Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

If you had a budget of 62k, what will you buy?

Afun

I live in Knoxville...TN Orange. People love that color here. 2014 AXIS WITH Surfgate...that's the way to go.

then I happily stand corrected........

motor not a necessary upgrade but like anyone building a boat you may find you self adding your budget to 70k if you can really see the value of ordering the perfect boat of what you want. honestly you can buy a used or left over you really like or order exactly what you want with the options and color you want. then you have a boat you love.

think of it this way,

how much will you use it?

do you want more power?

what sports do you want to do?

you mentioned surfing

do you have regular and goofy riders riding?

types of passengers ? ie small kids wife friends

do you want to fill extra sacs and put on seats, floor or locker?

what is the life cycle of the boat? how long will you keep it?

if 62 is your top price buying used you may want to spend less and have a bit of a nest egg for repairs or maintence.

just a few things to contemplate

I have a black boat. black gets hot but not as hot as the gray carpet and white vinyl inside. I was surprised at how "not hot" it was. I don't feel too much difference between my friends white boats and my black boat on a nor cal 105 day. As for maintanence, well thats a different story. As my wife says when she wears her high heels, "it hurts to be beautiful". That is my biggest concern in the long term is how glossy and new it will look 5 or 10 years down the road. I see lots of wax jobs in the future. Good thing I have a great deatil crew at my disposal.

If your main focus is wakeboarding, I would buy a 2014 A22 with the 350, torque prop, stereo pack 2, tandem standard trailer, sg, and standard bimini. A good dealer should be able to get you that boat for damn close to your price range. Keep the colors simple or go all white and that will keep your costs down. My gut tells me the '14's will hold their values very very will, due to the addition of sg. You get a warranty. You get to custom order your own boat. You know it has not been abused, and you get to make a relationship with a local dealer. Now, this is hearsay, because I have not ridden behind one yet, but I have been told that the sg A22 produces one of the best waves in the bu lineup. I'm dead serious. So, if this is accurate, and a demo will tell, the sg A22 may end up being an awesome all around boat for wake and surf. My non-sg A22's surfed pretty good, but you're not going to get an LSV size/shape wave behind one of those. I'm not sure how the sg system makes the wave so good, but if it does, great for Axis.

I would hold out and see if the rumor is true that the 2014 Axis is coming out with surfgate. That would be a game changer for me.

Cb

I like the black too. I've considered it for the new boat I will order, but probably won't due to two things

1 where I boat it's typical to reach 110+ degrees, not sure if I want to get burned by the boat

2 even with how anal I am, I question how well I could maintain the hull when there is the eventual scratch or two, or just water spots. We have a dock in front of our house and wipe down everything above the water line at the end of the day. Maybe I'm too Anal, but someone with a black hull can chime in on that one. They do look awesome though

I have a black hull on my '13 vlx, 62 hours on my boat to date this season, not a single issue with the black hull to this point. I wipe down boat with speed gloss after every outing, no water spot issues either...

if you really like surfing demo a 22mxz with SG this will be as close to an A22 with SG as you can get and it will sell you on SG.

If your main focus is wakeboarding, I would buy a 2014 A22 with the 350, torque prop, stereo pack 2, tandem standard trailer, sg, and standard bimini. A good dealer should be able to get you that boat for damn close to your price range. Keep the colors simple or go all white and that will keep your costs down. My gut tells me the '14's will hold their values very very will, due to the addition of sg. You get a warranty. You get to custom order your own boat. You know it has not been abused, and you get to make a relationship with a local dealer. Now, this is hearsay, because I have not ridden behind one yet, but I have been told that the sg A22 produces one of the best waves in the bu lineup. I'm dead serious. So, if this is accurate, and a demo will tell, the sg A22 may end up being an awesome all around boat for wake and surf. My non-sg A22's surfed pretty good, but you're not going to get an LSV size/shape wave behind one of those. I'm not sure how the sg system makes the wave so good, but if it does, great for Axis.

Once the used boat market gets flooded with the Surf Gate boats, I do expect the non-Surf Gate boats to drop in value. I agree, Axis with Surf Gate would be a game changer.

a 2014 A22 with surfgate for 62? Yeah right.

