put an elastic 4-8ft section in your line and it will take the shock out of any inbound wakes.... and will keep your bow front yanking that anchor up off the lake floor when a roller comes thru.

I use one of these in front of my dock line as my area is very active with other boaters.... makes ALL the difference. the longer the elastic piece the greater the shock reduction of rollers.

41rtG70-N3L-277x250.jpg

Edited by nyryan2001
  • Like 3
  • 1 month later...

I was reading a anchor rope bag and they recommended a ratio of 7:1 which seems extreme to me but your anchor would likely hold!

67- you still need SOME scope like Boz says..... were there boat wakes pitching your boat??? THAT with just a regular rope on a short scope WILL yank that box anchor loose.... put an elastic 4-8ft section in your line and it will take the shock out of any inbound wakes.... and will keep your bow front yanking that anchor up off the lake floor when a roller comes thru.

I use one of these in front of my dock line as my area is very active with other boaters.... makes ALL the difference. the longer the elastic piece the greater the shock reduction of rollers.

41rtG70-N3L-277x250.jpg

I also have 4 feet of heavy chain attached to anchor.

Use a HEAVY chunk of bungee cord tied into the rope itself to absorb some of the shock on wavy days, and you'll be set