If I had 62 to blow it would most definitely be in the used market. SO much more bang for your buck. A used VLX or Vride would be my first choice. A used X2 would be awesome too. Heck, the boats I just listed you could easily find for much less than 62....... which would leave you cash to ballast the thing the way you want, upgrade the items you want to and make the boat your own.

BS, for like the tenth time, Axises are not as expensive as you apparently think. You could keep a 14 under 62 with relatively little issue. LS3, Z5, flake, and loaded up? No, but a basic hull color and non-premium accent color, black tower, and 350, could be done pretty easily.

You can get a 14' a22 w/SG for less than 62k if you do not go overboard on options. If you want to test one mine will be here first week of August.

Yes mine was more than 62k but I loaded it out Vandall Edition.

I'm not sure it's fair to suggest that an mxz will be anything like an A22, except for the fact that both boats are 22 ft and both are pickle forks. The a22 has more cabin space than the MXZ, and the surf wave is different. There is no spray with the new A22 wave (I have been told).

As DatTexasBoy stated, a non-vandall sg a22 with good options and the standard motor should be within the op's budget.

Sg is not standard, the standard motor is not the 410, and pnp is not exactly and expensive option. Why anyone would opt for the 410 at this point is just beyond me. There's absolutely no point in that motor unless you are skiing. The torque curves are essentially the same between the 350 and the 410 where it counts. Why do people not have this figure out yet? The only motor options worth the money in an A22 are the 350 and the LS3.

Edited by Chattwake

I have a black hull. When I was trailering it back and forth there were no issues whatsoever keeping it clean. If you're mooring it, you'd better just get used to the idea that it ain't gonna look pretty all the time. Tons of elbow grease a couple times a year cleans it right up though. I'd own another one in a second.

What's the weather where you live? I'm curious off 110+ degrees is an issue. I really do like the all black. Parker, AZ gets hot. It was 123 a few weeks ago when I was there

I have had several solid black boats, and I found them no harder to care for, and not much hotter, than any other boat I've owned. IMO, they look the best.

Why do people not have this figure out yet? The only motor options worth the money in an A22 are the 350 and the LS3.

Haha. To be fair Chattwake, most people haven't owned both models and keep their boats for more that 1 season. :biggrin: Yes, i'm jelly.

Just priced this out, for reference.

2014 Axis A22
350 Monsoon 5.7L CAT
Dual Batteries
Flip Up Bolster Captains Seat
Chillax Seating
Plug'N'Play HI FLO
Stereo 1
Auto Set Wedge
Removable Carpet
2nd Tracking Fin
Depth
Surfgate
Fixed Board Racks
3-Outlet Heater
Tandem Axle Trailer
Retractable Tie Down Straps
Price...$62,500
Tax......$3,750
Sub Total...$66,250

$62k.... hmmm... Wakesurfing???

I'd be looking at a 2009 - 2010ish 23LSV or 247. 410hp motor. here are some shots in that range and price.... Chessie is a top notch Dealer BTW.

http://www.waterskiamerica.com/m_vehicledetail.asp?pov=3295945

http://www.waterskiamerica.com/m_vehicledetail.asp?pov=2699657

http://www.chessiemarine.com/Chessie_Marine/Used_Boats/Entries/2011/12/3_2008_Correct_Craft_230_Team_Edition_%2458%2C900.html

I'm not sure it's fair to suggest that an mxz will be anything like an A22, except for the fact that both boats are 22 ft and both are pickle forks. The a22 has more cabin space than the MXZ, and the surf wave is different. There is no spray with the new A22 wave (I have been told).

As DatTexasBoy stated, a non-vandall sg a22 with good options and the standard motor should be within the op's budget.

i was referring to that exactly the large bow and surfgate. yes the wakes are different obviously as they are different hulls but the running gear if you test with the 350 would give you a comparable size and handling feeling.

Where can I find a lot for $50k? I'm in. Nothing near those prices in this portion Of the country

You'd have to leave CA for sure! Lake house.com has a lot of good deals at lakes here in the Midwest.